Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia 169.28 beta drivers are THE fix for 8800GT GPU owners running Vista 32bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Syl View Post
    I get some BSoD with these drivers and I don't know why
    BSoD happens when I exit UT3 or sometimes when I try to shutdown/reboot my rig.
    I didn't have BSoD with the latest WHQL.
    I have a 8800GTX with Vista 64.

edit I'll try the clean install Harmatia mentioned...
    I hope you realize that this thread didn't guarantee anything having to do with Vista64 and the GTX card. I can only speak to what I know has worked for me and others with the config in the thread title. I hope there is a solution for your problem though.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmatia View Post
      Just because I saw a lot of confrontation about this, I figured I'd post my method (commonly considered the best method) of doing driver installations.

1. Uninstall old drivers
      2. Boot into Safe Mode
      3. Run driver cleaner (downloadable from guru3d... removes all references to old drivers. If not in safe mode windows will use some of them, and thus they can't be erased).
      4. (possible another reboot into normal mode, I don't bother) Install new drivers.
      5. You're all done. I didn't do it for a long time without any issue, but once I started experiencing problems I tried it out and it often solves everything. Now, with the frequent release of buggy beta drivers, I always follows these steps so that I'm sure my installation isn't the problem.
      A couple of things.You can use either Drive Cleaner or Drive Sweeper programs both at Guru's website.
      Safe Mode is entered by pressing F8 while booting.

It is strongly sugested that you go through the procedure on every ugrade. This way you avoid leaving any remant files behind that may cause problems. You will then avoid blaming the new drivers which in most cases
      is not the problem, its just the procedure you used for upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
        I hope you realize that this thread didn't guarantee anything having to do with Vista64 and the GTX card. I can only speak to what I know has worked for me and others with the config in the thread title. I hope there is a solution for your problem though.
        no problem, I won't blame you if it doesn't work (and it doesn't work ^^; )
        I already posted a bug report here for a previous drivers.
        Sadly this new drivers with a clean install didn't fix my problem, still have BSoD on exit.

I play another highly bugged game (Hellgate:London) so it's really a breeze to play UT3 IMO

I hope the dev will fix this problem soon with the help of NVidia.
        Here is my lastest minidump crash with a dxdiag : http://syl.ph.free.fr/hgl/Minidump.zip

Comment

Originally posted by msny View Post
          A couple of things.You can use either Drive Cleaner or Drive Sweeper programs both at Guru's website.
          Safe Mode is entered by pressing F8 while booting.

It is strongly sugested that you go through the procedure on every ugrade. This way you avoid leaving any remant files behind that may cause problems. You will then avoid blaming the new drivers which in most cases
          is not the problem, its just the procedure you used for upgrade.
          No doubt this is the best method but I really must be one of the luckiest people around when it comes to vid drivers since I have never done this in 4 years and yet never had an issue. If only my luck extended to getting a paid position within the industry.

Comment

No doubt this is the best method but I really must be one of the luckiest people around when it comes to vid drivers since I have never done this in 4 years and yet never had an issue. If only my luck extended to getting a paid position within the industry.
            Epic is hiring

But yeah, for a long time I had no issues whatsoever simply uninstalling, restarting, and installing... then NVIDIA went crazy with the betas. =P

Comment

can some1 plz provide the link to 169.28. i only see the 169.25 as the latest driver on nvidia site.

and can some1 also tell me how to check out which nvidia driver is currently installed in a PC.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by unrealkiller View Post
                can some1 plz provide the link to 169.28. i only see the 169.25 as the latest driver on nvidia site.

and can some1 also tell me how to check out which nvidia driver is currently installed in a PC.

Thanks.
                I could have sworn I posted a link to the ones I found yesterday, but my post is gone. Perhaps I broke a forum rule. Not sure.

Er.. do this. Go to google.com, search for "169.28 ut3". I think it is the first link that pops up.

I haven't tried these yet. But I will.

Anuban, I will post my results per your request.

[EDIT] For the record, I'm going to be trying the 169.28's for Vista 64bit on an 8800GTS 640mb...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                  I could have sworn I posted a link to the ones I found yesterday, but my post is gone. Perhaps I broke a forum rule. Not sure.

Er.. do this. Go to google.com, search for "169.28 ut3". I think it is the first link that pops up.

I haven't tried these yet. But I will.

Anuban, I will post my results per your request.

[EDIT] For the record, I'm going to be trying the 169.28's for Vista 64bit on an 8800GTS 640mb...
                  Oh .. well in that case I can't guarantee the problem will be solved for you since I have heard many mixed results when 64 bit vista is thrown into the equation. Plus that GPU is based on the older G80 architecture and not the G92 which is what I am specifically addressing. So you have a very different setup and I honestly have no idea what results you will get. Let me get a link to all the drivers.

- XP drivers
                  http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1818

- Vista 32
                  http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1811

- Vista 64

Comment

Does this set of drivers have any performance boosts if I haven't been experiencing any problems with my 8800GT? I'm using the 169.21s for XP 32.

Comment

Originally posted by xeonshock View Post
                      Does this set of drivers have any performance boosts if I haven't been experiencing any problems with my 8800GT? I'm using the 169.21s for XP 32.
                      Not that I have noticed but you know how that is ... everyone perceives performance improvements differently and people's PCs just have differences so best to try them if you really want a precise answer. But the main aim of these drivers was to correct the problem referenced in my OP.

Comment

AnubanUT2 you seem to enjoy necromancing 4 day old threads don't you?

Stop bumping your own threads, seriously -- it's annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by CvP View Post
                          may be he is referring to Grand Theft Auto...i personally can't find this game anything but boring...but then again, a lot of people like it very much.
                          Boring and idiot, I would add in the list of adjectives. I consider GTA one of the most idiot game on the planet, no matter which version.

Comment

Oh .. well in that case I can't guarantee the problem will be solved for you since I have heard many mixed results when 64 bit vista is thrown into the equation. Plus that GPU is based on the older G80 architecture and not the G92 which is what I am specifically addressing. So you have a very different setup and I honestly have no idea what results you will get. Let me get a link to all the drivers.

- XP drivers
                            http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1818

- Vista 32

- Vista 64
                            Just a note to follow-up. I installed these 169.28's today. After doing some testing, it looks like it solved my pausing problems in UT3.

Thanks.

[edit]
                            specs:
                            amd x2 6400
                            4gb ram
                            8800gts 640mb
                            vista 64-bit

Comment

Nvidia(the card that about 60% to 70% of people have around here) released a driver specially for ONLY UT3 retail players(99% of people on this board).

This deserves a sticky and it's not annoying he sometimes bumps it while answering questions.

Originally posted by kaluro View Post
                              AnubanUT2 you seem to enjoy necromancing 4 day old threads don't you?

Stop bumping your own threads, seriously -- it's annoying.

Comment

Cool glad to hear it worked for you. At least we know that it solves the main pausing bug it was supposed to ... however there may be other issues with the 64 bit drivers so you may want to periodically check the guru3d forums. Now maybe you can get to work making some cool maps like Aztec and Crane for UT3.

Comment

Working...
                                X