How do you voice chat on PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you voice chat on PC?

I was online the other nght and I heard a couple people voice chatting? I didn't think this was an option in the game? I understand you can voice chat if you have ventrilo, xfire, or teamspeak or something but then I wouldn't be able to hear them? Is there a way to voice chat? I tried asking them, but they wouldn't respond.

in the manual it says this.
    enable or disable voice chat functionailty during multiplayer matches.
    there are two setting in the main menu.you can mute your voice or adjust voices volume.
    If you have voiced enabled it will appear so on your friends list.rep buy an icon.
    your microphone hardware must be config in your windows before starting ut3.

[edit]i guess we press b to talk on the pc version.

Comment

chat?

try Ventrilo.

uses very little cpu, and works great!

Comment

I have a TeamSpeak Server! Works Great For Me!!

Comment

Does the built in voice chat work well? they had it in BF2 but I remember hearing that very few people used it because it used a lot of bandwidth (IIRC).

Comment

Doesn't work at all in UT3 from what I can tell. Every once in a while a word or two pops out of the ether but other than that, no worky.

Comment

Oh it works just fine, but it requires very high microphone volume to actually broadcast anything. If you use in-game voice chat and then head on ventrilo/TS, people will be begging you to turn your volume down.

Comment

Well now that I have to try, thanks Droniac! Seems like nobody has figured this one out yet on the servers I have frequented as there is a distinct lack of VOIP in conjunction with much complaining that it does not work.

Comment

you press B to voice chat, works for me all the time and i can hear other pplz

Comment

In the Beta, I heard clear and understandable conversation several times. I tried voice chat with some friends in a private server, but they said they could only catch a few words hear and there. I probably need to adjust the mic input levels in Windows and try again.

I have heard the errant phrase come across in the full version, but no full scale voice chat. Because of the evolution of PC gaming, there isn't the constant irritating chatter in PC games like there are on XBOX live and I assume PS3 live services as well.

I'm an old school, and occasional "N1" and "GG" are perfect for pubbing, and If I want to chat with friends I can set up a private ventrillo, teamspeak or rogerwilco session. The problem with 2k4's voice chat was that it caused the ingame sounds to almost completely mute.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinkledorf View Post
                      Doesn't work at all in UT3 from what I can tell. Every once in a while a word or two pops out of the ether but other than that, no worky.
                      Yeah thats been my experience. I wonder if Epic thought nobody used it so they didn't include it this time around?

Comment

I don't think I've heard a single spoken word online with UT3, and every time I try my mic no one can hear me. Of course I know what key is bound to transmit speech and I use my mic all the time in other games and skype. Is it possible servers have disabled voice chat for some reason?

I really want to get this working as all the online games I've played so far have been lame because there is no teamwork and no coordination.

Comment

Seriously. I just dont understand the stigma some people have with using voice chat in normal public games. XBL games dont just have contant non-important blabbering all day. Most of the time if its a team based game or game type, voice chat is pretty **** helpful. And after playing a LONG overtime VCTF match (due to both sides having team mates using voice comm) I can say without a doubt that it really adds to the teamwork aspect of the game. People followed directions, nothing complex of course (just small commands and suggestions) and everyone had alot of fun.

Also its faster to call out an enemy coming to a certain side while moving, rather than just coming to a complete stop and typing it out (or even the auto voiced commands).

Comment

Originally posted by Teknoman View Post

Also its faster to call out an enemy coming to a certain side while moving, rather than just coming to a complete stop and typing it out (or even the auto voiced commands).
                            Yeah no kidding. UT2004 worked like a charm. Seems like you can get better games going if people could talk to each other. You're a setting duck if you try to type it out. Unless you find a really good place to hide.

Graphics are good but some of these simple things where sacrificed.

Comment

Played some more VCTF tonight and I did hear some other voices, but hey were real hard to hear, and often just a word or two here and there. I repeatedly yelled out if anyone could hear but I am not sure if I got a response. If so, it was only when I talked loud and almost swallowed the mic. I have mic boost on, so there is no need for me to do that with other game.

Comment

Working...
                              X