• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Tweaks vista

Performance Tweaks vista
    get 100 to 200 + points in 3dmark06 and get better performance in UT3

i whent from 11984 to 12087 in 3dmark06 using this info

********all info in this post came from searching the net, and i take no credit for this info********

1.Streamline Aero or turn it off completely. Aero is a ram hog and some of the extra bells and whistles (windows sliding in/out, animations, transparencies, etc) are nice but they slow you and your system down. You can do 1 of 2 things to alleviate this:

a. Streamline Aero: Click on ‘My Computer’ then ‘System Properties’ then on ‘Advanced System Settings’ (and then ‘Continue’ if prompted by User Account Control). Under ‘Performance’ click the ‘Settings’ button and uncheck the following items if you want and then click Ok:

- Animated windows when minimizing and maximizing
    - Enable transparent glass (fyi…disabling this frees up a good chunk of GPU resource)
    - Fade or slide menus into view
    - Fade or slide ToolTips into view
    - Fade out menu items after clicking
    - Show shadows under menus
    - Slide open combo boxes
    - Slide taskbar buttons

….or for a quick but less intrusive change for performance: Right click on your desktop, select ‘Personalize’, go to ‘Color and Appearance’ and uncheck ‘Enable Transparency’.

b. Turn Off Aero: Navigate to ‘Color and Appearance’ as noted above, then click on ‘Open classic appearance properties…..’and select ‘Vista Basic’ to disable Aero completely. This gained me 30-35 megs of ram back and probably gained me about 100 points.

c. Close all gadgets on your Sidebar and then close the Sidebar itself. This seems to have gained me about 50 points.

d. Go into your Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and end any Sidebar processes still running if they show up. Additionally, there are other processes and services you can disable, just list your processes by CPU and/or Memory Usage and then end the most resource intense process as long as they are not system processes (you’ll need to research this on your own as your configuration will vary). You can also disable some ‘Services’ as well but these will probably have the least gain and you will need to research further as well. I typically turn off the top 3 resource hogs and my anti-virus software as I have a secure router backing me up.

2.Disable DEP / NoExecute Protection to fix Random Windows Explorer crashes

Due to the way Windows Vista’s boot editor has been created, it is now harder to disable DEP / No Execute Protection. However, after some amount of research, it would seem that some of the random Windows Explorer crashes that users are experiencing is caused by this technology. You will need to disable it and reboot, which should cure some of the crashes:

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on “Command Prompt”, and click “Run as administrator”.
    If asked for permission to run Windows Command Processor, click on Allow.
    At the command prompt, type in “bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff” (without the quotes).
    You should receive a message saying “Operation Completed Successfully”.
    Restart the computer, DEP / No Execute should now be disabled.

3.To stop Windows Vista from flooding your network with traffic:

Press WinKey+R.
    Type “services.msc” (without the quotes)
    If asked for permission to open “Microsoft Management Console”, click Allow.
    Double click on each one of the following services and change its startup type to “Disabled”.

Base Filtering Engine
    IKE and AuthIP Keying Modules
    IP Helper Service
    IPSec
    Windows Firewall
    Close the Services window and restart Windows.

4. Turn off Windows Search Indexing
    Windows Vista search indexing is constantly reviewing files on your system to make their contents available for quick searching. This is handy, but can severely impact system performance.

To disable constant indexing:

Click Start then Computer
    Right Click the C: Drive
    On General Tab, Uncheck Index this drive for faster searching
    On the subsequent dialog box, Select Include subfolders and files

5. Turn off Remote Differential Compression
    Remote Differential Compression measures the changes in files over a network to transfer them with minimal bandwidth rather than transferring an entire file that has previously been moved. By constantly checking for file changes, this service can hinder system performance.

To disable this service:

Open Control Panel
    Switch to Classic View
    Select Program Features
    Choose Turn Windows features on and off
    Scroll down and uncheck Remote Differential Compression

6. Turn off Automatic Disk Defragmentation
    Windows Vista and its always-on defragment feature isn’t really that necessary and can cause system slow down. Just remember to run a defrag manually every week or so.

To disable this:

Right Click the C: Drive
    Click on Properties
    Select the Tools Tab
    Click on Defragment Now
    Uncheck Run on a schedule

7. Add a 2GB or higher USB Flash drive to take advantage of Windows Ready Boost (Additional Memory Cache)
    Ready Boost is Microsoft’s name for using a USB thumb/flash drive to provide some quick access memory the operating system can use as extra RAM. The Ready Boost system can significantly improve system performance.

To set this up:

Insert a USB Flash Drive
    Right Click the USB Drive in My Computer
    Select the Ready Boost Tab
    Choose Use this device
    Select as much space as you can free up for RAM usage vs. Storage

8. Turn off Windows Hibernation
    Windows hibernation background services can use a large amount of system resources. If you don’t use the Hibernate feature on a regular basis you may want to disable it to give Vista a performance boost.

To disable Hibernation:

Select the Control Panel then Power Options
    Click Change Plan Settings
    Click on Change Advanced Power Settings
    Expand the Sleep selection
    Expand the Hibernate After selection
    Crank the selector down to zero
    Click Apply

9. Disable excess Windows Services that Auto-Launch at Startup
    Just like Windows XP, Vista ships with all kinds of services enabled that load at startup and may never be used by most users.

To see what loads at startup and disable the ones you likely won’t be needing (they can always be started manually later):

Click Start then Control Panel
    Select Administrative Tools
    Choose System Configuration
    Click the Services Tab
    You can safely deselect:
    Offline Files (unless you’re using Offline File Sync)
    Tablet PC Input Service (unless you have a tablet PC)
    Terminal Services
    Windows Search (If you have already disabled indexing)
    Fax (unless you’re using a fax modem)

10. Disable Excess Windows Features
    Windows ships with other features that are listed separately in the Vista operating system from the startup services.

You can view and disable these features by:

Clicking Start then Control Panel
    Select Program Features
    On the left panel, select Turn Windows Features on or off
    You can safely deselect:
    Indexing Service
    Remote Differential Compression
    Tablet PC Optional Components
    Windows DFS Replication Service
    Windows Fax & Scan (unless you use a modem for faxing)
    Windows Meeting Space (unless you use the Live Meeting Service)

Very useful. Bookmarking for when I get Vista in 2 years =P

Comment

wow, i gotta say that i knew about 95% of that. im proud of myself T_T*
      i learned alot from this pdf:
      http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

Comment

Originally posted by MTL View Post
        wow, i gotta say that i knew about 95% of that. im proud of myself T_T*
        i learned alot from this pdf:
        http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
        thanks for posting, ill take a look at it

Comment

Thanks for the thought, but most of that information won't improve performance, and in some cases will make performance worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoë(Co30) View Post
            Thanks for the thought, but most of that information won't improve performance, and in some cases will make performance worse.
            it improved performance for me in more then 1 game

Comment

It is proven that readyboost on a modern computer actually makes it slower. Had they released such feature during the intial days of XP it would have been effective, but as it stands any computer these days running even moderately good DDR ram of more than 1 gig is going to suffer from using ready boost as it is only as fast as USB ... which has to go through countless circuits just to reach said CPU and then move back again ... I would suggest anyone thinking of using this hoping for a gain, rething and not do it. When done in actual tests on countless windows vista computers, gains were in the range of -11% to 2-3% ... worth the money ... NO. Hope that helps.

http://4sysops.com/archives/vista-re...e-performance/
              just one of MANY MANY countless articles stating said topic.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdfireTrilogy View Post
                It is proven that readyboost on a modern computer actually makes it slower. Had they released such feature during the intial days of XP it would have been effective, but as it stands any computer these days running even moderately good DDR ram of more than 1 gig is going to suffer from using ready boost as it is only as fast as USB ... which has to go through countless circuits just to reach said CPU and then move back again ... I would suggest anyone thinking of using this hoping for a gain, rething and not do it. When done in actual tests on countless windows vista computers, gains were in the range of -11% to 2-3% ... worth the money ... NO. Hope that helps.

http://4sysops.com/archives/vista-re...e-performance/
                just one of MANY MANY countless articles stating said topic.
                minus the readyboost you do gain Performance with the Tweaks

Comment

i did a test
                  3dmark06 with a 2gb sd card readyboost and on sd card
                  i got +187 points with readyboost

Comment

Who needs this?

Aero can be deaktivated while starting a game (compatibility options) The rest is pure bull**** and will give you NO PERFORMANCE increase. Dont turn off services. Vista will free up ressources when needed. You are only turning things off you are thinking <you dont need them. But then, if an application fails, then you are wondering about whats going on. Vista doesnt need tweaking. Nowhere. it optimizes itself like WindowsXP, and much better of course.

Readyboost should only be used if you have got a very fast usb-stick, wich will give you more than 20Mbytes, better 25> per second on 2Gigabyte machine. if not the performance gain will be very small or negative relaying on the performance on your system.

Comment

Performance Tweaks vista

Best one so far:

1) Format HD with Vista on it

2) Install WindowsXP Pro on it

Bang, you'll have a huge performance boost in games.

Comment

aero is suspended while gaming fyi, so you don't need to disable it or mess with it in any way. you won't see a perfomance increase by altering it.

Readyboost will only help those with lower ram (like 1gb or less).

Comment

Originally posted by Respen View Post
                          aero is suspended while gaming fyi, so you don't need to disable it or mess with it in any way. you won't see a perfomance increase by altering it.

Readyboost will only help those with lower ram (like 1gb or less).
                          Some games will run faster if Aeroe is deaktivated via compatibility options. Ut2004 is the best purpose to do this. The windows effects should be turned off at the same options, too.

Readyboost even helps on 2Gigabyte machines, if the USB-Stick is fast enough. On my systems, applications are starting faster if readyboost is enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Contra View Post
                            Performance Tweaks vista

Best one so far:

1) Format HD with Vista on it

2) Install WindowsXP Pro on it

Bang, you'll have a huge performance boost in games.
                            Disqualified yourself.

Tweaking Vista via installing WindowsXP is much more nonsense than turning off all services.

Comment

Yeah there's a law of diminishing returns with Readyboost, too. The more RAM you have, the less benefit it gives you. It's not a bad technology though, but a high-end machine won't really benefit much from it.

Comment

Working...
                              X