No announcement yet.

How can Epic save UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic has released free expansion packs for UT, UT2k3, UT2k4 so it's reasonable to assume they will release at least one for UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by [Da]Stoneco|d View Post
      Do you really think they would offer a free bonus pack? If they actually do i might have more respect for that company.
      the first 2 maps for GOW were free. that said, short of giving everyone that bought ut3 their money back. just another shining example of epic pushing a game out way before its done to meet deadlines. i really feel sorry for the guys who didnt learn from gears of war that epic's quality of games is going down faster than either one of the spears sisters. GOW2 might be epics last chance to keep their good name intact...

Comment

Do you really think they would offer a free bonus pack? If they actually do i might have more respect for that company.
        Well let's see, they released one free bonus pack for Unreal, four for Unreal Tournament, two for UT2K3 and two for UT2K4 so, um yeah, they will offer a free bonus pack for UT3. Possibly more than one.

Comment

From my limited perspective the main thing contributing to UT3's current failure (relative term) is the fact it isn't just one main thing, or a few minor things. It's a whole Hell of a lot of various factors all added up that have been discussed, but bear repeating:

(in no particular order)

1) System Requirements

This game is no "Crysis", but it still has a relatively high hardware requirements if you want to run the game the way it was intended with smooth and playable frame rates.

2) Gamers Tastes Have Changed

UT3 is a throwback to a dying genre of shooter. It is the last of the twitch reflex, DM, TDM, games of the late 1990s. This in turn makes it a smaller (niche) market of potential gamers.

I think UT3 will do better on consoles than PC because this kind of game is very new to console gamers compared to PC gamers. This is not an insult to console gamers. This is just fact if you compare the two platforms as evidenced by what the masses now prefer on each (PC players now prefer slower, more realistic military shooters to fast paced twitch shooters of the 90s).

3) The Market for Video Games Itself Has Changed

This has to do with number two. It's a 3 billion dollar a year industry now. Compare this to eight years ago when UT99 was released. This is relevant to UT3's "failure" thus far because as stated, the majority of PC gamers who play FPS prefer the semi-realistic military shooters like COD4 and BF2. If a publisher/developer fails to deliver cater to this market they will not be competitive as a result.

The lack of marketing also ties in with this point.

Normally you don't see that many commercials or ads for PC games as the console is the platform for the masses. However, I have not see one single ad, print or TV, for UT3 -- That wasn't the PS3 version and even then they have been few and far between. Others have cited when discussing the game with their friends that the friends were amazed the game was even out, let alone a third version (2007) released.

4) UT3 was Not Finished Upon Release

This is obvious. From the unbalanced bot AI to the lack of missing features for PC users and online connection problems. This also has a lot to do with number three and the highly competitive industry that now exists. If a game is not as polished as it can be upon release gamers will move onto something that is. It's ironic you see so many unfinished games released, but not ironic when you check back three, or four months later and find out most of the player base has moved onto something else that is (was) more polished and just plain finished when it was released.

The UT3 SP/MP Demo directly ties into this point too.

If I did not like the Unreal series and know Epic has (had!) a good reputation for patching their games I would have no bought UT3 based purely on the demo. And a lot of people who aren't familiar with the series or Epic thought the same way and did NOT buy the game as a result.

Like I said, most of this has been discussed ad infinitum on this forum. But sometimes it's not as complicated as it might seem. Especially from a business perspective. UT3 just failed on three out of four (arbitrary) points compared to other recent releases.

Does this mean UT3 is salvageable?

Of course not. At least, not in my opinion. I have the game and like it a lot. But I'm just one gamer. And this is why I listed some of those points. UT3 failed to make a favorable impression for a significant amount potential players for one reason, or another. It is going to take some time and maybe UT2008 (UT3.5) to become popular again like UT2004 did for UT2003.

Comment

What you say is like make UT3 Ut2004 with no grapical quality increase... Why don't you play 04 then?

Comment

Of course. Every iteration of UT had at least 2 free bonuspacks.

Comment

Originally posted by TPSFan View Post
                2) Gamers Tastes Have Changed

UT3 is a throwback to a dying genre of shooter. It is the last of the twitch reflex, DM, TDM, games of the late 1990s. This in turn makes it a smaller (niche) market of potential gamers.

I think UT3 will do better on consoles than PC because this kind of game is very new to console gamers compared to PC gamers. This is not an insult to console gamers. This is just fact if you compare the two platforms as evidenced by what the masses now prefer on each (PC players now prefer slower, more realistic military shooters to fast paced twitch shooters of the 90s).
                I'd disagree with that. Perhaps I'm biased as are most people here, but I don't think there has been a really good multiplayer FPS sci-fi style shooter since UT2K4. So it's not that the market has changed so much or that people actually prefer military style shooters. There just hasn't been a new good release in the last few years for FPS except for military style. As a consequence, if the word gets out on UT3 and people try it, I think we'll find it to be a novelty that gamers will enjoy, particularly the younger teenage crowd who may not have any experience with a really good FPS like the UT series.

Comment

Originally posted by cel4145 View Post
                  I'd disagree with that. Perhaps I'm biased as are most people here, but I don't think there has been a really good multiplayer FPS sci-fi style shooter since UT2K4. So it's not that the market has changed so much or that people actually prefer military style shooters. There just hasn't been a new good release in the last few years for FPS except for military style.
                  This still has to do with what the market will sustain. If Quake-style shooters were still the 'in' thing, then "Quake IV" would have done very well. But it didn't.

I don't want to get into psychology, but military shooters are popular in large part because there is a real war going on. Young males want to be a part of this experience even if in a purely virtual way. They can relate to this more because they are exposed to it every where they go (news; internet; school; work).

As a consequence, if the word gets out on UT3 and people try it, I think we'll find it to be a novelty that gamers will enjoy, particularly the younger teenage crowd who may not have any experience with a really good FPS like the UT series.
                  This is why I said it will do better on consoles than the PC. Statistically speaking gamers older than 25 play on the PC (they can afford the hardware) and people under 25 play on consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by sltdestini View Post
                    Ye nice joke an all, but a lot of people including myself prefer to move onto the latest iteration of the game, in hope that all the community does to. If I dislike that, I'll find another new game under the spotlight.

Mind you if UT ends, I might just stop playing all together.

We're trying to get a community here, don't go encouraging people to go back to the other games ffs.
                    Then you missed my point, which was identical to "move onto the latest iteration of the game." If the OP doesn't want to play the latest iteration, then he shouldn't complain about it...just go play the game that he does want to play. He said he wants to play UT2004 and that's what I told him to do. If he wants to play UT3, then he should learn how to play Warfare, which, at worst, is as good as ONS...even though it is a different game: as intended.

Comment

I agree with a lot of points TPSfan makes, incidentally.

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
                      Of course. Every iteration of UT had at least 2 free bonuspacks.
                      Yeah if you want to break it down by generation:

Unreal Tournament - 4 bonus packs

Unreal Tournament 2 - 4 bonus packs (2 for 2k3, 2 for 2k4 which became the Mega Pack)

Unreal Tournament 3 - I think you know where I am going with this....

And naturally there have been thousands of maps and dozens of mods for each previous generation of UT.

Comment

Epic can't save UT3. Only the Lord Jesus Christ can. Our fate is in His hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnout View Post
                          ... We're screwed. Hand these things to Satan I say, he can save everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Arnout View Post
                            I woulden't be so quick to trust Jesus if i where you, that little runt stole my hubcaps!

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                              Epic has released free expansion packs for UT, UT2k3, UT2k4 so it's reasonable to assume they will release at least one for UT3.
                              I've enjoyed there past bonus packs.

But ya, if there NOT free, UT3 will be a dead game.

Comment

I think Epic needs to just keep doing what they are doing. Sure, the games have changed, the style the gameplay, and the feel. I hate reading complaints about how UT3 should be like "insert older version here." Is all you wanted really just a prettier version of the old game?

Comment

Working...
                                X