Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AGEIA Extreme Physics mod pack?

http://www.ageia.com/physx/ut3.html

For anyone who actually has a physics card and has this going, please let us know how it affects gameplay. I always wished that games would have full destructible environments...but amybe for a game like ut, by the end of the match, the whole map would be debris...

The video on their site looks cool. If anybody has tried it, let us know...

unfortunetly, you cant destroy EVERYTHING; only specific walls and floors.
    you can still try it out even if you dont have a physx card, just drop your resolution a bit because it WILL lag without it.

Comment

lol ofcourse not FULLY destructible...
      i was just wondering if anybody had tried it out with a phys card and high end pc and how that is...

Comment

I want to try it, but that file is HULKING. I've got 5 minutes remaining on the download, and that's long for my connection speed.

Comment

Ive tried it and it drops your fps alot all the way down to single digits which is bad and I do have a high end pc just look at the specs below

Comment

Originally posted by Im a Chef View Post
            Ive tried it and it drops your fps alot all the way down to single digits which is bad and I do have a high end pc just look at the specs below
            i whent to 7 fps and it booted me out of the game lol

Comment

tornado map put me at 10-15fps after destroying 90% of the glass (if not all)
              physx cards arent needed, never have been. many games have had wonderful physics without it.

simply put:
              you can design a product for anything and eventually something will find a use for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BreakfastHole View Post
                i whent to 7 fps and it booted me out of the game lol
                My point exactly if you don't have the AGEIA card expect that to happen or just enjoy a very choppy game.

Comment

I got a PhysX-card just more than a year ago, caused of CellFactor: Combat Training, so I also got that PhysX-modpack for UT3 finally

Yep, even the HD-video of their presentation at the Games Convention in Leipzig/Germany last autumn showed that their computer, which recorded it, had to struggle with the tornado-one ;D I had almost to laugh about that fact, thinking that the PhysX-card would be mostly useless, even to UT3

But I got taught otherwise... With my computer (An AMD dual-core 4800+ x2, 2 GB of DDR 400 RAM and my 7900GTX 512MB) it runs even on max. settings at 1024x768 very well, it's mostly no drop in framerate... Or just that few I can't recognize it. Well, the only thing is, that at the first loadup of each of those levels it took my machine about 2 minutes to load them, I don't know why that happens anyways, but next time when they got loaded, they were almost as fast as a Warfare-map or bigger DM-map (about 10-15 seconds), and since then it loaded always that fast.

The gameplay within those maps is really nice. Altough I didn't try more than a 5on5 (including myself), it runs very smooth.

In that lighthouse-map its at first very irritating, when you captured the enemy's flag and the bots are just breaking trough some random wall or ceilling to catch up. Even you know which ones of the walls/ceillings/floors are breakable (you can see that walls being a little bit more strange than other ones, and in the modpack-ReadMe is a small description about that), its the fast gameplay of UT3 that makes it more interesting, cause you can't look at the walls all the time to head out if its breakable or not, so you will get surprised sometimes :P
                  In normal CTF you would possibly know which paths your enemy can take to get inside your flagroom and where they will try to escape with it, cause there aren't that much choices.
                  But thats completely different within that map... You won't know where they come from and where they will go, cause while breaking the walls and ceillings/floors, there open up many new paths to chose from - Even most of the powerup-areas are only reachable through that way. The gravity-wave-cannon (Even it's got a simple modified Shock Rifle skin) is really funny to play with... Cause everything within range (including the bricks, dust, eg.) will be sucked up and throwen in the direction of the target causing plenty of damage on them :>

The Tornado-map is also really awesome, cause the tornado really affects the gameplay, forcing the teams to avoid its devasting range. You will be killed within seconds when you try to get to close... But for more advanced players its probably the fastest way to the homebase, trying to fly around with it to the other side of the map, escaping the tornado at the right time. Even it collects everything thats moveable within the map which includes containers, wall-pieces, roofs and even weaponfire like the rockets and it all will be throwen randomly around the map, causing eternal damage to everyone that gets hit by something like that. The bigger pieces also block the path when you've bad luck, but there also can be opened up new ones.
                  The most fascinating part in things technology is probably the metal-bending you can watch when the tornado tries to pull off the rooftops... Thats really weird when you look at it for the first time
                  I played around with the tornado and the rocketlauncher, if you can time it right the rockets will be flying in a spiral around the tornado, so you can hit another player just around the corner :>

Even it pulls the hell out of my computer, its nearly overheating ;D its freaking awesome, begging me for some more of that kind :>

Comment

i installed it but, i don't see where to play it???? i don't see any new maps or anything :S help plz

Comment

At low res i can get 15 fps on my Niv 7800GT these maps look good but the more you destroy the bigger the lag.Shame that at the moment you cant open them in the Editor.That tornado without the tornado would make a fantastic CTF map.Will have to wait till the ageria tools come out.

Comment

Lool omg Medu Salem ! That sounds friggin awesome !!! Every game would be completely different even with the same map since it gets broken up a different way. Lol I love the rockets and tornado bit !! OMG that sounds fun !!

Comment

okay........

Comment

I'm not impressed... I've seen nicer PhisX in the ol Red Faction game... At least you could see 'realistic' holes in walls and stuff, instead of shooting a wall and seeing square plates bounce of :s , and defenetly not worth a 100 dollar hardware card !! *imo*

Comment

at this point i dont think the phys card is worth it since ageia only has few maps the support destructible env. i also heard ageia slashed the prices on the phys card in hopes ut3 players will buy...but i would rather wait until there are more maps...

Comment

Working...
                              X