Best gfx card to upgrade to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Ok I've decided to opt for a slightly better graphics card than any of the ones i mentioned previously.

I am able to afford a 3870 (which i can get for around £25(50$) cheaper than a 8800gt) and also the 2900xt for around £10)20$ cheaper than the 3870 (but second hand).

I found some articles showing the 2900xt beating the 3870 in UT3, but in most other games it seems the 3870 is better/same.

So would i be correct in saying the 3870 would be my best buy?

edit: I've read that ATI cards like the 2600xt are often poor performers when AA is turned on. Is this true for the 3870?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kaluro View Post
    That's one of the many reviews out there.
    There are plenty of other reviews out there which state the 8800gt is the best.
    And the 3850 outperforming a 8800gtx? Don't make me laugh.

I could find some other benchmarks which will let the 3850 bite the dust in notime
    You seem to have misunderstood both my post and OP's question. If 10 apples cost 10 euro, and 5 apples cost 1 euro. Then yes in case 1 you get more apples, but each apple will cost you more, as if you had picked case 2. 3850 is the card where you spend the least $ for each performance %, according to reviews. Doesnt make it the fastest card in history.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    um yeah that rig is faster history2. cpu is faster, hd is faster, ram is same speed. sure i OCed mine, but that doesnt change anything. even if i was on a 5ghz quad core, thats just showing that they are bottlenecking 1 gfx card to improve the results of another.
    oh and i use diff drivers (169.13 instead of .12, but anyone can change drivers, these work best for me)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    look at the benchmark rigs to your rig thow.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well i'll tell you the benchmarks are awful, with 1 8800gtx at stock speeds 1920x1200 4xfsaa max settings i hit over 100fps average, that says 38... *shrug* take what you will

edit: with a lot of tweaking including the ut3 tweaker on max gfx, my own work, high quality on the profile.... the lowest i've EVER seen (in a dip) was about 30 on 1 8800gtx

Leave a comment:

• replied
    unfortunetly all benchmarks say the same as that ;p

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kjhkbnm View Post
    [H]-enthusiast compared UT3 Gameplay Performance and IQ with GeForce 8800 GT, GTX, GTS and Radeon 3850, 3870.
    Their conclusion
    That's one of the many reviews out there.
    There are plenty of other reviews out there which state the 8800gt is the best.
    And the 3850 outperforming a 8800gtx? Don't make me laugh.

I could find some other benchmarks which will let the 3850 bite the dust in notime

Leave a comment:

• replied
    For UT3 the 3850 is an excellent bang for the buck but the 8800GT can handle other games better, e.g. Crysis. If you're just planning on playing UT3 then the 3850 is fine but I'd go for the 8800GT if possible.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [H]-enthusiast compared UT3 Gameplay Performance and IQ with GeForce 8800 GT, GTX, GTS and Radeon 3850, 3870.
    Their conclusion

Overall, we think that the Radeon HD 3850 is the best value for playing Unreal Tournament III, other games notwithstanding. If you are a UT nut (and we know you're out there), you will simply not find a better bang for your buck than the ATI Radeon HD 3850.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, i got a ATI HD 3850 and I overclocked it so it's just below a stock 3870 and i play this game maxed out but resolution is only at 1024 by 768, it's still a brilliant and vibrant game. The card cost me $160 US, so I'm not sure how that converts to GBP, but that is the way to go if you're on a budget, i also will be building a PC and i'll probably just buy another 3850 or two more instead of the higher line 8800 series, you'd be surprised what this card can achieve. I have a Pentium dual core (2.8 ghz) 2 GB RAM, so my machine is pretty comparable to yours. But absolutely the way to go.

HD 38x0 ftw

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thanks for the replies

I was considering the 8800gt at one point but it still ends up being around double my budget - and I intend on playing the game around 1280x1024 without maxxed out settings - im playing on a 6800gs atm, surely it doesn't have to be a 8800gt to top that

I am however considering the 3850, but it only has 256mb unless I pay a load more which would basically mean I might as well by a 8800gt.

Would it be better to buy a x1950pro/x1900xt 512mb or spend a bit more on the 3850 256mb?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I dont think that in two years a twin 8800gtx will be junk. Hardware still needs software to calculate. And with a fresh UT3 engine, these are excellent until Epic doesnt come up with next-gen engine. Ut2k3-ut3 cycle was 4-5 years, so i would expect the above cards last just as long heh. This is even more true today with software being more complex, and considering all outdated consoles it needs to run on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well thats nice. learn something every day.
    i'd like to try a 3870 but i cant afford it after my twin 8800GTX
    oh well in 2 years these will be junk right?! then i can upgrade again and go "oooh" and "aahh!"

but yeah an ati 3850 is a good bang for the buck and its not too pricy. for your budget though, there isnt much

Leave a comment:

• replied
    all ATi 38x0 series.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thats news to me o.0 it lacks what? 10.1? i dont know of any cards with that yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X