X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My system rox

I got a wompin 18 Fps the other day lol

So I was just wondering its time to buy a new video card me thinks
    but before I do so I figure I should through out a q? to some of you gammers.
    My system now is a
    AthlonXp 2500 at 2.2ghz
    2 Gig Ram
    Nvidia 7200 LE

I am thinking if I just uppen the video card I should be ok with FPS so
    The card I looked at was a 8800 GTx I think it was for 550 bucks
    Another card was the 8800 GT for like 200 bucks less.

DO I pay the extra 200 for an X in the name of the card or will the plain GT be fine enough?

Thanx for the input.

No you do not pay the extra 200. The performance difference is minimal, not to mention that your CPU may very well limit you. You're barely .2ghz above the minimun requirement. You should check to see if your mobo supports the AMD Athlon 64 X2 line of CPUs. You might be better off spending $125 on video and $125 on CPU.

Comment

8800gt is basically equal to 8800gtx. Its a newer card. In any case you'll need a new CPU/mainboard/ram(?) too, cause new card is no good if the CPU isnt fast enough to give it data to render. Which is sooo the case here.

Comment

Is that the old GTX, yeah the gt is close in performance and $200 cheaper. I got the 8800gt and am pleased. I think a new gts is coming, but I don’t keep up. I figured the gt would do.

Yeah a 8800gt would be a waist, let alone a gtx with that cpu. I had a AMD 4000 and upgraded to a Intel Duo 3.0ghz. I’m not going to say get an Intel over AMD, because that would just be personal preference and you would have to consider the $$$, but yeah definily save some cash for a cpu or I think your just wasting your money, unless you upgrade later to.

Comment

7200LE, isn't that a budget laptop card?

Comment

What they said, actually it seems the the GTX you were looking at is actually 300 bucks more very not worth it.

What I will say is you could try to just get the video card but I had a 939 socket board (not socket A like you) which is newer and for some reason my motherboard would not work with the 8800GT. It could be that it was just something stupid with my particular board but be aware the 8800GT may not work because your computer/motherboard are so old.

Also like others have said your other components are going to limit how well you can play the game with your new video card.

I would recommend a core2duo CPU and 2 gigs of ddr2 ram. I bought my ram for 55 bucks. It's very cheap.

Comment

Awsome thanks for the in put all
              I will be upgrading the hole computer very soon just wanted to get up and running good enough to be able to play for now.

My computer fund just went into filling my oil tank so Ill have to wait another month or so before I have the money for the rest of the parts.

For now though Ill pick up the GT Im sure it will at least get me up to a playable 30fps or so.

Comment

Did you say socket A?

Wouldn’t that be a AGP video slot? Not sure if 8800gt comes in AGP or if you would want to use that. Just make sure the stuff fits. What about the power supply. That’s got to fit the mobo as well, if you get that.

Comment

I checked it out and I have a socket 939 with the XP 3500 cpu which runs at 2.2ghz

I looked it up and the board is no good. Can't get much over a duel core 4000 for this board and the memory is only ddr so I will be swapping out the board so i can get some 1600 DDR2 and a nice 6500 Athlon.
                  Will get the GT card and a new power supply.
                  Priced it out which wasn't bad at $700 CAD

Hope fully then I will no longer just be a wondering baffoon in game. lol

Oh the baord I currently have has PCI-E so the card will work for temorary means.

Comment

I also vote fort the GT. Unless you are loaded then whatever.

Comment

These kind of posts are starting to annoy me go to a computer building forum or something or read one which has been previously created.

Comment

I don't much care that it annoy's you. But thanx for your usefully post.

Comment

Originally posted by Therealjoe View Post
                          These kind of posts are starting to annoy me go to a computer building forum or something or read one which has been previously created.
                          You must be a PS3 owner.

Comment

I really recommend the GT, it's an awesome card, especially considering the performance you get compared the GTX is minimal at best.

Also, like others have said, get a new cpu because you will be bottlenecked there. When I first got my GT card, i was still on an AMD 3200 64-bit processor, and I was getting like 30 fps on average. Then recently I just got a Core2Duo setup and I'm running around 90 fps on average and I never dip below like 60, even in warfare. It's amazing what a difference it made.

Comment

Working...
                            X