Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Individual Weapon Sensitivities tweak

FIXED FOR ONLINE PLAY!
    Hey guys. I don't know about anyone else, but during my time playing UT2K4, I came to find that individual weapon sensitivities improved my playing considerably!

Generally, a low sensitivity was great for weapons such as the sniper & shock rifle, but that made camera movement quite sluggish and unresponsive. As such, in mid to close combat, I'd die very regularly. A high sensitivity was great for close to mid range combat with rockets or flack, but would make me a sitting duck from long distance hitscan. A mid sensitivity was, inititally, the better option. I'd find that I would die less and kill more - But I still would have trouble hitting the top of the score table, or getting the rush of adrenalin when "Wicked Sick" bellowed from the speakers.

But with a couple of ini tweaks, these issues could be resolved by simply piping a switch weapon and set sensitivity command. In close range combat with sniper selected? No worries - I'd hit mouse button 4, whip out the flack, and bump up the sensitivity a few notches. Having trouble hitting someone with a shock rifle whilst they are bouncing all over the place? Sorted, hit the tild key, drive the sensitivity down to half normal level, shoot them, then hit mouse button 4 again to push it up to a level suitable for manouverability.

During my short time playing UT3, I've come to find that I really missed having these individual sensitivities, and was confused as to why I could not pipe these commands in UTInput.ini. Today, I figured out how to do it! And to be honest, it's really, really easy! I feel a little foolish for having missed it the last few months. I even added a post to the Patch request thread, requesting it be made a feature!

This really simple tweak can make all the difference, and hopefully, you'll find yourself, if not dying less, at least killing *alot* more.

Anyway, as an example I'm going to show you how easy it is. I'm using a Razer diamonback Plasma mouse - This mouse has 2 side mouse buttons (well 4, but 2 are duplicated for left & right handed users). Default sensitivity will be set to 1000 (or 10 for the purposes of the ini). Please be advised that to change the default sensitivity, you will *have* set set it in the UI. You cannot change the default sensitivity in UTInput.ini. It will be ignored & overwritten. I'll bind selecting the rocket launcher to thumb button 1, and the flack to thumb button 2. With each, the sensitivity will ramp up to 4000. I'll bind the shock rilfe to mouse button 3, and set the sensitivity back to 1000. And I'll bind halving the sensitivity to the 'H' key. Please note that these are keys of my choice. You can replace them with almost any key that you wish - Just as long as it's not bound to another action.

It may be a good idea to study your UTInput.ini a little first of all. For those that don't know, it should be in your mydocs folder under games. This file is used to define the way UT3 responds to your input from the keyboard, mouse, or gamepad. It's split into different sections, with headers like [Engine.PlayerInput]. The only section we need to concern ourselves with is the [Engine.PlayerInput]. Which just as luck has it, is the first section we come across. A good idea would be to note down which weapons correspond to which number. For example, shock rifle is weapon 4, flack is 7, and rocket launcher is 8.

Ok, first port of call is to find UTInput.ini, and make a copy of it for backup purposes. Copy it into the same folder, and call it quite frankly, whatever you want Second, and this is VERY important, we need to make sure that the keys we are using, are not bound. This cannot be done in the ini. We need to do this from the game. Run UT3 and go into the input section. As aforementioned, the keys I chose for the example were middle mouse button, thumb buttons 1 & 2, and the H key. I already had these keys bound to shock, flack, rocket, and fake death. So I needed to unbind these keys first. To unbind a key, scroll down the list until you see what action it is associated with. Remember this key. Scroll back up to the fire action definition. Click on it, and change it to the key you wish to unbind. A duplicate bind warning will appear. Just ok it. You'll see that the key has now been bound to fire. Re-bind fire to the left mouse button, and behold, the original key is now unbound. Once you have finished unbinding the keys you wish to use, exit the game and open UTInput.ini

Scroll down the list a little until you see the key you wish to bind. In this case, to be honest, you shouldn't see any of the keys I have chosen on the list (unless you have already manually modified the ini - in which case you should know what to do anyway). So in most cases, if you're binding the same 4 keys I am, you shouldn't have to unbind anything.

At the end of the first section (just before you get to [Engine.DebugCameraInput]), add the following lines of code:

Bindings=(Name="H",Command="setsensitivity 5.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Bindings=(Name="ThumbMouseButton",Command="GBA_Swi tchWeapon7 | setsensitivity 40.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Bindings=(Name="ThumbMouseButton2",Command="GBA_Sw itchWeapon8 | setsensitivity 40.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Bindings=(Name="MiddleMouseButton",Command="GBA_Sw itchWeapon4 | setsensitivity 10.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Hopefully, the above should be pretty self explainatory. The first set of quotation marks indicates the key you wish to bind. After that follows the piped command (2 commands linked by a '|' ). GBA_SwitchWeaponX (where X is the weapon number) is pretty straight forward. The important part comes after the '|'. This actually changes the sensitivity. The default on my setup is 1000 (in the UI using patch 1.1). To convert the UI sensitivity to one usable in the INI, just divide the number by 100.

Higher values work well for mid to close range weapons, and lower ones for hitscan. I prefer to set an extra key to really lower the sensitivity whilst using the sniper scope. Just experiment and see what works for you.

Well, that's pretty much it. Not that much to it, but it really, really can make a difference. Hopefully I've explained it well enough - If not, just P.M. me, and I'll try and explain it better.

Later guys
    -Dan

nice!

Could you make it so that the sensitivity automaticly goes down by 100 when I pick up the sniper rifle? (Your post was too long to read all of it lol)
    I've got the Logitech G5, so I can set my sensitivity up and down pretty easely. But I don't really have time for that when I'm running around ingame!

Comment

quite nice (and is not a new idea)

It's nice 'cause every weapon has a best distance use and, for this reason, best mousesens.
      "Quite" nice, if U try to switch a weapon U haven't got or you run outof ammo and another weapon switch automatically.

Binding 2 key for 2 sensitivity maybe is a good idea.

Comment

PS3 players like the assisted aim too

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
          PS3 players like the assisted aim too
          Some players are just better than others. If it helps someone aim better, then whats the problem. Why not give it a go, and become more "leet" than you already must be

Comment

Originally posted by Danhalen View Post
            Some players are just better than others. If it helps someone aim better, then whats the problem. Why not give it a go, and become more "leet" than you already must be
            It's just that for offline, it is completely "acceptable". Buf auto-aim offline, is called an aimbot online.
            It may not be unfair if everybody can do it, bur IMHO this is over-tweaking for online play.
            And my reference to the PS3 is related on how some players make fun of it's aim assist, when they have mice with sens adjustment. OT, but came to mind though

Comment

Im not entirely sure what I just read?

Are you physically talking about making custom sensativity to particular guns?

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                It's just that for offline, it is completely "acceptable". Buf auto-aim offline, is called an aimbot online.
                It may not be unfair if everybody can do it, bur IMHO this is over-tweaking for online play.
                And my reference to the PS3 is related on how some players make fun of it's aim assist, when they have mice with sens adjustment. OT, but came to mind though
                Sorry, I completely forgot to mention. This is an offline tweak only - It will not work in online play.
                [Edit] It now will with the changes I've added to the original post.

Originally posted by xbdonx View Post
                Im not entirely sure what I just read?

Are you physically talking about making custom sensativity to particular guns?
                I should have been clearer. The tweak changes the mouse sensitivity based on which weapon you select.

Comment

I was quite interested in your thread when I saw it. I was just lamenting to myself the inability to make sensitivity adjustments real time. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

It does work online, I just tested it. I don't think .ini tweaking is considered improper, especially when you're merely binding console commands to certain keys.

Set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSensitivity 40.0

is a command that any person playing the game can type at any time to change senstivity. In fact some mice allow sensitivity adjustments via external programs at the click of a button. This tweak in no way "assists" any one with aiming, it merely adjusts mouse sensitivity, whithin game allowable levels real time.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                    It does work online, I just tested it. I don't think .ini tweaking is considered improper, especially when you're merely binding console commands to certain keys.
                    Really? Which version are you using? I'm on the latest patch, and the bind will only select the weapon in online play rather than perform the full piped command?

Comment

I have patch 1.1, and I was wrong. Doesn't seem to work.

I'm curious, what is this for:
                      Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False

It's only in one bind by default. What's it do?

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                        I have patch 1.1, and I was wrong. Doesn't seem to work.

I'm curious, what is this for:
                        Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False

It's only in one bind by default. What's it do?
                        See my original post buddy - I found a fix for online play
                        And to be honest, I'm not quite sure what the whole Control=False thing is all about. Maybe its for having different actions set to a key depending on whether ctrl or shift is held down? It was in all my binds by default

Comment

Yep, got it working now. Thanks. I've bound mine like this:

Bindings=(Name="J",Command="setsensitivity 20.0")
                          Bindings=(Name="K",Command="setsensitivity 40.0")
                          Bindings=(Name="nine",Command="GBA_SwitchWeapon9 | setsensitivity 20.0")
                          Bindings=(Name="zero",Command="GBA_SwitchWeapon10 | setsensitivity 40.0")

I don't use low sensitivity much, I prefer up close combat or use rocket lock on at distance. But sometimes I feel the urge to use shock at a distance. So I've set mine to J and K. I've also put in redundancy. When I switch directly to sniper it'll automatically adjust my sensitivity. I've bound my side button on my mouse to the key "zero" so if I have to make an emergency AVRIL pull it automatically adjusts back to normal.

Again, thanks!

Comment

It's not over tweaking, I don't see why someone should not be allowed to do this, if they play better fine.

If someone really cares about being good in this game they will find every tweak available to make them better.

Comment

Originally posted by btcomm View Post
                              It's not over tweaking, I don't see why someone should not be allowed to do this, if they play better fine.

If someone really cares about being good in this game they will find every tweak available to make them better.
                              Ok whatever, maybe you are right.

Comment

Working...
                              X