Question about the Shock Rifle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the Shock Rifle...

In UT2004, my favourite weapon was the shock rifle. I mainly used the primary fire (after 1st shot with lightning gun) but also LOVED exploding people with the combo..regardless of how im jumping and dodging like mad. In UT3 however, i can still pull off the combo..if i had to choose, its easier to combo in UT3 than UT2004, but its EXTREMELY difficult for me to hit with the primary fire? (when shooting someone, not the shock ball). Is it just me..or has the hitbox become nearly unreasonably small? Same with the sniper rifle? Ok.. I admit, i probably need more practice but **** i cant remember ever struggling that much..

Aiming is very very weird. Goodness knows what it's reliant upon because on different servers with roughly the same ping I can't hit a thing on one but am OK on another. I was OK with shock in 2K4 so I don't think it's me...

It's the only thing that's annoying me about UT3 ATM

It's actually annoying me quite a lot as it goes

Tried all the ini fixes with mouse smoothing / accel off etc etc but it's just so variable !?!?!?!?

Comment

Yeah my point? Lol and wtf is up with mouse sensitivity 1000~9999?! I cant imagine any1 having the time..patience or sanity to sit there and config that option... 1~25 like in ut04 was fine for me. I played that on 6.00. In ut3..4500. And it feels...odd. With acc off... Hmmm the feel SCREAMS "console!". Not to mention the UI

Comment

yeah everyone seems to have theories on why the shock primary is harder to hit with in UT3 then UT2004.

My theory is the tracer for the shock rifle in UT3 almost looks like it has a slight delay. Which if true would naturally throw most people off and make it awkward and harder to land shots consistently. Especially since it was instant in 2k4, and to further re-enforce that theory, many of 2k4's servers use UTcomp with enhanced netcoding which really helped make it easier to aim with the shock primary as well.

Comment

This delay you mentioned Rygar, is very noticable on the hellbender rear cannon. I believe it's the same mechanism.

I find it hard to aim in UT3 regardless of what weapon I use, no matter what I do I never ever feel confident in my mouse movements. I suppose it's just more practise etc, but still.
          (Was easier to aim in ut2k3 )

Comment

It still feels a little bit weird for me too, but since I get lots of kills with it, I just blame the heavy overall feel of UT3 and the faster general movement (running). I felt something like a delay and stuff in the beginning too, but since I tweaked the mouse settings, turned weaps to hidden and practised a lot, shock primary became my weapon with the 2nd most kills (after combo).

I say it just needs a lot of time to get used too; still that doesn't explain that people experience these "lags" even weeks after they started to play. :/

Comment

Originally posted by RyGaR View Post
              yeah everyone seems to have theories on why the shock primary is harder to hit with in UT3 then UT2004.

My theory is the tracer for the shock rifle in UT3 almost looks like it has a slight delay. Which if true would naturally throw most people off and make it awkward and harder to land shots consistently. Especially since it was instant in 2k4, and to further re-enforce that theory, many of 2k4's servers use UTcomp with enhanced netcoding which really helped make it easier to aim with the shock primary as well.
              +1 bro
              that's exactly how i would explain the feeling of shooting the shock beam.
              it feels to me there is a delay between clicking on prime-fire and seeing the shock beam come out..
              i have been trying to adjust myself to hit it.. but it's getting very confusing when ping comes into the count.

Comment

Personally, I think it's that player collision in UT3 is different than in UT2004.

In UT2004, the player collision radius was so wide that if you ran up next to a teammate it seemed like you had a 5 foot gap between you even when standing as close as possible. The UT3 collision radius seems more natural in proportion, and so you've got a narrower, taller cylinder to hit.

Comment

I really liked the crosshairs in UT2004

Comment

Originally posted by iron12 View Post
                    I really liked the crosshairs in UT2004
                    And this is on-topic how?

Comment

To really do an effective combo you almost have to be at rest for a half second
                      to hit the burst dead on. I can't seem to do any while moving.

I see other players hesitating and resting also so maybe this is how its done in UT3.

All i know is that I need more practice at it, a lot more.

Comment

yeh aiming in UT3 is very different to UT2004...using the shock rifle and sniper on close combat are quite useless...

Comment

I can very easily pull off a combo, whether moving or not. I usually jump around like mad and do it..but i agree with madmanxan, their primary fire effectiveness is almost useless now. I need to play MORE! lol

Comment

i tell you what this game just doesnt feel good for some wepons im afraid - i loved fireing all the guns in original 99 and 2k4 but there just isnt the same satisfaction or feeling of control in this game i too rarely use the shock prime and it and lg were my main weps in ut2k4.

interesting point i read that one of the orginasations had adopted quake 3 rather than ut3 for there pro gaming leuge so i decided to look out the old q3 cd- couldnt find it so i dl the demo of off steam and wow the game might look average ( tbh it doesnt look to much worse than ut3 when u strip everything back for playability ) but i was struck by one thing the game felt great - really satisfying rocket jumping shotgun lg man it was amazing how good the bots were as well and the maps i think having guns you just want to fire is the no1 thing in a fps like this if somehow they get it wrong then bam nothing else can really be right.

Comment

Originally posted by T1tusCr0w View Post
                              i tell you what this game just doesnt feel good for some wepons im afraid - i loved fireing all the guns in original 99 and 2k4 but there just isnt the same satisfaction or feeling of control in this game i too rarely use the shock prime and it and lg were my main weps in ut2k4.
                              I just returned from some 2k4 TAM games... ****, it felt so great! Indescribable how perfectly balanced and tuned the Shock Rifle is - the rate of fire, the damage, the sound, the core speed, the combo, the visibility, the knockback...

As I said before in this thread, I can handle the UT3 shock rifle quite well, but it feels so heavy, slow, somewhat "thick" and just not right. Again I blame UT3's overall feel - get used to it and adapt or rox your way through the enemy masses. :P It's just a different game, maybe too different though.

Comment

Working...
                              X