Add another bug to the list....redeemer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add another bug to the list....redeemer

I'm really starting to understand all the negative posts because more and more i am quitting in the middle of a game because i get so frocking irritated, yesterday i learned about the alt fire redeemer trick......fly by wire or whatever it's called. I really dig this way of using it. But i find that if i fire while even remotely near any structure it explodes on me and i die. Sometimes as often as 3 or 4 times in a row. And i'm talking even REMOTLY close to anything. If i fire so that the missile is say what would be 30 or 40 feet away from the nearest solid object yet aimed straight up into the sky, the missile explodes upon triggering it. Not every time, but way way too much to even be useful.I pretty much have to be out in the middle of a open feild no where near anything to be safe from my own friggin weapon !

A second super irritating thing about it, tho not a bug but some programming stupidity is that i would say the majority of the time the enemy vehicle you go after shoots it down. I mean, come on ! How often would they be able to shoot down a projectile even if it is rather slow? according to the person who coded this aspect of the game it would apparently be about 75%. What a joke.

This game is so full of bugs and imbalance i'm beginning to feel like all the others who are complaining rabidly. I quit tonite because i was sick of all the stupidity i witnessed. I'm really getting burned out on UT3. I played 2004 happily from the beginning all the way to UT3. Do they call this progress? I'm beginning to think epic kept putting the release date off not because they were trying to make it perfect, but because they were kicking back relaxing while they had monkeys doing all the work. Then again, i can't imagine moneys being so inept.

you could shoot down the demer on 2k4 as well.

are you triggering the explosion by pressing left click while flying it around a map?

also, heres a tip for ya when flying the demer to kill a vehicle, don't fly it into it head on. If you know where it is try to demer it from the side or back where it cant see it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by iknowjohnny View Post
      I'm really starting to understand all the negative posts because more and more i am quitting in the middle of a game because i get so frocking irritated, yesterday i learned about the alt fire redeemer trick......fly by wire or whatever it's called. I really dig this way of using it. But i find that if i fire while even remotely near any structure it explodes on me and i die. Sometimes as often as 3 or 4 times in a row. And i'm talking even REMOTLY close to anything. If i fire so that the missile is say what would be 30 or 40 feet away from the nearest solid object yet aimed straight up into the sky, the missile explodes upon triggering it. Not every time, but way way too much to even be useful.I pretty much have to be out in the middle of a open feild no where near anything to be safe from my own friggin weapon !

A second super irritating thing about it, tho not a bug but some programming stupidity is that i would say the majority of the time the enemy vehicle you go after shoots it down. I mean, come on ! How often would they be able to shoot down a projectile even if it is rather slow? according to the person who coded this aspect of the game it would apparently be about 75%. What a joke.
      Using the redeemer can be tricky because it will explode on collision volumes. In some maps, like VCTF-Corruption, there are lots of collision models even where they needn't be -- Like above the pagoda structures. Most of them are needed though, to prevent people from getting into otherwise unreachable places and exploiting the game.

Solution: Fly the redeemer through normally passable areas of the map, or use direct fire (primary).

That depends on the player count. I could probably shoot it down 75% of the time if I was always aware when a redeemer was incoming. Bots do have superhuman awareness, it's unavoidable.

Comment

you could shoot down the demer on 2k4 as well
        I used it in 2004, tho it worked differently which is why i didn't realize it in UT3 till now. But yes, it could be shot down but rarely was, at least i don't recall that being a common occurance. Surely not 3 out of 4 times.

are you triggering the explosion by pressing right click while flying it around a map?
        No, i just hit alt fire and fly it into them. i suppose i could avoid them hitting it occasionally by exploding it 30 feet from them. But they usually kill it way before that. If i detonate it more than 30 feet i doubt it would kill a darkwalker or tank. Gotta be pretty close to those.

also, heres a tip for ya when flying the demer to kill a vehicle, don't fly it into it head on. If you know where it is try to demer it from the side or back where it cant see it coming
        I already tried that and it does help sometimes. but even with that tactic i was getting kind of losses i quoted.

Using the redeemer can be tricky because it will explode on collision volumes. In some maps, like VCTF-Corruption, there are lots of collision models even where they needn't be -- Like above the pagoda structures. Most of them are needed though, to prevent people from getting into otherwise unreachable places and exploiting the game.

Solution: Fly the redeemer through normally passable areas of the map, or use direct fire (primary).
        Hmm...i think i get what collision models are, but the fact is that it only does this when i fire it. Why doesn't it happen if i fly the thing thru the same area that i had previously fired it from and it exploded? In other words, say i fire it from a area near the base and it detonates immediatly killing me. But when i am successful in firing it and guide it to the enemy base thru the same area where it apparenly hit a collision model in my base, why didn't it explode before it hit my target? I have yet to have that happen as far as i know, because i either get a "denied" meaning it was shot down, or i get a kill meaning i hit the target, which i already knew anyways from the camera veiw.

Comment

The Redeemer is fine and does not need to be fixed. If it's frustrating you so much, then don't use it, it's not like it's a ubiquitous problem. And if it is a big problem for you, well then maybe you should quit camping the deemer.

Comment

never seen any problems with the deemer at all.

You have to fly like you are having a seizure if you don't want it to be shot down. Flying in a straight line will get it shot down 99% of the time.

Comment

The fact that people are telling you this means that you're probably the only one experiencing this and calling it a "bug" or a "step back".

The redeemer always works as expected and is no different from the weapon in 2k4. A weapon like this ought to be shot down, an unstoppable missle that destroys nodes/any vehicle is way unbalanced.

Comment

I've never seen this problem, but the redeemer will also explode if you die while piloting it. It would be easy to mistake that for it exploding in your face.

Comment

Originally posted by iknowjohnny View Post
                  ...Surely not 3 out of 4 times...
                  I used to play on a UT2004 ONS server that had a lot of extra Redeemers. The players there were all so good at shooting them down that the only way you could hope to use it was to go on a suicide bombing run, straight to the target and firing it at your feet. If there was even the slightest chance of shooting it down, a combo or minigun would do it.

Comment

I know what he's talking about. Like shooting the deemer out a window...looks like you have a clear shot but it espodes in your face. Or in Sandstorm, on the platform where the deemer spawns. If your too close to the rocks you go poof.
                    I would'nt call this a bug, just need to be more carefull where you shoot that bad boy off.

Comment

There are plenty of pointless invisible-walls on various maps that may be your primary issue but tbh you don't do your argument's credibility any favours with your second point...Going after vehicles with a redeemer ?...They're node killers, any other use is not only likely doomed to failure but is also very poor tactical use of the weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by AtomicWedgie View Post
                        I know what he's talking about. Like shooting the deemer out a window...looks like you have a clear shot but it espodes in your face. Or in Sandstorm, on the platform where the deemer spawns. If your too close to the rocks you go poof.
                        I would'nt call this a bug, just need to be more carefull where you shoot that bad boy off.
                        Same thing with DM-Sanctuary. Grab the deemer and run behind a pillar next to its spawn. Peek out, fire and explode yourself all over the platform.
                        Not really a bug, just a collision oversight. They apparently didn't take into consideration all the places in the map that obsessive deemer campers tend to hide and fire it from. Now I admit I used to camp (or should I say, timegrab) the deemer in UT99 (especially the strangelove variation) but I find the superweapon isn't so "super" anymore as I'm now much more likely to kill myself with it than get a megakill as in days past.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimodian View Post
                          There are plenty of pointless invisible-walls on various maps that may be your primary issue but tbh you don't do your argument's credibility any favours with your second point...Going after vehicles with a redeemer ?...They're node killers, any other use is not only likely doomed to failure but is also very poor tactical use of the weapon.
                          Not all redeemers and vehicles are in WAR, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRingHalo View Post
                            Same thing with DM-Sanctuary. Grab the deemer and run behind a pillar next to its spawn. Peek out, fire and explode yourself all over the platform.
                            Not really a bug, just a collision oversight. They apparently didn't take into consideration all the places in the map that obsessive deemer campers tend to hide and fire it from.
                            IIRC, the collision volumes for the columns in that area are octagonal. At the vertices of the octagon there is a bit of invisible space that will be blocked off -- Just don't try to fire it with such little clearance and you'll be fine.

Comment

Ok, let me make this clear to all thos who think i'm shooting it out of a window or some such scenario where i'm in a very enclosed place. Are you familiar with torlan? well, heres an example of a place where i die 3 times out of 4 while shooting in a FREE AND CLEAR area ! You know the platform thats tghe closest one to the base with a armor and health pickup under it, a raptor, and 2 weapon racks? well, standing up on top of that platform free an clear of anything, i can fire up into the sky and it detonates the instant i pull the trigger 3 out or 4 times even with no enemies in sight. I even tried it on a deserted map (0 bots) and it happens. maybe it's not a bug with the game. maybe it's a mutator, i don't know. But i haven't removed them to see and i'd rather lose this feature than have to lose all the muts i use. But i'm just telling you that it IS doing this whether or not anyone else experienced it. as to the other thing concerning the missile getting shot down most of the time, thats irritating because the freakin vehicles are too fast and accurte in all ways, not just this. The balance of the game is horribly off in this regard and many here already have agreed. In 2004 my redeemers rarely were shot down by the way. they did a complete 180 for UT3.

Comment

Working...
                              X