Questions from modders to PS3 folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larry L View Post
    How could the sound not work when the sound clearly works on the levels that Epic ported themselves? Unless I'm mis-understanding what you are talking about. Which is entirely plausible.
    It is apparently due to Sony's inane insistence on forcing everyone to use their own inferior, proprietary formats for everything (ATRAC3 in this case). Presumably there are onerous license restrictions preventing tools for transcoding being made available to the public. A good reason to not buy a PS3 (or any of the current consoles come to think of it).

Comment

About the mentioned custom weapon mods not working. Does this mean NO weapon mods at all for PS3? This would lead me to believe all mods even remotely like that won't work either. Like new vehicles, and even character models. Any of these would have to work on all the supplied maps in the game right? Does this mean all those mods are now OUT?
      Well, would you want to release a custom weapon without custom sounds? We sure don't.

A game type or mutator with 0 custom sound, and 0 models? Ok, well that probably knocks ChaosUT right out of the picture. Since (even before) the 1st UT our mod has rotated custom weapons in all maps with our new weapons. Now it would seem this cannot be done. And you certainly can't have the cute little Proxy Mines without custom sounds, can you?

So there is some kind of model support for a so called Total Conversion, but have you ever played a TC that did not have custom sounds?

We are still willing to listen and chat (assuming threads stay open), but so far it would seem that the hype is not living up to the facts.

Comment

Well what is the percantage (your estimate) of mods using custom sounds? There has to be alot of sounds right in the Unreal Editor that get used right? I would assume there are even sounds in there (the editor) that aren't even used in the UT3 game itself right? Or do you guys typically use all custom sounds in your mods? I have never had any eperience with making levels ro any kind of mods, so that is why I'm asking this stuff. From what Mark Rein said in that thread that (for some reason I can;t fathom) got locked, earlier today. It seemed like there were quite a few types of mods that would work perfectly. It sounded like he said models would work, and it sounded like any kind of maps would work, even new game modes. But the moderator here closed that thread pre-maturely so clarifying questions couldn't be asked.

Comment

Not being able to use custom sounds is utter garbage. Sony is proving to be just as bad as microsoft, despite their "open network." Nice of them to screw Epic over like that with all the promotion they're giving ps3. I've submitted this news to various news sites; hopefully they'll run with the story until Sony has to acquiesce.

Comment

I am comfortable with using up to 15GIG's for my UT3 on PS3.

Use it up. Thanks to all the modders.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmatia View Post
              Not being able to use custom sounds is utter garbage. Sony is proving to be just as bad as microsoft, despite their "open network." Nice of them to screw Epic over like that with all the promotion they're giving ps3. I've submitted this news to various news sites; hopefully they'll run with the story until Sony has to acquiesce.
              How could this be such a travesty when in that earlier thread, "custom content not supported", Mark Rein said himself the he, and Epic, don't think this is much of a problem. If it's as limiting as you are making it out to be, why would Epic not consider it a big issue. There has to be some type of easy work around if they don't consider it a big problem. He said Epic can't put a Atrac converter in the Unreal Editor tools. Are there no downloadable converters on the internet for (probably) free download. It seems like there are converters for everything nowadays. Mabey that's why they don't consider it a big problem?

Comment

Well what is the percantage (your estimate) of mods using custom sounds?...
                Most of the mods I made for UT2 used custom sounds, textures and meshes. Only the very smallest were script-only. I can't really estimate a percentage of mods in total, but the best mods all have lots of custom content of all types.

Comment

How could this be such a travesty when in that earlier thread, "custom content not supported", Mark Rein said himself the he, and Epic, don't think this is much of a problem. If it's as limiting as you are making it out to be, why would Epic not consider it a big issue. There has to be some type of easy work around if they don't consider it a big problem. He said Epic can't put a Atrac converter in the Unreal Editor tools. Are there no downloadable converters on the internet for (probably) free download. It seems like there are converters for everything nowadays. Mabey that's why they don't consider it a big problem?
                  Hopefully, but I don't think so. Sure, ps3 will be able to get new maps, gametypes, mutators... stuff that makes Unreal Tournament 3 amazing.

But what if I want a full total conversion? Something completely unrelated to UT3? Then we're screwed, and by something so simple as a sound converter.

Comment

We have some of the same questions you do.

And I wish to explain a bit. If I sound negative... it's only out of frustration, or maybe confusion. We are wanting this to succeed, and we want to be a part of it. If it came out otherwise, I apologize. My goal here is not to insult anyone.

But I have never considered a custom anything to be of quality if it simply reused sounds that were already in the game. I would not want to see our mod do that. Maybe if you were just tweaking an already existing item, but not if you add something new. In my opinion, that is weak, and not worthy.

And the part about mutators and game types being only script. Well, what about a mutator like ours that includes a grappling hook and an anti-gravity belt as two of it's main items? It would seem we cannot do that.

Making Chaos as a Total Conversion removes much of it's appeal. The reason having it in a mutator form is so appealing, is because you can then play it on almost any map anywhere. Stock maps and custom maps. Forcing to be a TC means that you could only play it on maps that were made specifically for it. Perhaps that is technically possible, but the appeal is not as great, and the work load is much greater. And it would still be without any custom sounds. (and probably more cumbersome to use as well)

I will say this - we have ongoing discussions on our team about what we can do (that we are also interested in doing). We have not thrown in the towel just yet.

Comment

?

can some1 please link me to where they read all this?
                      ~EDIT~ nvm found it somewhere randomly

Comment

Well I hope the modders, as a group, can figure out some work arounds. But if not, it's really not a total loss. Supposedly there are no problems with maps. So that is a big plus right there. From what I gather most regular type mods will work. Specificallt the most requested mods: the 3rd person one should work. My personal most wanted mods tho, the 4 team team deathmatch will probably have problems unfortunatly, right? Cuz I doubt the yellow and green team colors on all current maps will work. Just from what is in the limitations. Hopefully tho, when someone tries cooking it for PS3, it works, cuz I really want to play that. What about the slaughter house and invasion type mods? What do you think the problems, if any will be with that?

Comment

1) for the average ps3 owner this memory shouldn't be a problem. i personaly have a 4gb msproduo and a 500gb hdd i use for music on my ps3/360 so the memory issue isnt a problem for me.

2)i usualy use my memory stick but thats just me

3)keeping up with mods is easy all you have to do is check up on them every 1-2 weeks or sooner if you see it is being updated quickly. i useto mod Q3 so i know all about modding and what it takes to keep up.

4)Keybinds are fine for a mouse and keyboard but idk how you would do it with a controller i mean most of the buttons are already used in my controller configuration and people playing with controllers don't always like giving up there button layouts

5)i will start using a mouse and keyboard as soon as i get a good keyboard to use with my ps3

6)usually the mod will be in the server name and that will make it a lot easier to sort through all the servers once mod support comes up. and the rest of the complications have already been explained

7) it takes 3 pc users to screw in a light bulb one to do the initial installation a second to go back and redo everything the first guy screwed up and the third guy to completely scrap what the first two guys did and do it the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Flagg View Post
                            Well, would you want to release a custom weapon without custom sounds? We sure don't.
                            I'd rather get your custom weapon without custom sounds than not getting it at all.

I'd hope that, when you can cook the mods for the PS3, it mentions that the sounds aren't allowed/supported and allows your simply pick/choose which sounds you are able to use and then easily substitute, or whatever approach is easiest on the mod makers so that the PS3 community still gets the mods, even if they don't have to custom sounds.

I'm guessing the likelihood for the modders to have 2 code sets (one for PC w/custom sounds and one for PS3 w/out custom sounds) is not too likely.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Flagg View Post
                              -Many mods run into the hundreds of megs in size. Is this a problem for the average PS3 owner (who wishes to use custom content)? Just how big can they go?
                              any size under 1 or 2 gb is fine for most as we have to transfer it across using memory sticks.
                              -What is the most item used to store the files while transferring?
                              Memory sticks , usb drives ect.
                              -Mods tend to get updated a lot more often than the regular game, are you willing to keep up?
                              obviously we would be .. i'd prefer to have a mod that keeps getting updates rather than one that sees no updates at all.

-Some mods will add additional keybinds - how many is too many? Are all the controller buttons suited for repeated use during play?
                              im fairly sure that there are some buttons that are nearly never used such as L3 (jump) and R3 (best weapon) others such as left on the dpad (voice menu)

-Any clue on percentage of users who have and will use keyboard/mouse?
                              around 40% will have keyboard mouse i imagine. 60% will be a mixture of controller users.
                              -How does a console player find online games running a certain mod? How hard is it? How easy is it? What would make it easier?
                              as far as i know only way of finding servers is by Pure or non Pure .. pure means no mods , otherwise it just lists all custom servers (mods enabled) in the same category. only thing that would make it easier is players naming their server based on the mods

-Is it possible to beta test for a mod, in an online PS3 situation with other beta testers - and keep the session private and passworded and not release the material publicly? yes .. easily doable.

-How many PC users does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
                              none .. no lightbulb means less glare on the screen

Basically just looking for anything we might need to know while developing content. Where there other questions I should have asked?
                              not that i know of

Thanks!
                              http://chaotic.beyondunreal.com/
                              see my replys in red above hopefully more dev's will be interested in the ps3 i used to love the modding community in original ut back in its day :P

Comment

I play UT3 on the PS3 and would be happy to test the mods for you if you don't have a PS3 to test them with.

Comment

Working...
                                X