Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Warfare is Dying (or is dead already?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Warfare is Dying (or is dead already?)

New poster here although I have been trolling the site for quite sometime, being a large fan and reasonably dedicated UT player. Played them all except 2K3.

I have a preference for ONS so War was what I had been anticipating with UT3. I realize that there are several issues with the game as it currently stands, but I feel the following are the main reasons why Warfare in particular is not doing so well.

1. Lack of team randomization between maps
    2. Lack of team balancing
    3. VOIP does not work

As mentioned, there are a number of other issues all of which have been numerously enumerated and debated to death on these forums since UT3 was released and they all need Epic's attention. However, Warfare will not survive unless the above mentioned 3 issues are resolved pronto.

The chances of two evenly matched teams generating out of the randomness that is the internets is extremely low. Secondly, the chances of the same number of people leaving both teams at the same time is even less. Lastly, without viable VOIP comms, Warfare is just chaos without any rhyme or reason. Sure at times a few players ending up on the same team can take queues off each other and play as a team but in general, it just doesn't happen.

I couldn't agree with you more. I hope all these issues could be done in a patch but somehow I doubt it. Maybe a bonus pack even though I don't see these things as a bonus but bare essentials.

Comment

I think that the voice which commands the players to do things is a good idea. I think that voice saves Warfare such that expert and noob players alike may focus on common goals. There is no more excuses for being at a random part of the map.

Other than that, sometimes I am still loading when the match had already started. In fact, most, if not all nodes are taken and my team's power core is under attack before I spawn. Depending on the server, a single match-win means a map change, and I have to load again.

Comment

warfare is onslaught with a new name and a lot more confusion (orbs? spare me)

why did they over complicate FPS online so much? should be deathmatch, team deathmatch, ctf (vctf which should be all in the same category), onslaught and assault mode.

3-5 modes is more than enough to have variety and they dont have to be overly complicated.

that and the listed issues. they need to make warfare what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Xvoid8f View Post
          I think that the voice which commands the players to do things is a good idea. I think that voice saves Warfare such that expert and noob players alike may focus on common goals. There is no more excuses for being at a random part of the map.
          The problem with this is that the game command voice gives improper instructions. It tells you to defend the core, lol! Not good.

Secondly,the instructions only come one at a time and are not connected in any manner. A properly communicated team will split into several sub teams to handle different aspects of the map, some attack, some defend, etc. It was this dynamic that made ONS so popular on pubs.

Comment

DEAD GAME

cod4 ftw.

Comment

Main Reason: needing more then 1 gig of ram to play it. (I had to upgrade from 1 gig to 2 gig just to play it)

Warfare is meant to appeal to the casual gamer, which does not have gaming PC. Only a small minority of the pc gamer community have a good enough gaming pc to run it smoothly.

Comment

voip exist. check your keys config =)

I've got athlon 3200+, 1 GB of memory and GeForce 6600 GT 128 - everything is perfect (res 800*600, 1:1 =))))

Comment

Originally posted by Dinkledorf View Post
                  1. Lack of team randomization between maps
                  2. Lack of team balancing
                  Dunno about anyone else, but if they fixed these two things, I'd actually go back to playing online once in a while.

Comment

Alright this is completely my own opinion but lets be honest, there is a small difference between Ons and Warfare. The difference between the two is that Warfare has orbs and environmental factors that effect the players (e.g. avalanche, flood gate etc). If anything it is a "next gen" ons.

Too many **** nay sayers on this forum saying both Gears of War and UT3 are going to perish. To all those people who post negativity on these forums on a daily basis, I have one question. I do not mean to sound offensive, I am just curious: why do you continue to stay on these forums if you think the game is prematurely doomed? If I am no longer interested in a game I just stop playing it altogether and toss it aside, simple as that.

Comment

I personally don't play Warfare because I don't really understand it. I skipped the SP and the manual really doesn't help. I stick to TDM and CTF.

Comment

If you could see on the mini map where all your team members are and you know what needs attacking or defending then it would be easier to play. If your core is under attack and your entire team rushes back to it, your gona lose, you need to see your team mates on a map and a few of you need to head of and grab a node to secure your core.

VOIP would be ideal though, I have a dusty headset from my days on BF2 that I would love to dust of for warfare matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Asurastrike View Post
                          I personally don't play Warfare because I don't really understand it. I skipped the SP and the manual really doesn't help. I stick to TDM and CTF.
                          If you play the campaign on around the 5-6 or 7th mission you get a tutorial run down on how warfare works, its really very simple, its just the lack of ability to know what your team is up to that stops the strategy from coming out. Everyone runs around like headless chickens.

The orbs just allow you to instantly capture nodes, rather than having to destroy them with your weapons, if you bring the orb to a node that is already yours, it locks the node as long as you are holding it and don't die.

Comment

The main reasons I stopped playing warfare are:

Team balance is broken
                            Less strategy than ONS

Ons was a game of chess and even without communication you could see which nodes were being attacked either by your team mates or the opposition and adjust your own objectives accordingly (And crucially because of the time to take nodes down you had time to execute your plans). Now with the orb you can't plan, there's no strategy other than stop (or help) the Orb.

Not all is lost though... because of the dismal failure of WAR there are now more players on ONS and *** in UT2K4 that there were 3 months ago

Comment

Voip helps, but it really isn't critical. It wasn't used much in ut2004. But it would be good to have it working

5 things are needed

Servers should only host as many plaeyrs as a map can handle. THere are loads of rubbish 32 player servers out there- and the maps can't cope with 32 players.
                              Team balance
                              Team randomisation
                              Propper tutorials that teach players how to play, and how to play well.
                              Bigger maps that players can explore. This leaves you with more 1 on 1, 2 on 1 and smaller scale battles, and not 5 against 5 and more which new players don't have the spatial awareness to cope with.

The reason there is no strategy is the map design. There never was strategy in Epic's ONS maps - they were all - rush to cut off the enemy prime.

Now there is an extra strategic element with the orb, and with decent maps there's a lot of scope.

and it isn't dying. It hasen't woken up yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X