Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Arnout View Post
    Epic can't save UT3. Only the Lord Jesus Christ can. Our fate is in His hands.
    Well it's coming up that time of year so maybe JC can "save it" through Christmas spirit, failing that Santa could give it a bash

Leave a comment:

• replied
    For those guys who quoted me ... i know they released bonus packs before. I am sure they will but the thing is this game is unfinished. It needs a LOT of work. They will probably make another UT next year fixing all the bugs. Look at UT2k3 and UT2k4. They made us pay twice where they could have fixed everything using bonus packs and been kind enough to give it to us for free. So far i have bought UT99 maybe like 3 or 4 times, UT2k3, UT2k4 and my brother got me UT3. Out of all 4 games, UT99 was the only one that was worth paying for. I think i broke the UT2k3 CD in half and i broke my UT2k4 DVD in half. UT3 was a download thank god.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by richcz3 View Post
    Here's a thought.
    Patch Updates. List what's being worked on (beyond whats in the sticky) and what we can look forwards to. That would go a long way.

I am liking UT3 but I'm not limited to one form of FPS. I also play other FPS games. COD4 for the PC plays great out of the box with few issues yet Infinity Ward is busy getting out patch updates (the latest out yesterday v1.4).

Mark Rein I know you're having fun on your PS3 version of UT3 but can you let the PC gamers in on some game plan we can look forward to?

TIA
    Agreed!! As sad as it is, things like "Cool stuff are coming for this game!" (nice one Mark) or "Working on a brand new UI for PC" or at least a "we know we screwed up and we are working on it" gives people hope!!!

Also forgot to add to my little list:

*NEW DEMO and advertise the hell out of it! On milk cartons if you have to!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here's a thought.
    Patch Updates. List what's being worked on (beyond whats in the sticky) and what we can look forwards to. That would go a long way.

I am liking UT3 but I'm not limited to one form of FPS. I also play other FPS games. COD4 for the PC plays great out of the box with few issues yet Infinity Ward is busy getting out patch updates (the latest out yesterday v1.4).

Mark Rein I know you're having fun on your PS3 version of UT3 but can you let the PC gamers in on some game plan we can look forward to?

TIA

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Honest Opinion?

First and foremost, STOP working on the 360 version for now, you released two incomplete versions of the game so fix those first.

Second, saving UT is almost impossible since everyone has a different idea of what perfect UT is. But to be on the safe side and in my opinion this is the smartest thing they can possibly do (although I'm sure they won't) is:

*More maps, characters and Costumizations (they will do those)
    *Bring back classic Domination and, IF THEY CAN MAKE IT SERIOUSLY GOOD, classic assault (never going to happen)
    *Bring back Ripper (most likely never going to happen)
    *Try and expand the already crappy Single Player (don't care)
    *Brand New UI for PC (Never going to happen)

Since the gameplay is very good, this is all they really have to do in my opinion to "save" this game. Unfortunately, it may already be too late.

Oh...another thing they could do is make a new BETTER UT game for 2008, just like with UT2004. (never going to happen, know why? multiplatform)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How do you save UT3?

This is a question and on the mind of many, but realistically, save it from what? I’ll be the first to admit that when the “tech demo” came out, I would have guessed another 3-4 months until release contrary to the two weeks burst in to the market without warning. After all, with the amount of people having issues in this forum and many others, you would have thought another look at the deadline would have been in order. That being said, shortly after the release, out I went on a shopping spree to replace old faithful PC who was thrown together for UT2K4 as my UT99/2K3 machine was showing its age. In terms of people *****ing about requirements, its 2007 almost 2008. If you thought that preconfigured Dell with onboard video that cost you $400 would last you 3-4 years in the gaming world, you’re obviously new to this world. The fact that next generation game = new computer is nothing new for me. I remember having to upgrade to a 4mb video card for Rise Of The Triad (one of the greatest DM shooters of all time), upgrading a full computer for Descent, hell even in ’98 throwing in another 3D accelerator for Unreal 1. So when we started to hear more about Project Envy/UT2K5/UT2K6/UT2K7/UT3 … I knew a new PC was in order. I can understand the frustration of being young in school and not having money, but isn’t that why the gaming market has focused on consoles these last few years? Go pick up a console, and don’t stress about PC requirements.

Bugs. Sure there are many this time around. But I’ve been playing the Unreal/Unreal Tournament series since day 1, so to recap that’s basically almost 10 years now, and there have always been bugs. You want to see real bugs? Ask the poor guys who bought Battlefield about bugs and patches lol. As far as I’m concerned, perhaps I’m lucky but I haven’t had a single crash, my frame rates are maxed out with highest settings and everything runs smooth. Yet there are people out there stressed about systems 4x the price and specs of mine who are not able to run this? The question then becomes, what are you doing with your system? Why is it always the first time overclockers/windows tweakers who have these problems? Whatever happened to not playing with things you do not understand?

So am I defending this game till the bitter end? Hell No. I don’t even bother playing online. Why? Servers are not there. Map selection in servers … not there yet. Actually most of the time servers are completely empty. Why? I’ve been running Unreal/Unreal Tournament series servers since the beginning, and as an admin, this is where I’m really disappointed. The fact that web admin, which I’ve always thought was the most brilliant part of Unreal Tournament is … not available YET? Compression for redirect files … not YET? What about the elusive cheat protection? You remember … those people who decide they are so bad at the game the only way to play is with a script running … ya botters … 2007/2008 and STILL nothing? Have we forgotten what destroyed traffic in UT2k4 (or any other version)? Seriously, best thing to do now is please, work your buns off and get us some compressed redirect files so that people will start playing custom content (after all, you have to admit, the reason for Unreal’s’ success since the beginning has always been based on custom content, from maps to mods etc.) Get us that **** web admin so we can stop pretending its 1998 and start tattooing command lines to our fingers for quick reference. We still run 5 UT2K4 servers, and all I can note from that or the Unreal 1 or UT99 servers is, the more custom content, the more active the server, so PLEASE let’s get working on a fix to make custom toys accessible, and throw in the web admin for good measure! I don’t need to repeat myself again do I?

As a gamer … Respect to Epic for the eye candy. I know some might say that others recent games look nicer, but **** look at the detail on high settings. The concepts, the new possibilities are just … awesome. With ever generation of Unreal, you can count on the first 1-3 months to be the teething phase, after which, the custom content and unique game play with lead the way. Be patient is all I’m saying. Having written mutators, making maps etc in the past all I can say is there is more potential in this game than ever before. I can’t wait to see what this will all look like in a month or two. In the mean time, I’ll continue playing UT3, start making content and will wait for Epic to release at least a fix for the servers, because as soon as the server issues are taken care of, the fun WILL begin. To the 2K4 die hards, NO it’s not 2K4, to the UT99 freaks; NO it’s not UT99 … its UT3. Each time a new game comes out in a series, of course things change. Isn’t that the point? I know there are still people playing Unreal 1, even after 10 years, and that’s excellent! (I’m on the servers whenever I get the chance) … but this is a new game, so enjoy all the flavors of Unreal, but work to get this new one up to the level we’ve all come to expect. We have set high standards as Epic has given us some great games in the past, but that doesn’t mean each one was perfect the second you ripping it out of the shrink wrap.

Just another opinion (be it a long drawn out one).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think Epic needs to just keep doing what they are doing. Sure, the games have changed, the style the gameplay, and the feel. I hate reading complaints about how UT3 should be like "insert older version here." Is all you wanted really just a prettier version of the old game?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ultron View Post
    Epic has released free expansion packs for UT, UT2k3, UT2k4 so it's reasonable to assume they will release at least one for UT3.
    I've enjoyed there past bonus packs.

But ya, if there NOT free, UT3 will be a dead game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I woulden't be so quick to trust Jesus if i where you, that little runt stole my hubcaps!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ... We're screwed. Hand these things to Satan I say, he can save everyone!

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I agree with a lot of points TPSfan makes, incidentally.

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
    Of course. Every iteration of UT had at least 2 free bonuspacks.
    Yeah if you want to break it down by generation:

Unreal Tournament - 4 bonus packs

Unreal Tournament 2 - 4 bonus packs (2 for 2k3, 2 for 2k4 which became the Mega Pack)

Unreal Tournament 3 - I think you know where I am going with this....

And naturally there have been thousands of maps and dozens of mods for each previous generation of UT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by sltdestini View Post
    Ye nice joke an all, but a lot of people including myself prefer to move onto the latest iteration of the game, in hope that all the community does to. If I dislike that, I'll find another new game under the spotlight.

Mind you if UT ends, I might just stop playing all together.

We're trying to get a community here, don't go encouraging people to go back to the other games ffs.
    Then you missed my point, which was identical to "move onto the latest iteration of the game." If the OP doesn't want to play the latest iteration, then he shouldn't complain about it...just go play the game that he does want to play. He said he wants to play UT2004 and that's what I told him to do. If he wants to play UT3, then he should learn how to play Warfare, which, at worst, is as good as ONS...even though it is a different game: as intended.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cel4145 View Post
    I'd disagree with that. Perhaps I'm biased as are most people here, but I don't think there has been a really good multiplayer FPS sci-fi style shooter since UT2K4. So it's not that the market has changed so much or that people actually prefer military style shooters. There just hasn't been a new good release in the last few years for FPS except for military style.
    This still has to do with what the market will sustain. If Quake-style shooters were still the 'in' thing, then "Quake IV" would have done very well. But it didn't.

I don't want to get into psychology, but military shooters are popular in large part because there is a real war going on. Young males want to be a part of this experience even if in a purely virtual way. They can relate to this more because they are exposed to it every where they go (news; internet; school; work).

As a consequence, if the word gets out on UT3 and people try it, I think we'll find it to be a novelty that gamers will enjoy, particularly the younger teenage crowd who may not have any experience with a really good FPS like the UT series.
    This is why I said it will do better on consoles than the PC. Statistically speaking gamers older than 25 play on the PC (they can afford the hardware) and people under 25 play on consoles.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TPSFan View Post
    2) Gamers Tastes Have Changed

UT3 is a throwback to a dying genre of shooter. It is the last of the twitch reflex, DM, TDM, games of the late 1990s. This in turn makes it a smaller (niche) market of potential gamers.

I think UT3 will do better on consoles than PC because this kind of game is very new to console gamers compared to PC gamers. This is not an insult to console gamers. This is just fact if you compare the two platforms as evidenced by what the masses now prefer on each (PC players now prefer slower, more realistic military shooters to fast paced twitch shooters of the 90s).
    I'd disagree with that. Perhaps I'm biased as are most people here, but I don't think there has been a really good multiplayer FPS sci-fi style shooter since UT2K4. So it's not that the market has changed so much or that people actually prefer military style shooters. There just hasn't been a new good release in the last few years for FPS except for military style. As a consequence, if the word gets out on UT3 and people try it, I think we'll find it to be a novelty that gamers will enjoy, particularly the younger teenage crowd who may not have any experience with a really good FPS like the UT series.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X