Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So a friend calls me up to play some UT2004....(UTIII related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So a friend calls me up to play some UT2004....(UTIII related)

Friend I work with calls me up to play some 2004 online (haven't played it in over a month). I didn't have any plans to play 2004 ever again but since he doesn't have UTIII yet I said what the hell I'll give him a few games. We meet up on a 1v1 server and I spend most of the time chasing him - all he wants to do is run, hide, and camp for those long distance hitscan shots. Wow... I didn't realize how awful the gameplay was in 2004 until I played a much better balanced game, UT III, and then jump back to the other game.

After a couple of real boring and frustrating matches of run forest, run... I jump out and let him play someone else (his skill level). His own words....

(click to expand)
    [shot]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x106/emig5m/Shot04763.png[/shot]

He "got tired of chasin" - how ironic. I really hope some more of the 2004 diehards give UT III a fair chance because I was also someone that didn't like it right away. I was a big fan of the double dodge jump and movement of 2004, but honestly, UT III's gameplay is much better once you get used to it and then right down to all the weapons being equally powerful and not lopsided to mainly hitscan only like in 2004.

And for those that think the movement isn't as advanced and is dumped down compared to 2004, well, once you start learning the techniques of the jump boots, you'll find the movement is just as dynamic as 2004, if not more! Plus you have another powerup to control! You can literally jump 50ft in the air and do a shock combo while your opponent says "wtf?!" That is not dumped down gameplay! hehe.

Another thing-fighting someone who single-dodges is much harder because they change direction quicker.

Comment

I have to agree. At first I didn't like the movement style. But after playing for a month or so I played 2k4 again. It felt like I was moving like a snail and having to dodge jump felt cumbersome and irritating.

Thank you UT3 for saving me from the hitscan paradise that was UT2004!

Comment

I partly agree. If you were skilled in moving around in 2k4, it plays exactly the same as UT3 movementwise. Weapon balance is a lot better in UT3 for sure. But it seems that in this case the guy you were playing against was a lot faster than you, so it became a game of hide & seek. I never had any problem catching anyone. In most maps when someone is trying to run away in 2k4, they were only easier to predict, which made them easier to hit and most likely caused them to die.

Comment

Well he isn't faster then me (about the same - I'm a tad faster), it's that he's learning where to run and when to change direction also using sounds (like dropping a weapon and picking it up) to fake me out and I haven't been playing it so I was a little rusty and wasn't about to chase and eat spam around corners the whole match - he's yet to even beat me one time and I want to keep it that way, lol.

But non-the-less, I'm also guilty of being a defensive runner in 2004 when I didn't even realize it until now. Sure, I'll try to regroup and get health in UTIII when I get damaged, but you're definitely not gonna play hit and run the whole time like in 2004.

Comment

PPl are starting to see the light
            I knew it was a great game from the start,you just have to look past the bugs.
            But yes ut3 imo is the best one out yet.

Comment

I still thought UT3 was superior, even when I was crashing 4/5 times. Just fix the bugs so the community can grow faster. I remember playing the UT2k4 demo and it was packed.

Comment

The gameplay in UT3 is unrivaled. It's the kinks that have to get worked out.

Comment

Working...
                X