Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Detailed impressions about UT3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    My Detailed impressions about UT3

    Hi Everyone!
    I've bought the collectors edition and patched to 1.1 few days ago, and after having spent some time playing, I'd like to tell what I think of this game.

    I think that technically (I mean, the hard stuff) this is the best-built game I ever played! Graphically cool and very optimized, on my laptop runs better than any other UE3 game (for istance, Bioshock).
    Also it has probably the best netcode I ever tried... I can play in the biggest maps with lots of players, explosions, particles and other cool stuff with a **** 800kbits ADSL!


    About the game modes, I say:

    Warfare: Offline is bad because of the bots, that never make clever choices! I mean, I have to do all myself, and this becomes impossible to manage in large maps! Still not tried online.

    Deathmatch and CTF are good offline and AWESOME online!! Faster than in any other game! And very satisfying when you kill someone! Yes, because some online players are incredibly skilled, I wonder how much hours they have spent on this game!

    Single player campaign: It is NOT a single player campaign! I expected a real single player campaing (like half life), not what I found, that should be labeled "Play_a_lot_of_deathmatches_and_CFTs_and_Warfare_a nd_Warfare_and_Warfare_with_some_beautiful_movies_ inside" but maybe this would not fit on the menu.

    Other things:

    Crashing: Unfortunately, on my laptop the game still crashes, and this is not a good point, especially in Warfare that is long to complete and required in the SP campaign.

    Game modes: Aarrrrhhhh.. where are the great Bombing run and Double Domination modes of UT2004???! They were great! Hope they will be included in the future!

    Collectors Bonus Disk: I appreciated it a lot, and it is what is needed to learn using the Editor!


    Finally, I would like to spend some words abouts the online gaming mode:
    Most of the players are better than me (I'm ranked around 10000...), and after playing some hours I concluded that there should have been a dynamic system based on ranking that allows players to play only with others with similar skills.

    I mean, only the best gamers will really enjoy because they always win, but those who aren't skilled enough and cannot play 5hrs a day to train, will always lose because all servers are opened to all players.

    Or maybe, someone could tell me which are the n00b servers


    However, this is the best UT ever, and also best fast-paced FPS ever!! And ****, I like it!

    #2
    **** he makes good points there. Although I'm glad they didn't do a dynamic system based on ranking - other games (like AoE3) I found there were very few N00B servers so it was very hard to find a decent game for me and I'd say the same might happen here. + If your already great at ut3 it'd be annoying working your way from the bottom.

    Other than that... thanks for the comments

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Epickiller View Post
      **** he makes good points there. Although I'm glad they didn't do a dynamic system based on ranking - other games (like AoE3) I found there were very few N00B servers so it was very hard to find a decent game for me and I'd say the same might happen here. + If your already great at ut3 it'd be annoying working your way from the bottom.

      Other than that... thanks for the comments
      Perfectly comprehensible, but maybe they could have set this system to be optional, so you could choose a "free-skill" server or a "bounded-skill" server.

      Users are partially guilty of this problem, because the "bot skill" is available online, and I expect that if I enter in a "Skilled" server, players should be skilled on average. What else happens is that in all the servers I join there are always 2 or 3 godlike players that necessarily massacre me every time they see me. At least I like gore!

      The other problem is that there are always too few players online, and this is a crying shame because the game is so great!

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Biz84 View Post
        Hi Everyone!
        I've bought the collectors edition and patched to 1.1 few days ago, and after having spent some time playing, I'd like to tell what I think of this game.

        I think that technically (I mean, the hard stuff) this is the best-built game I ever played! Graphically cool and very optimized, on my laptop runs better than any other UE3 game (for istance, Bioshock).
        Also it has probably the best netcode I ever tried... I can play in the biggest maps with lots of players, explosions, particles and other cool stuff with a **** 800kbits ADSL!


        About the game modes, I say:

        Warfare: Offline is bad because of the bots, that never make clever choices! I mean, I have to do all myself, and this becomes impossible to manage in large maps! Still not tried online.

        Deathmatch and CTF are good offline and AWESOME online!! Faster than in any other game! And very satisfying when you kill someone! Yes, because some online players are incredibly skilled, I wonder how much hours they have spent on this game!

        Single player campaign: It is NOT a single player campaign! I expected a real single player campaing (like half life), not what I found, that should be labeled "Play_a_lot_of_deathmatches_and_CFTs_and_Warfare_a nd_Warfare_and_Warfare_with_some_beautiful_movies_ inside" but maybe this would not fit on the menu.

        Other things:

        Crashing: Unfortunately, on my laptop the game still crashes, and this is not a good point, especially in Warfare that is long to complete and required in the SP campaign.

        Game modes: Aarrrrhhhh.. where are the great Bombing run and Double Domination modes of UT2004???! They were great! Hope they will be included in the future!

        Collectors Bonus Disk: I appreciated it a lot, and it is what is needed to learn using the Editor!


        Finally, I would like to spend some words abouts the online gaming mode:
        Most of the players are better than me (I'm ranked around 10000...), and after playing some hours I concluded that there should have been a dynamic system based on ranking that allows players to play only with others with similar skills.

        I mean, only the best gamers will really enjoy because they always win, but those who aren't skilled enough and cannot play 5hrs a day to train, will always lose because all servers are opened to all players.

        Or maybe, someone could tell me which are the n00b servers


        However, this is the best UT ever, and also best fast-paced FPS ever!! And ****, I like it!
        800 Kbit ADSL??? I got a 1 MB ADSL and having weapons lag issues and that's because I can't join servers with pings lower than 100!! aren't you having any lag?? can you find servers with pings lower than 100 ??

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Batzi View Post
          800 Kbit ADSL??? I got a 1 MB ADSL and having weapons lag issues and that's because I can't join servers with pings lower than 100!! aren't you having any lag?? can you find servers with pings lower than 100 ??
          Well, sometimes it happens, but most times I can play a complete 20min DM without any problems; the best servers I see have a ping starting from 80-90, and I can play quite well until 160.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Biz84 View Post
            Well, sometimes it happens, but most times I can play a complete 20min DM without any problems; the best servers I see have a ping starting from 80-90, and I can play quite well until 160.
            well you're lucky because I can't find any servers with pings under 170. Most of them are between 200 - 500 and goes up to 2500 which needs an explanation because it doesn't make any sense!

            Comment


              #7
              Other people have complained about the same problem. Try this: Join a game or two and type "stat net" in the console. Your true ping may be in a normal range. I think the exaggerated numbers are not accurate.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                Other people have complained about the same problem. Try this: Join a game or two and type "stat net" in the console. Your true ping may be in a normal range. I think the exaggerated numbers are not accurate.
                I got the PS3 version. no consoles.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hmmmm. I don't know anything about the PS3 version, but I presume there must be a way to use the "stat net" function. Sorry I can't help you more.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X