Arghhhh I hate how long it takes to load the game / editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Maybe I need to set "Take an eternity to load" to false in one of the ini's. Anyone know which one its in? :

EDIT: Defragged my drive (was all over the shop)... didn't change a thing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have a QX6700 (Extreme Quad Core), a 8800 GTS and 3GB of RAM, actually 4GB but have to have one disabled for the second due to some firmware imcompatibility issues. I'd say it takes about 10 seconds to load UT3... disabling all the screens at the start helps get in to it quicker, opening UT3 from with in Unreal Ed (IE doing a "play from here") is near instant loading, tho of course no bots or anything to test against.

So it's not too bad, I dunno what is causing your problem, if it's UT3 messing around with itself or not...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Really? Uhh... I've got a Q6600, an 8800GT and 4GB RAM. New computer, so it's got next to nothing on it, haven't downloaded anything. If UT3 is recompiling, how do I stop that? Because it's not just a first time thing. It's every time I open the editor. Same issue for a mate, who has even better specs than me (better quad core, 8800GTX, though only 2GB RAM). I'm on XP32bit as well, if that changes anything.

Any suggestions? The only programs I have running all the time in the background are MSN, an antivirus and often Firefox... If it changes anything, the "My Documents" folder is on my server across the network... though that wouldn't explain why my mate also has this issue, as his is local.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Takes a grand total of 2 seconds for me.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I noticed that doing this speeds up things wonderfully:
    - adding some ram in your PC (2GB)
    - defragging your harddrive (and have a harddrive that does 7200 RPM - not a laptop 5400rpm...)
    - not adding new mutators/patches to UT3 (no recompile)
    - no downloads or other disk-accessing tools are up (torrents/emule/MS-indexingservices/copernic/MSN with sharing folders)

My system isn't top-notch but loading times are great here...
    My guess for your system: Be sure that UT3 isn't recompiling and defrag.

Leave a comment:

• Arghhhh I hate how long it takes to load the game / editor

Yeah, I know, I went through and read a thread about this a couple of days ago that I searched for, but seriously, it's so frustrating. First off, I'll point out that any of the work that I do with script or the editor is highly likely to crash it... constantly... as I'm always experimenting with things. In UT2K4, this wasn't an issue. Game would load, I'd do something that would crash it, I'd check logs, fix the problem, load again, crash, fix other issues I'd just introduced, etc. Same would go for the editor.

Working with Roboblitz was somewhat of a similar deal, though there were far less crashes. When things would crash, I'd be back in either the editor or the game almost immediately (you can seriously double click a map in Roboblitz and have it instantly load... on my old computer). For UT3, I went off and upgraded my computer so it's now a fairly decent machine, and not only does the editor crash more than the Roboblitz one... loading EVERYTHING takes AGES! What is the game possibly doing that now takes a minute or more to load on a new computer when a year old version of the engine would load almost instantly on a several year old computer?

On another note... why are they back to rendering the Hall of Mirrors in the void? It was so much better as in Roboblitz where you could jump into an additive map, add a block, add a skylight, add a playerstart and jump in, all things working. Now, doing the same thing in UT3 doesn't re-render anything so you just have the HOM effect everywhere.
Working...
X