How can Epic save UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NitrousOxide View Post
    I think they should hire Mr. T and have him endorse UT3 in commercials.

After he frags someone, he can say "I pity the fool!"
    LOL...."I'm a Necris Mohawk!!"

Comment

Originally posted by cajunyankee View Post
      LOL...."I'm a Necris Mohawk!!"
      Voice: T. there is no such thing as a "Necris Mohawk".

T: Shut up fool!!

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
        The issue is that the people who liked UT2004 don't like UT3 for silly whiney reasons only and are bad-mouthing the game as much as they can all over the place. No doubt they are also telling as many people as they can that they don't like it, just to be stupid, which in the long run may hurt the community as a whole. And the bad-mouthing may also scare off lurkers who come and check the forums out prior to buying.
        I don't necessarily even think that their reasons are all that bad; often it is just personal preference. Others are disappointed in the polish of the game. But you are right about whining and complaining. It's one thing to evaluate the game in a mature manner, and talk about what you like or don't and make recommendations. It's another to bad mouth it in a juvenile manner.

And it definitely will hurt the larger community as a whole. If someone likes UT or UT2K4 better than UT3, those games are likely to gain players from newcomers who try UT3 and then want to try the legacy games. If someone truly believes those older versions are better, then they can count on some new Unreal franchise players transferring over to their favorite game.

Then there is the community perception issue. People have heard that this is a great community. Poor, negative attitudes will decrease that image and, as a consequence, not just slow UT3 sales, but hurt the entire franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum_Jason View Post
          This game can be "saved" very easily by adding all the missing features back into the game.
          What "missing" features? If you are referring to tweaks to things like the UI, then I agree, but that isn't a missing feature. Epic tweaked UT2004 in this way also.

Epic announced a long time ago what the feature set of UT3 was going to be regarding style, vehicles, game types, etc., they didn't say it was going to be UT2004 with new graphics. UT2004 wasn't UT99 with new graphics, so why should UT3 be UT2004 with new graphics. So for those people wanting the "bringing back of" things like the ShieldGun, DodgeJump, or the not as popular Assault, IMO they have no right to speak or demand this. It's a new game, it isn't UT2004.

The big problem is that this generation of people are brats and are too spoiled and just like to complain over anything inconsequential -- the "Paris Hilton" generation... 10 year olds whose stupid parents buy them cell phones and XBoxes and anything they want to shut them up.

Fix a few stability issues, add a few features to the interface, and it is still the best FPS/DM game available.

All we ever required was one thread here where gamers simply said, "hey Epic, it would be great if you guys could add X or Y to the interface", etc. And Epic being the gamer-oriented company they are, most likely would have done it. We don't need all of the continual thread-after-thread whining, which brings the game and the forums down.

Originally posted by cel4145 View Post
          I don't necessarily even think...
          I completely agree with your post.

Comment

First and foremost the game needs to be stable. I have plenty of issues with the quality at the moment, but stability and bug fixes come first. Personally, I could host games fine before the official patch. Now, after patching, I can no longer host, the patch broke something. Sad.

Comment

I like multiplayergames, but there is no game which plays in the same league like ut. Ut is the most fun game.

First of all I think Ut3 is not a step forward its a step back - in a good way. There are elements from UT99 and even Remakes of maps. Ok Deck 17 is in every version available (not from beginning). I was disappointed about it. Of course I like the maps also in the new versions but there were not enough new maps.
              I also like the customization-options of the player charakter. But there are not enough different fractions. Necris are OK but in the previous games they looked somehow better. And the robots don't look very good especially the torso of the robots looks very odd.
              But back to the maps. For example avalanche. You cant make a fair game when both sides don't have the same vehicles. Different Vehicles are good, but only if you play an assault map and the new scorpion is really uncool. Even the beetle from VW would look better in the game.
              I played the singleplayer campaign. The movies were awesome but the story was the worst story I ever played in a pc game. Unreal Tournament is a Tournament game and there should be a story which takes place in the tournament. I know UT is no single player game but hey respawner on a battlefield? There are not enough maps which look like battlefields. In the end the battle against the necris is just a tournament.

BUGS with patch ?
              Before the patch I was able to play multiplayer without any problems. Now, after the patch the game always crashes when I connect to a server.

All in all Epic made a good Alpha-version of this game and I am looking forward to the final release.

How to rescue the game?
              I think there is a lot to do for epic. But in the end the community will rescue it.

In the meantime there is still ut2004.

Comment

Regarding the OP's suggestion of importing or modding 2K4 ONS into UT3...that mod is simplicity itself to implement: find your UT2004 shortcut icon, right click on it, select "Rename" from the menu, type "UT3," press Enter, dbl click on the UT3 icon and play ONS.

Comment

Originally posted by {DvT}JonahHex View Post
                  Regarding the OP's suggestion of importing or modding 2K4 ONS into UT3...that mod is simplicity itself to implement: find your UT2004 shortcut icon, right click on it, select "Rename" from the menu, type "UT3," press Enter, dbl click on the UT3 icon and play ONS.
                  Ye nice joke an all, but a lot of people including myself prefer to move onto the latest iteration of the game, in hope that all the community does to. If I dislike that, I'll find another new game under the spotlight.

Mind you if UT ends, I might just stop playing all together.

We're trying to get a community here, don't go encouraging people to go back to the other games ffs.

Comment

I disagree.

I have a friend (his nic for UT3 should be something with JED in it, I don't play online much) who I showed UT3 as soon as I bought it
                    That is nowhere near the same now is it? you showed your freind the game, therefor he knew what he was getting, no chance of dissapointment involved.

But if you go on forums and try to sirr up a hype, whilst making no mention whatever of any potential flaws there may be.. i shoulden't even have to tell you what to expect, this very forum is chock full of the end result, i belive you referr to them as "bad-mouthing whiners".

By all means spread the word, but be honest, nobody ever won freinds (or new players, as the case may be) by lying or withholding the truth, as was suggested we should do.

And trust me, you wont be seeing any new players if they like me, cannot play the game for more than 5 minutes before it crashes to the desktop, hence i say wait for the patches before playing Mr. Marketing, first impressions are important, we should want to show people a good and solid UT3.

Comment

See my sigs for starters, then also a new community antenna and extra love for PC-gamers, "their bread and butter" -M. Rein (quote).

~Slokop

Comment

There are plenty of sites that review games and many more often than not give glowing reviews to average games anyway. (When they don't, you will get the Kane & Lynch fiasco.) If Midway isn't pushing to advertise the title then UT3 will have to move boxes on its own merits. The fact that UT3 was released in need of patches is a strike against it. The longer these patches take, the faster it falls of the consumer radar.

Statistically online forums are visited by few if any people who buy games. Most forum members consist of a vocal minority (pro or con on any title). Meaning that a very small percentage of average people buying games even know or care to visit forums, let alone register to join online forums about games to discuss them. When average Joe buys/installs game - if he can't find players servers online or the game performs poorly on his PC - he's not going to promote it to work or school mates.

Comment

I very seldom post. Ive been reading alot though and it makes me sick. Complains that are so retarted. Anyone around when 2k3 and 2k4 hit? Rember the complaints then. Same **** as now. When 2k3 hit ppl complained about adrenaline how it felt to much like a console shooter. How the characters looked. Servers where lagging. How much diffrent the game was from ut99. What happend? Epic came through. Ut3 is not 2k4. They in my eyes went back to more of a ut99 style which i think is good. Look at uts track record. Your all woried about epic leting us down. Well so far that hasnt happened in the past, I doubt itll happen now. Also so what if it also is on ps3? The more copies of ut3 that are sold either version is a good thing isnt it? Ut3 has its problems, so did every other Ut just give it time. The game will rock and be around for a long time.....

Comment

Don't anyone ever take anything personally in my posts, I never mean a personal flame to anyone, I try to simply address the common comments we see on here.

Originally posted by priest865 View Post
                            ... but there were not enough new maps.

But there are not enough different fractions.

For example avalanche. You cant make a fair game when both sides don't have the same vehicles. Different Vehicles are good, but only if you play an assault map ...

BUGS with patch ?
                            Before the patch I was able to play multiplayer without any problems. Now, after the patch the game always crashes when I connect to a server.
                            There is around 40 maps in UT3. Compare that to any other FPS like BF2142 or ET:QW where you get maybe around 8 maps. And Epic and the UT community always release many hundreds of maps over the game's lifetime. Just give this some time, it's only been out for about a month.
                            If 40 isn't enough for you, try one of the other games with only 8 maps to see how that feels after paying $50.

Again, there are more characters in UT3 than virtually any other next-gen FPS.

Sorry, I don't agree with your argument here.
                            In any war do both sides have the same vehicles and weapons? No.
                            In every other war or battle style video game do both sides have the same gear? No.
                            In WW2 did the germans and allies use the same ground, air and water vehicles? No.
                            All the way back through history, to which Samurai made the hardest steel sword to which caveman had the hardest wood club, the opponents did not always have the same weapons.
                            Would some caveman say that he wasn't going to fight with another because it was an unfair fight since one had a club made of birch and the other was made of maple??
                            Has my point been made yet?
                            Relating to UT, there has always been maps where there was some unique twist to the play. The issue today is that people don't want to spend the effort to try or learn something new, that takes energy, and all they want is instant gratification and to be patted on the back and told how l33t they are. All too often these days if a gamer is on a team that loses, they have to blame the game or something about it being unfair, just look in UT2004 ONS how many people would switch teams as soon as their side started to lose, no maturity at all. I stopped playing UT2004 ONS online a couple of years ago because of this, and it is one reason why I don't play a lot of UT3 online, I prefer to play it at LAN parties instead, where the maturity level is higher and people are there simply for some fun.
                            Personally I think that having two sets of vehicles is a great idea and I am glad that Epic took the time to do this. It allows us as gamers and as mappers to create a much wider variety of maps that are more exciting, such as all Necris vehicles, all Axis vehicles, or Necris versus Axis. This also gives UT gamers a wider variety of map styles and game play styles. Most other battle games have two sets of vehicles, so why should UT stay limited to only one?

On the PC platform there are literally thousands of different hardware and software configurations, and Epic has no way to test on every conceivable system and for every conceivable issue, no software company can, that is why we see bugs in OS's and everything else. So I would expect a minimum of 10 to 20% of people are going to have one issue or another. Fixing it is what patches are for. And Epic has always been really good on providing this. As a comparison one of the other games I have is BF2142, and it is still as flakey and unstable as the first release version. Epic has fixed a pile of issues in a patch released just weeks after the game. With a brand new engine and new game, there will be a few bumps in the beginning.

Originally posted by Grobut View Post
                            That is nowhere near the same now is it? you showed your freind the game, therefor he knew what he was getting, no chance of dissapointment involved.

But if you go on forums and try to sirr up a hype, whilst making no mention whatever of any potential flaws there may be.. i shoulden't even have to tell you what to expect, this very forum is chock full of the end result, i belive you referr to them as "bad-mouthing whiners".
                            You may wish to ask for clarification before you post false assumptions on things.

I emailed him links to the game screenshots on BU and a few other sites. And we spent at most five minutes at my place one night before watching a video, where I quickly launched about four or five maps in IA and quickly ran or hoverboarded around for thirty seconds. I did not play any online, I did not play any bot matches, etc. He was blown away by the graphics and look of the maps, and I told him that it had the similar play to the previous UT games but was more UT99/Q3A solid in player control. He has played UT99 and UT2004 years ago. He now absolutely loves UT3.

What he saw is the same online screenshots that any other gamer has access to, and what he got to see live was less than if he had downloaded the beta demo.

So your comment is unfounded, sorry.

The only potential flaws are that there are some issues with specific hardware setups, but show me any game that doesn't have that... BF2142, ET:QW, BioShock, etc. Go to their forums and see similar issues with crashes and such. At least I am confident in Epic to actually spend the time and have the knowledge to fix this in future patches for those people experiencing issues. I have purchased two copies of UT3 for myself (regular and CE) since I have a LAN and want it installed on multiple systems, and I haven't had a single issue with the game.
                            Most of the rest of the comments are whining, some people don't like the interface, some people don't like the server browser, and I agree they need some tweaking, but they hardly make the game unplayable. If you listen to the people complain about the server browser, you'd think that they were dieing a slow painful death.
                            And the people whining that UT3 is not UT2004 and doesn't have the same weapons/vehicles/movement IMO have no basis at all for their complaint -- it's not UT2004, its a new game. I don't know how many times we have to state this fact. I didn't expect Enemy Territory: Quake Wars to be Quake 3 or Quake 4, just because it had the same name in the game title -- and I didn't go to their forums and trash them and say the game was garbage because it doesn't play like Quake 3 and doesn't have the same maps and weapons. Epic never stated from the very beginning that UT2007/UT3 would be UT2004 with new graphics, so don't expect it to be that.

Comment

IThe issue is that the people who liked UT2004 don't like UT3 for silly whiney reasons only and are bad-mouthing the game as much as they can all over the place. No doubt they are also telling as many people as they can that they don't like it, just to be stupid, which in the long run may hurt the community as a whole. And the bad-mouthing may also scare off lurkers who come and check the forums out prior to buying.
                              The issue is also the people who have bought this game and has had it be/become very unstable. I have a quadcore system with 8 gigs of ram and an 8800GTX and there are times the UT3 plays like total ****. Constant errors and crashing of the game are also a very wide spread issue as well.

Those things being said, if someone as me if I like the game, I tell them yes, but that there are tons of issues with it. I also tell them of what those issues are. I wouldn't tell someone that it's the greatest and they should rush out to buy it. I rushed to buy it only to find that I bought a damned BETA.

People pay money for things that work solidly and correctly. The game does neither. It doesn't matter that there will be more patches to come. The state that this game was released in is what caused that damage you speak of.

First impressions are the most important. Demo was very badly done. The retail copy came out and sad to say, it wasn't much better.

If UT3 takes a hit in sales or popularity it isn't Epic's or Midway's or UT'3 fault, it is the bad-mouthing whiners who are slamming the game to everyone they can
                              How can lost sales or popularity by releasing this game way too early, not be Epic's fault?

There are bugs to fix and more patches that need to be released. Most of the bugs in the game shouldn't have made it to production. How can you or anyone else justify releasing a major online game when for the majority of the people that bought it can't even get online with it or have problems staying there? I suppose Epic is no longer responsible for anything that is wrong with this game/engine?

Comment

Originally posted by MrCobra View Post
                                The issue is ...
                                Have you played most other next-gen titles recently released?

Of all of the gamers that I know personally, there are more people having issues with other games such as BF2142 and BioShock than with UT3. Not one of the gamers I hang with that has a number of the current titles has any issue with UT3 other than perhaps their system is not up to snuff to run it max'ed out.

I never stated that the game doesn't have issues on some setups, in fact I said the opposite. I did state that Epic is known for fixing this.
                                But for all of the gamers that I know personally, and all of the titles that they/we are playing, UT3 is not the game that they are having problems with.

Comment

Working...
                                X