Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS3 hosts, please choose "Keyboard & Mouse: Yes" when hosting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 hosts, please choose "Keyboard & Mouse: Yes" when hosting!

When you are hosting a game on the PS3 the default under the Server options is "Keyboard & Mouse: No"

It would be great if Epic changed this so that the default is Yes!

Say I want to join a game of CTF and it's late at night. There might be two games in progress, each with 4 of 8 players. One game allows keyboard, the other does not. Yes, the keyboard and mouse people are going to have a slight advantage, but it's something you can overcome if you are good at the game, or in-the-zone. I've only got K&M hooked up because my PS3 is set-up at the computer desk and it's more familiar to me - I know there are lots of sixaxis controller folks who could pwn me, but often I can't play with them because of they probably just ignored the silly default settings for the K&M option when setting up the host

Just judging from what I've read from other people on forums, the people who don't use KB/M don't seem to want to play with mouse users. They feel that they would be at a disadvantage. I wish they were all mouse-enabled too, because I can't use the controller for this game.

Another thing that sucks is when you're searching, let's say you look up a game of CTF and have it filter for KB/M rooms. If you don't find one you want, and you go back to search for a WAR game, it has reset your KB/M filter to "any". I've accidentally joined controller-only rooms because of that.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea.

Comment

If people want to host Controller-only games that's fine, but if you are setting up the server and don't really care either way, please take the extra time to change the default from "No" to "Yes" and make mixed controls matches

Probably a lot of folks using sixaxis are new to the game, so Controller-only matches are probably a better place to find a match that doesn't have UT vets playing. Hopefully as they get more hooked on the awesome madness that is UT they'll get a K&M hooked up to their rig so that they can play the game the way it's meant to be played

There is no matchmaking system in UT3, but in UT2K4 matches most of the experienced players would notice right away a completely unbalanced match and switch sides to balance it out - so by allowing K&M you might have some stiffer competition, but hopefully the matches will still be tooth-and-nail tense!

Comment

You mean it's possible to further segregate not only between different systems, but between which device you use to control your guy?

Christ. That's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheat 360 View Post
            If people want to host Controller-only games that's fine, but if you are setting up the server and don't really care either way, please take the extra time to change the default from "No" to "Yes" and make mixed controls matches
            That's a really good point. If you're going to set up a dedicated server for other people to play on, there's no reason not to make it KB/M-enabled. I didn't even think about people who don't play on their own servers.

Comment

I'll start turning it on just for you

Comment

w00t! I'm using Keyboard & Mouse and now I'm infliciting severe brutal pwnage!!! I'm bruning up the Warfare servers

Comment

Originally posted by Wheat 360 View Post
                  When you are hosting a game on the PS3 the default under the Server options is "Keyboard & Mouse: No"

It would be great if Epic changed this so that the default is Yes!

Say I want to join a game of CTF and it's late at night. There might be two games in progress, each with 4 of 8 players. One game allows keyboard, the other does not. Yes, the keyboard and mouse people are going to have a slight advantage, but it's something you can overcome if you are good at the game, or in-the-zone. I've only got K&M hooked up because my PS3 is set-up at the computer desk and it's more familiar to me - I know there are lots of sixaxis controller folks who could pwn me, but often I can't play with them because of they probably just ignored the silly default settings for the K&M option when setting up the host
                  No way can a good controller user beat a good keyboard and mouse user. I prefer playing against opponents using the same setup.

Comment

You haven't seen a good controller-user then, (or perhaps I am bad enough at the game that a controller-freak may stand an above-average chance ) ...

It's a damned shame when people become paranoid about other platforms & control-methods.
                    It really makes me wonder if we're going to get games that stop players with HDTV and/or surround-sound from playing on the same servers as SDTV/Stereo-users.

Comment

Honestly some of the controller users are pretty good. I haven't used one for more than 5 minutes, but I assume there is a touch of magnetism going on with them. Some people could argue that the controller is actually the one that is unfair.

Comment

Sorry but claiming a controller is good for FPS is like claiming an automatic is good for racing, you got less control, less buttons and less precision.

I have no doubt you can get good with a controller, but you'll never get quite as good as someone that's good with a mouse+keyboard, a mouse is infinitely more precise than an analog stick.

Comment

Working...
                        X