Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few hardware questions (best DDR2 ram, socket am2 processor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few hardware questions (best DDR2 ram, socket am2 processor)

I'm probably going to be upgrading sometime soon, and just wanted to start getting some advice. I have a socket am2 motherboard, so I don't have access to the new phenom processors, nor am I really interested in quad-core. Which is the best processor I could get for my motherboard? Would it be the FX series? I'm Looking for a good cost/performance ratio (why I'm with AMD).

Also, when I eventually make the jump to Vista 64 (probably a long way from now) I plan to switch to 4 GB of RAM. I'm using 2 gigs of XMS DDR2 6400 Corsair RAM, but I'd have no problem switching to a whole new type of RAM when I switch over to 4 gigs, so I was wondering if there was vastly superior DDR2 RAM available that I would benefit from buying.

Thanks.

It's called core2duo

I couldn't resist, now on with the helpful people.

Comment

Originally posted by btcomm View Post
      It's called core2duo

I couldn't resist, now on with the helpful people.
      I expected at least one. =) Thank you for getting it out of the way.

Comment

Wow, a bump necessary already...

Comment

Looks like the fastest CPU is the 6400 + X2.

If someone else knows something else let him know.

Comment

Intel decrowned AMD on the performance chart and AMD are struggling hard to take it back but they have been pushed half way down a mountain and their efforts have only pushed them 5 foot back up...

Of course the Phenom 9900 would have been the best bet but as it's limited to a specfic socket then that's outta the question. The FX series has always been AMDs premuim desktop processors... so as far as cost goes... they tend to get quite expensive, they perform better but the performance vs. cost ratio may not be as good as normal 64 bit Athlons...

As for RAM, that comes down to your motherboard, whatever limitations your motherboard's memory controller has, is going to limit your RAM. If your motherboard is only capable of handling say 667MHz then 800MHz RAM is out of the question... so you'd have to look at your motherboard on that one.

Comment

the amd black edition 5000+ is a treat, wonderful cpu, and overclocked great too

Comment

You can push the X2 6000+ to 3.2Ghz =)

Comment

In all seriousness, I'd buy an Asus Striker Xtreme and a decent intel CPU with it (E6600 is nice because you can easily overclock it to 3.0 Ghz on stock cooling). It's just that much better.. As for ram, I always like Kingston and Corsair brands.

Comment

Working...
                  X