UT3 v1.1 Review by Beyond Unreal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 v1.1 Review by Beyond Unreal!

The cool dudes at Beyond Unreal have posted a lengthy review of post patch 1.1 UT3

http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/220_1.php

"We wanted to take our time playing through UT3 after the first patch was finalized before we began the process. The patch has come and gone and we've put together a pretty long winded review, complete with opinions from four separate staff members.

If you haven't the patience for such things, you can always scroll really fast down the page, past the pretty pictures and check out the bottom line!"

Pretty good review, but are BeyondUnreal not a tad biased by there relations with EPIC? (invite's to events, interviews, inside information, relationships) I know this is always the case in the gaming review bussiness because if these 'relations' are valued and you wright a really bad review on a developer with EPIC's status in the business, you will simply be left in the cold next time. But BeyondUnreal has a very specific aim, mainly to cover everything that has something to do with the Unreal series. Therefore I wonder, and read their articles with a jar of salt on my desk.

UT3 gameplay is really good, that is something I can add from my personal oppinion, totally unbiased offcourse .

Comment

Originally posted by Slokop View Post
      Pretty good review, but are BeyondUnreal not a tad biased by there relations with EPIC? (invite's to events, interviews, inside information, relationships) I know this is always the case in the gaming review bussiness because if these 'relations' are valued and you wright a really bad review on a developer with EPIC's status in the business, you will simply be left in the cold next time. But BeyondUnreal has a very specific aim, mainly to cover everything that has something to do with the Unreal series. Therefore I wonder, and read their articles with a jar of salt on my desk.
      Well while you have a point there mate, they are also hardcore fans of the series - thus have more experience with what they're reviewing, as compared to a reviewer from IGN or Gamespot.

Comment

Dark_Pulse: UT3, while quite a good game to me, feels a little... unfinished, for lack of a better word. It could've used perhaps a few more player models, a few more maps, a few more of... well, everything, really, except perhaps for UI Menus. Does this mean it's a bad game? Absolutely not. The gameplay is solid, fun, and frantic, one thing they've always promised and delivered on. The quick release of Patch 1 helped quite a bit, but it's still got a long way to go. Fortunately, it's more of a downhill battle than an uphill one - in due time custom maps, characters, and gamemodes will be released, and by this time next year we should be able to look back at the launch and regardless of how good or bad you think it is now, be glad that it happened. Some games might look prettier, some might have better storylines, and some might have more online players, but you won't find a game that, regardless of how the market changes, sticks to its guns for its longtime fans.
        If I had said that on these forums my thread wud be deleted. lolol.

Comment

Ay, I was expecting something really biased which ignored all the flaws and praised the insignificant additions, but Dark_Pulse put it pretty well there.

Comment

Originally posted by sltdestini View Post
            Ay, I was expecting something really biased which ignored all the flaws and praised the insignificant additions, but Dark_Pulse put it pretty well there.
            I agree with you bud!!

Comment

it was nice to see somone absolutly give the flaws of the game UI the beating they so richly deserve. overall a detailed and well written review, though being from the 2004 centric play base i disagree with a few of the decisions epic made this time round.
              i did expect a more flowery review from Bu, nice to know integrity won out (mostly)

Comment

Good review, and the game needed a thorough bashing of it's UI system. Fortunately this is being worked on for upcoming patches.

Comment

"The Only Review That Matters"

Epic should slowly and carefully read the first couple paragraphs of the BU article "Getting Started" (and then of course read the rest) because the BU review clearly and without whining or bashing outlines many of the the problems with just getting started with UT3 and this is in an otherwise mostly glowing review. These 'getting started problems' are alot of what is turning players off (new and old) and keeping ppl from playing online.

yes we know they know, theyve read most of the forum posts like everyone else - but here it is clear as day from the premier UT source on the web, from people who unlike most other reviewers, really care about the series and really play the game.

Excellent Review BU guys!

Comment

UT3 gameplay is really good, that is something I can add from my personal oppinion, totally unbiased offcourse .
                    I agree, but just maybe they can be a catalyst for some real changes. We still have a ways to fo IMHO.

Comment

Read the review again... Honest and to the point quotes like:

The weak multiplayer interface is simply shocking.
                      pretty much let you know that though the reviewers may love UT - they arent going to butter anyones buns just for a malcolm coffee mug either

Comment

It was a long read but I really think they hit the nail on the head.

Comment

I still find the fact you need a unique login for each server and no linux server unforgivable, both result in a much smaller server count.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                            I still find the fact you need a unique login for each server and no linux server unforgivable, both result in a much smaller server count.
                            I thought the linux server was finally out!?

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                              I thought the linux server was finally out!?
                              It is, from the last thing I read on BU.

http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus...t.php?id=11383

Comment

Working...
                              X