UT3 on PS3 Voice Chat FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 on PS3 Voice Chat FAQ

There has been much back and forth regarding UT3 and the struggles with voice chat. I've been reading bits and pieces of it scattered throughout these forums but I think that it's time to put it out in one thread. This might be helpful to add as a sticky, but that's not my decision.
    Advice for using a mic on the PS3.

*First and foremost, for any online game on your PS3 to perform perfectly, you must be sure to setup your network to allow free access to and from your PS3.

You must either:
    A) Set your PS3's IP address as the DMZ (not recommended for novice users)
    B) Forward the necessary ports in your router as shown below. Please refer to your router's users manual for details on setting this up or post your questions here or in the Playstation Network community forums.
    I do not have Gamespy ports forwarded to my PS3 for UT3 and haven't had any trouble. I don't believe it to be necessary.

*Make sure you setup and test your headset in the PS3's Accessory Settings prior to entering UT3. These settings cannot be changed in-game.

Settings > Accessory Settings > Audio Device Settings

*When using a bluetooth headset, power on the headset before launching UT3 from the PS3's XMB. You will hear the headset link up around when the Unreal engine logo displays. If not, check to make sure the headset works with the PS3 via the Accessory settings in the PS3's XMB.

I have never been able to get a Bluetooth headset to work if it was not turned on prior to UT3 booting up.

*In your Settings menu within UT3, the "Mute Voice" option must be set to "OFF." This is the default.

*The default controller mapping to broadcast your voice or "Toggle Voice" is D-Pad Right. You must hold the "Toggle Voice" button down for the entire time you would like to speak. Be sure to begin to press it about a second before you speak and release it a second after your statement, otherwise your words will be cut off. Please note that there is no audible or visual notification that you are broadcasting audio, hopefully this will be in an upcoming patch.

*To gun and gab properly, some may recommend to change the "Toggle Voice" button mapping, this is done under Settings>Input>Press Triangle>Press Triangle (to customize). You can then map, "Toggle Voice" to L3 or any other popular setting. I personally have it set to L2, which is much easier to press in the heat of battle.

Problems I've encountered with the mic in UT3 on PS3

*While playing Campaign mode (possibly other modes), pressing the "Toggle Voice" button to speak can freeze the game for approximately 20 seconds. The music continues to play but the gameplay will freeze. Anyone connected to your game will still able to move normally but will never hear you speak. While your game is frozen, bots visible to other players will cease to run their path until your game begins to respond again.
    [FIX] Exit UT3 and reboot your PS3. This solved the problem. Hopefully this will be fixed in a patch.

*Voice Chat can sometimes become garbled during loading screens.

*Many players have complained about voice chat problems. I use an Explorer 330 without issue and the Warhawk Jabra headset has worked fine for me. I recommend taking a look at all the settings above and posting questions here or here for help. Many of the problems with voice chat are likely similar to all the other voice chat issues. Port forwarding for PSN or XMB settings.

~James from Aeropause.com

Jabra only works sometimes for me, USb seems to work 99.9% of the time. The voice
    chat is a broken function. They are aware of it and are working to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by pauls2ndblessing View Post
      Jabra only works sometimes for me, USb seems to work 99.9% of the time. The voice
      chat is a broken function. They are aware of it and are working to fix it.
      Working sometimes could be a network connectivity error. If some people can hear each other but not others, you might have a scenario where some people have the proper ports forwarded but others do not.

Comment

I think everyone can appreciate you putting all this info together. I still don't think it's about ports though. I have my PS3 set as DMZ host, I turn my mic on before loading the game, and I have inconsistant results. My brother and I both have this game now, and the the last couple of days we've played together there are some times when the mics work, and some times when they don't. We only play online MP games, no campaign.

In one of the mic threads, even Mark Rein posted that they are aware that there is an issue and they are working on it. I think it's just busted.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinchy View Post
          I think everyone can appreciate you putting all this info together. I still don't think it's about ports though. I have my PS3 set as DMZ host, I turn my mic on before loading the game, and I have inconsistant results. My brother and I both have this game now, and the the last couple of days we've played together there are some times when the mics work, and some times when they don't. We only play online MP games, no campaign.

In one of the mic threads, even Mark Rein posted that they are aware that there is an issue and they are working on it. I think it's just busted.
          I agree with you. I mention in the post that I've had scattered trouble here and there even with perfect network settings. I just hope this filters out the basic issues; answers the questions for the novice console gamers who aren't used to some of the struggles of PC gaming.

Comment

i tried this many times and see the settings and i can hear sometimes but my buddies cant hear then sometimes is working fine i think their is a problem

Comment

Working...
            X