Remove the invisible walls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
    Why do I still get stuck in the rocks in Torlan? That seems so easy to fix. At least now we have the hoverboard (jump, jump, Q works well) to help get out of sticky situations.
    LOL my first reaction would be to whip out the old hammer and jack myself out. (no puns pls )
    but yeah, I dont know why they still use the generic square volume to this day when there are other alternatives to enforce boundaries..

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
      Why do I still get stuck in the rocks in Torlan? That seems so easy to fix. At least now we have the hoverboard (jump, jump, Q works well) to help get out of sticky situations.
      It's easy to get stuck on rocks on A LOT of the maps. Usually things like that are dealt with in professional-level work.

Comment

Just wanted to mention one more: Don't jump behind the core on Sinkhole.....you can't get out.

Comment

getting out usually isn't the goal of anyone back there

Comment

This is dumb.
            There is 2 ways you can create invisible wall:
            1 - It will block players and vehicles and let bullets through
            2 - It will block everything
            For some strange reason they're using second one...

Comment

Some of the blocking volumes on things that look like they should be passable are annoying, but I'm petty sure Epic's mappers knew what they were doing when placing them. In nearly all cases the blocking volumes look like they're there either to prevent people getting stuck on bits of scenery or to prevent things like Darkwalkers from taking a stroll over the edge of the map. Probably most importantly, they're there to stop people exploiting the more complex bits of scenery and getting to places where they can't be reached by normal means, which is the sort of thing that can really break an online game.

Of course, they could just surround every map with tall cliffs and limit the level geometry to very basic, evenly spaced shapes instead, but that wouldn't look nearly as interesting.

Comment

Well, on suspense for example, they could make another dam on the other side. It's really annoying flying there on your raptor only to find your raptor "Fails"

Comment

Yeah, the blocking volumes make this game feel much more restricting than UT2004
                  Y2K also has blocking volumes on every map, but they are placed better, and maps are big enough to stay in bounds.

In shangrila I'm always hitting some invisible seiling when trying to boot-jump from shield tower to bio pickups (above half-opened door). That's really annoying.

Comment

First let me say there is a time to use them (blocking volumes) and a time not to. There is also a way to use them and not to use them. I am not talking about bad placement here but rather why we must have them.

In many cases the maps are now being made 90-100% out of static meshes. (Avalanche is 98% static meshes), Many of these meshes dont have a collision maped with them as it would be to costly performance wise and players would just complain how laggy a map is. So in many situations, its better to use blocking volumes to keep players from going right thru them and into the UT3Ed black void only to die a horrible death all the while staring into a never ending HOM.

Of course there are those times when a mapper will put up blocking volumes just to keep players in the designated play area. This however frausterating it may be, is ultimately up to the individual map maker and his/her reason for doing so. Not much can be done about this other then to make your own map the way you want it.

However i would say 9 out of 10 times these days, the map maker is placing blocking volumes to optimize the rendering of the map in a sense and keep players from falling into the black abyss.

Comment

I think this whole thing is another one that is to be blamed on map designers rather then Epic, but then these map designers all work for Epic so... but I am fairly sure it is possible for a map designer to make a script that would say "you are leaving the area" and then give a secondary message... then if the person goes too far out, just have killing volumes and/or blocking volumes.

I mean heck someone could record their voice and output the voice file when you get too far out I think... I dunno tho, haven't delved that deeply into Unreal Editor 3 yet.

Comment

Walls on map edges are fine, if they could improve the visible wall/invisible wall sync.

However, my problem lies with those cliffs in the center of corruption being impossible to climb because of the stupid inviswalls.

Comment

Spoiled Kiddies. A few Years Ago, the whole Skybox was only a flat Texture, never mind about wasting Polygons for Areas the Player should not enter. Levels have Walls on every Side, or at least a killyou-Volume. And there where no flying Vehicles, so you dont have to think about them.

Invisible Walls are necessary cause of the complex Map-architectures, they are used to avoid People Stuck into something. Getting stucked into decoration are a real Pain in the ***, especially if some Enemy stands in front of you and you cant move.

Comment

Originally posted by Scheibenwischer View Post
                            Invisible Walls are necessary cause of the complex Map-architectures, they are used to avoid People Stuck into something. Getting stucked into decoration are a real Pain in the ***, especially if some Enemy stands in front of you and you cant move.
                            too true. i once found myself stuck in a remote location on a 2k4 ons map that was city/desert themed.. I managed to bypass an invisible wall by simply walking around it
                            yeah, i was the useless campy, mountain-climber type

Comment

Working...
                            X