How can Epic save UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can Epic save UT3?

After initially being disappointed with the PC release, patch 1.1 and logging some play time have convinced me that UT3 PC is indeed a diamond in the rough. The game definitely has the foundation to be great.

So what can Epic do to turn this thing around?

My 2 cents:

Find a way to support an "old school", backward compatible mode of ut2k4 ONS. If UE3 can support the import of old ONS maps (no increase in texture quality in necessary) with weapons, mutators, etc, a large fan base will be very happy. Once this happens, the prolific UT mod community would start adding bits of UT3 proper to the mix, making for one great creative melting pot of game play.

Remember that one winning evolutionary strategy to insure the survival of a species is to mix-up that gene pool, baby!

Originally posted by SetOfAllSets View Post
    After initially being disappointed with the PC release, patch 1.1 and logging some play time have convinced me that UT3 PC is indeed a diamond in the rough. The game definitely has the foundation to be great.

So what can Epic do to turn this thing around?

My 2 cents:

Find a way to support an "old school", backward compatible mode of ut2k4 ONS. If UE3 can support the import of old ONS maps (no increase in texture quality in necessary) with weapons, mutators, etc, a large fan base will be very happy. Once this happens, the prolific UT mod community would start adding bits of UT3 proper to the mix, making for one great creative melting pot of game play.

Remember that one winning evolutionary strategy to insure the survival of a species is to mix-up that gene pool, baby!
    If I've undestood well, you're asking for an "UT2k4 mode for UT3". If I'm right, I'm definitely vote for this one.

Comment

Sure it wont take long to see the old maps redone for UT3, mutator out the orb and there you go.

We already have Torlan.

Problem is that the game has had bad press, it's buggy, and the the loyal fans have switched to the plethora of other good MP games

Comment

You get points for thinking outside of the box. But why would all those loyal ONS players jump at the opportunity to pay an extra $60 just to play the exact same thing that they play now?

Comment

I think they should hire Mr. T and have him endorse UT3 in commercials.

After he frags someone, he can say "I pity the fool!"

Comment

My two cents, when epic starts pumping out bonus packs the idea of UT3 being "saved" will be a long forgotten idea for people will be too busy fragging each other.

You know im going to see if I can get myself telefragged.

Comment

Backwards compatible ONS mode won't save this game, sorry. Theres a whole lot of fixing to do and solidifying of the core gametypes first before working on something like that. I think the mod community will make quick work of bringning back ONS anyhow.

Comment

The game doesen't need to be "saved", it just needs to be patched.

The only thing UT3 strictly needs to become a great game is stabillity (bugfixes), and the menu options back that we all thought would be there (because they allways have been in UT games), when we get that, everything else will just be iceing on the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Grobut View Post
                  People said the same thing about Quake 4, and look what happened. Maybe you don't understand how the word saved applies to game longevity.

Comment

Originally posted by Grobut View Post

The only thing UT3 strictly needs to become a great game is stabillity (bugfixes), and the menu options back that we all thought would be there (because they allways have been in UT games), when we get that, everything else will just be iceing on the cake.
                    Yeah, it needs more options. But even if they fix that, it'll sill have no "new" gamemodes, and less gamemodes total to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by xi0s View Post
                      People said the same thing about Quake 4, and look what happened. Maybe you don't understand how the word saved applies to game longevity.
                      No i do, and i do know what happened to Q4, but it is not an apt comparison.

Q4 was mediocre singleplayer game with en even more mediocre and small MP component, on an engine that nobody was exactly thrilled to work with, it didn't have a prayer.

UT3 is actually a good game with a future, its just broken and needs to be fixed, and recive that last layer of spit shine we expected from it (options, mainly).

I know it looks gloom right now, but trust me, countless people out there are like me, waiting for the game to be fixed so we can enjoy it, once that happens things will pick up again, i realize we are probably in for a slow start, because the release was so botched, but when fixed, the word will spread that the game is now good and worth the money.

The only thing that could possibly ruin it is if Epic pulls the plug, and dosen't fix the game, but i doubt that will happen.

Comment

Trying to turn UT3 into UT2004 will kill it.. I wouldn't play it.

Comment

Instead of downloadable navigation for tom tom, he could have his own taunt package for UT3! Great idea oxide.

Comment

crossplatform, up the graphics on ut2k4 majorly.

Comment

Originally posted by NitrousOxide View Post
                              I think they should hire Mr. T and have him endorse UT3 in commercials.

After he frags someone, he can say "I pity the fool!"
                              Post of the Day!

Comment

Working...
                              X