How can Epic save UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrCobra View Post
    The issue is also the people who have bought this game and has had it be/become very unstable. I have a quadcore system with 8 gigs of ram and an 8800GTX and there are times the UT3 plays like total ****. Constant errors and crashing of the game are also a very wide spread issue as well.
    Definitely true that people are having technical issues when running UT3. But I have read the Troubleshooting & Technology forum almost daily since the release while attempting to help people out. There are undoubtedly some issues caused by UT3 bugs. But a large percentage (I would guess the majority) are caused by either other software or hardware problems. For instance,
    • The GTX you have is one card that, for some people, does not run stable when using Nvidia beta drivers, but works fine with 163.75.
    • Bad audio and video drivers.
    • Factory overclocked cards which are overheating under the load of UT3. Overclocked systems which run fine under a synthetic test like Prime95 that can't run stable at the same settings with UT3's real world test.
    • Legacy driver conflicts with new one's that require a driver clean to work properly.
    • Bad memory. Bad PSU's.
    • Apps running in the background causing conflicts which require a clean boot to detect.
    • A user who has had poor FPS for a couple of weeks just discovered that his board had reset the PCI-E 16x bus down to 1x. Imagine trying to to figure that one out.

For those yet unsolved problems, who knows? Could as easily be UT3 as something else.

Comment

How to save UT? It doesn't need saving, but it could use improvements to help grow the user base. More maps would be a good start, also cleaning up the menu interface so its more like UT2k4 and less like a console game. Also fixing the server so it keeps out people using the aimbots and other cheats would be nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
        Fix a few stability issues, add a few features to the interface, and it is still the best FPS/DM game available.

Dam Straight!! UT3 definitely the BEST FPS/DM Game.

Comment

Have you played most other next-gen titles recently released?
          Actually I have. Those you mention I do not play because of the issues people are having. I was reluctant to purchase UT3 because of the quality of the demo, but figured that it was a rough demo and the game itself had to be better. I personally was sadly mistaken.

I'm not trying to slag off Epic or the software they make. I'm just giving my opinion as to what I've seen, played and experienced with this title.

I will stick with it and ride it out. Hopefully they can get it patched up to the level it should have been at release. One can hope, but one shouldn't hold one's breath either.

Comment

Interesting replies all around.

An important point I think people missed with my initial suggestion, was to add the ONS backward compatability to UT3 so the mod community could then add UT3 assets/elements into the ported ONS. This way the familiar could be mixed with the new as well of course having a instant huge base of ut2k4 maps, etc to play with. And as pointed out, we want to increase the player base for UT3 not split it between the two games.

Comment

Have you played most other next-gen titles recently released?
              Thats no excuse, and dont think for a second that i cut them any slack, infact i am making an exception here with UT3 because i love UT, and i so desperately want it to be great.
              And it can be, as i said, all it really needs is bugfixes, and basic stuff (stuff like beeing able to play on the Blue team in Bot matches, or setup bots on different teams, stuff that is clearly an oversight).

Also, i hope you are not adressing all thease UT2k4 whiner things at me, because i am an Unreal and UT99 guy, i love what UT3 is, it just desperately needs to be patched, and get the very basic options and variables that every UT game before it was born with (yes even 2k3, whilst it also shipped with very unfortunate oversights that had to be patched, it was never this lacking in basic options).

But my point stands, for the love of UT, please people, dont go out there on the net and start an unrealistic hype campaign that the game cannot live up to in its current form, you will only do this game and community a great disservice.

Comment

The only thing I cant enable reliably is OpenAl and Epic has already said Creative Labs is working on a fix.

All Unreal engines to date have been sensitive to high overclocking.
                I would run bot matches with allot of bots in UT2K4 and set score to 999 and unlimited time for DM. Let them run all night to root out memory errors. (The Source engine is as delicate but no bot match ability.)
                UT2K4 is better than using Prime95, Orthos, or Memtest. If you have over aggressive clocking, it will find it quickly.

Comment

Save_us.ut3

Comment

Originally posted by SetOfAllSets View Post
                    Find a way to support an "old school", backward compatible mode of ut2k4 ONS. If UE3 can support the import of old ONS maps (no increase in texture quality in necessary) with weapons, mutators, etc, a large fan base will be very happy. Once this happens, the prolific UT mod community would start adding bits of UT3 proper to the mix, making for one great creative melting pot of game play.
                    Wow exactly what I want. I want 2k4 ONS back and old Torlan. Spider Mine too.

Comment

This is funny stuff....; 2k4 a game that flopped on the heels of another disaster 2003 now the few fans that 2k4 did have want a mod to play that game on UT3 hilarious now where have we heard that before ??? Oh wait it was UT99 fans wanting a mod to play UT on 2k4..again LMAO.... first when you had all the different gamemodes on 2k4 no one played them end of story..if they are not played then i think Epic did the right thing by cutting off the flab.....we have Warfare, CTF, DM, VCTF,TDM duel, what more do you want????you better not say assault cause it had two chances and no one played it...the only mod from any of the game i can think of that Might..I say Might make it would be Domination from Ut99...folks this is UT3 it will never be any other game you might wish it to be so enjoy it for what it is...

Comment

not really sure ut3 needs saving, but ONS being excluded from the game types really surprised me.

Comment

UT is one of those series that gets better as it is out longer. No doubt we will start seeing free epic-created content, and user created.

Comment

I have only one idea at this point. Sell it on Steam and expect a lot more modders/mappers and players!

Comment

I would like to see more support for dx10 game play. Everyone is bashing MS for vista’s bad performance. If more people updated their pc we will not see the issues. Games can then take advantage of the new features. Not having to go back five years will be a plus for the pc.

Comment

Vista performs worse than XP regardless of how good your hardware is.

Comment

Working...
                                X