Questions from modders to PS3 folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions from modders to PS3 folks

-Many mods run into the hundreds of megs in size. Is this a problem for the average PS3 owner (who wishes to use custom content)? Just how big can they go?

-What is the most item used to store the files while transferring?

-Mods tend to get updated a lot more often than the regular game, are you willing to keep up?

-Some mods will add additional keybinds - how many is too many? Are all the controller buttons suited for repeated use during play?

-Any clue on percentage of users who have and will use keyboard/mouse?

-How does a console player find online games running a certain mod? How hard is it? How easy is it? What would make it easier?

-Is it possible to beta test for a mod, in an online PS3 situation with other beta testers - and keep the session private and passworded and not release the material publicly?

-How many PC users does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Basically just looking for anything we might need to know while developing content. Where there other questions I should have asked?

Thanks!
    http://chaotic.beyondunreal.com/

Originally posted by R.Flagg View Post
    -Many mods run into the hundreds of megs in size. Is this a problem for the average PS3 owner (who wishes to use custom content)? Just how big can they go?
    I think the key is if the mod is great and stable. If you build it, they will come.

I think USB thumb drives might be the most popular, although it's probably all over the place.

-Mods tend to get updated a lot more often than the regular game, are you willing to keep up?
    See the first answer.

-Some mods will add additional keybinds - how many is too many? Are all the controller buttons suited for repeated use during play?
    The key is to remember that controller players want to keep their thumbs on the two main analog sticks. If the new button mappings aren't for primary and constant use, then you can map it anywhere.

The Playstation Forums had a survey up showing 15% of players use the mouse/keyboard. I think that number is high.

-How does a console player find online games running a certain mod? How hard is it? How easy is it? What would make it easier?
    Currently, the only search option is to initially sort by, "Pure: NO" then filter through the descriptions/map names. It's pretty **** annoying.

-Is it possible to beta test for a mod, in an online PS3 situation with other beta testers - and keep the session private and passworded and not release the material publicly?
    Well, you'll have to provide the mod content to the gamers, so it's possible that it could be shared online by the beta tester from there. Other than that, if you host the server and password protect it you should be okay.

Once again, you'll have to send the mod files out publicly and find trustworthy players.

Two. One to screw it in and another to diagnose that they'll need to upgrade their lamp yet again for the bulb to actually work.

Comment

I use my PSP with a 4 GB mem stick, so size shouldn't be a problem. I'm also willilng to upgrade my PS3 HDD to whatever is necessary. Will have to eventually anyway at the rate i'm going.

Will check everyday if i have to

I bought a mouse and keyboard specifically for this game. As far as percentage, i'm not sure, but as long as there are mouse/kb able servers i think the number will rise.

As the other dude said, searching is kind of annoying rights now. You pretty much have to go by the server name to know what's running on it. You can only filter by game type at this point.

If you host the server and pw it, you should be fine. But i'm still wondering how mod distribution is going to work.

Basically just looking for anything we might need to know while developing content. Where there other questions I should have asked?

Thanks!
      Thanks for taking the time to find out what we want!!

Comment

Originally posted by Salesmunn View Post

Two. One to screw it in and another to diagnose that they'll need to upgrade their lamp yet again for the bulb to actually work.

Lol.... I know I will be keeping up with all the updates for mods. So it's not a problem for me

Comment

It may be sounds strange and idiotic but i really dont understand the talk of you guys, i think that i am a newbie and may be i get to know something from you guys.

Comment

Not for me and i doupt for many others i have a 1GB memory stick

id say usb memory stick

yes i like to keeps things fresh so updating things would be great for me

i dont know what a keybind is

id guess about 25%, but like i said its a guess

my internet and computer is dead so currently it doesnt bother me

i wouldnt know

Comment

Isn't a 40 Gigabyte the standard harddrive for PS3's ?
              Sony did have an initial set with 20 Gb and 60 Gb ... so unless you build something really huge I doubt it will be a problem.
              You're more likely to run into issues if/whenever the 360 starts to support mods as that only has a 6 Gb harddrive if at all.

That probably would make things difficult as not many will have usb-sticks or memorycards bigger than a gigabyte, although they're getting really cheap.

No. I tend to give mods just one chance especially the big ones as there's no way I'm going to download such things just to see a minor fix.

unlike a traditional keyboard the keys on a controller are actually meant to be used.
              However mods would have to make sure that they assign controller-keys instead of keyboard-keys. They are available so you should be able to see if it works.

No, but I certainly would not count on it as the servers can be set to stop keyboard/mouse-users from joining ...

I'm sure those options are the same for the pc ... consider everything you spread as published unless you can personally take destroy their copies.

Just one, but he'll need to get advice from others how to do it as it may not work every time. Then there's also the dozens that will suggest said user to either buy a standard bulb or use a different OS

Comment

Doubt that'd be a problem for most people. Don't know the limit.

Guessing USB stick of some nature, I use my multi-card reader thingy, and have a 1 GB CF card in it.

For the ones that I use the most, I have no problem doing that. Question to you, is how will we now something has been updated? email notification, or will we have to continually check from where we downloaded each mod/map?

Most buttons are fine for repeated use during play, assuming we don't have to hold them down, and can just hit them and keep playing. The talk button is originally tied to the right d-pad button, which you're supposed to hold down to talk with...that's a horrible choice. Most people map it to their L3 button which is much easier to hold down and play at the same time.

Guessing, as others have, not that many 25% or so. Not me.

Certainly possible to set up a password protected game, but you'd have to trust people to not release the material to others, not sure how that'd go.

Nice to see some PC people are starting to think about getting some content out to the PS3 players. Hope it does start happening next week. I think you'll find many PS3 players willing to help out if need be.

Comment

there are a few buttons that could be bound to a new action or command because the current bind is redundant or not used, such as voice chat (in my case.) for a sniper mod, a crouch command is necessary and would definitely have a place to reside on the sixaxis controller. currently, the PS3 has autocrouch (your player ducks down automatically when you approach a low crawl space.) but that is no good when i am on a ledge with my OMA sniper rifle.

Comment

Size is not a problem since most people have a SD card or usb drive of 2gb or more...

Comment

I have a 16GB USB stick and my PS3 has a 250GB HDD so size is not a problem.

I normally use the USB and/or a memory stick to move data between the PC, PSP and PS3.

I will be using keyboard and mouse when this is released in the UK.

As for keeping up with new versions, I have been playing since UT99 and have many mods for UT2004. As long as news of updates are published on well known sites that many Unreal fans visit (like here or Beyond Unreal), people will take the time to get the latest version.

Comment

Well i have a USB thumb drive for anything small, i suppose i could use my PSP/friends iPod to install anything larger. The ability to burn content onto a disc would be nice, or a spot in the community menu where you can browse the most popular maps/mods/muts.

Absolutely, it may be because i've played Unreal for a while, but i have no problem with it.

Again, i've been playing UT for a bit and i'm sure there are others like me who couldn't buy/upgrade a new pc so they went the route of ps3 since it has mouse-keyboard/mod support. So I, personally won't have a problem with this.

No, idea but there are a healthy number of people playing with both controllers and m/kb. I suspect mods may fare better with m/kb.

They should definitely release an update that enhances the browser functionality and filters.

There shouldn't be any problem with this, maybe adding the ability not to advertise so you can join by ip would help.

None their case mods are covered in LEDS and Neons.

Thanks!
                        You should ask what mods we would like to see on the PS3. Like ChaosUT () and AirBuccaneers (doubtful) and Deathball (unknown).

w00t!

-KT

PSN: KingTalo

Comment

1. I have a 2gb transflash card. should be plenty but will eventually upgrade it.

2. I use a multi card reader

3. I don't have a problem keeping up with one if it's good. I guess mutators can be downloaded from the server but maps can't so you may want to incluse a news address in the mod description field. Also needs to be better voice chat so users can actually spread the word.
                          Maybe a mod that takes away push to talk in favor of voice activation

4. Thumb pads have buttons, refered to as L3 and R3, use those for binds requireing quick reaction, because your thumbs are already there for movement and aim. R1 is typically fire and L1 is typically secondary. others are well suited for anything else. of course this model is assuming your making a shooter.

5. no idea about kb mouse users. I use a game pad. I never lock out KB users when I run a server.

6. only way to tell is in the server description.

7. dont see why not. release a beta file with a contact address for bugg reporting in the map description. mark it as a beta.

8. Whats a light bulb?

Comment

I have a 2gb usb drive and it was only 20 bucks. I plan to fill my entire 60gb hard drive only with UT3 mods.

-What is the most item used to store the files while transferring?see above

-Mods tend to get updated a lot more often than the regular game, are you willing to keep up? I am willing to DL all day long!

-Some mods will add additional keybinds - how many is too many? Are all the controller buttons suited for repeated use during play? I don't care about this, I just want new maps.

not me.
                            -How does a console player find online games running a certain mod? How hard is it? How easy is it? What would make it easier? I play instant action only

-Is it possible to beta test for a mod, in an online PS3 situation with other beta testers - and keep the session private and passworded and not release the material publicly? don't know

-How many PC users does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 0, they are all too broke from upgrading to afford a lightbulb.

Thanks!
                            Thanks for the attention. Remember your audience is quite a bit bigger on the PS3 as it sold considerably more than the PC version. I think you'll find us less finicky than PC gamers. I will be grateful to get anything. I can't wait for these mods!!

Comment

I use my PSP memory card. It's only a 512 Mb right now, which should be big enough for most mods, if I have to go buy a 1 or 2 Gb then I will. UT3 mods are pretty important to me. An I don't think the most used medium matters since they can all hold files. As long as the PS3 can read it (which it can read most things) then it will work.

I personally will. It's easy enough. Just delete the old one from the My Content screen and install the new version. I will come here and give you feedback.

There are a few buttons that never get used, like up on the d-pad and X. But the great thing about the PS3 version is that you can actually use both a controller and KB at the same time. So if you bind something to a KB key like say...[P] PS3 users could always have a KB next to them and hit [P] when the need to.

I use a controller and will always do so probably, but like I said above, I have a KB right next to me if I NEED to use it.

There are a list of servers for each match type. It has info columns from left to right. First wheter it's a ranked server and whether KB/M is able to be used, then the host's name and a comment from him, then the map, then current players/maxplayers, then finally ping. I don't know why people are complaining about it. It's the normal console server set-up.

Well, yea you can beta test the same way people do it here. The mod releases it, the users download it and try it, then we come back here and give you feedback. But really, anyone who comes here potentially could download the mod, so you can't really keep it totally private. But people can't download the maps right from the server anyway. You can make password protected online games though. You can even play privately with friends only in an offline game.

When it comes to skin models, we have no idea how they are gonna work yet, but I'm hoping the same as on PC. Same with gametypes and totally new games. We havn't got to try them yet so we have no idea how or even if they are gonna work. But I'm sure Epic has at least tried some out. I would like to ask one of them if a mod like slaughter house will work? Or even the 4 team TDM mod? Would anyone from Epic care to answer this?

Thanks!
                              Hope I could help you a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X