UT3 on PS3 is fantastic! Epic delivers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 on PS3 is fantastic! Epic delivers.

This is the first Unreal game I have played for more than just a couple hours although I've been well aware of the reputation of Unreal and Epic for many years. Unreal games are old-chool hardcore twitch shooters, always have been and hopefully always will be. Although the game was released Tuesday, I waited until Sunday to buy this game just to read some reviews on the game. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad port for PS3 like The Orange Box was. Several reviews came in positive so I took the plunge. This game is much more than I expected! My first impressions after a couple nights of playing are that graphics, sound, gameplay, replay value, are all perfect 10's.

Now let me say that I've been playing multiplayer FPS for a looong time with the big players being Goldeneye 64, MOH:AA, Call of Duty easily playing those games for thousands of hours each. I'm not exagerating with those numbers. I once played MOH:AA for 32 hours straight.

But a few years ago I got extremely bored with FPS.

I got tired of the cheating and constant accusations of cheating.

I couldn't afford a better computer to play the newer games competitively, and even when I had the money it wasn't worth the effort of upgrading and tweaking just to stay ahead of the curve.

I was sick and guilt-ridden of making fun and games of real wars where real people died.

I got bored of archaic control schemes either thumbsticks and mouse/keyboards controls. All multiplayer FPS in this day and age should use a light gun especially those games that proclaim to be "realistic". It's starting to feel like playing Guitar Hero without the guitar. The technology has been there since Duck Hunt, lol. It's time for devs to start taking it seriously and using it.

Don't get me wrong I had loads of fun while it lasted, but in the end I just felt burnt out. I tried Battlefield, HL2, Halo, Call of Duty 4 etc... and got bored really quick.

So along came UT3...

Several things about the PS3 version of UT3 got me really pumped up. Epic promised mouse and keyboard support and delivered. Sure most people have a preference for either, but at least the choice is there. When I get bored with thumbsticks I'll use my m&k and when I'm bored with my m&k I'll use my thumbsticks. Sure it doesn't look like it supports bluetooth right now, but what self respecting FPS gamer would use a wireless keyboard anyway.

Mod support for a console? God bless you Epic, Midway, and the modding community themselves of course for making this happen.

And although it hasn't been confirmed yet the idea of cross-platform play has always intrigued me. Players of multiplayer FPS prefer the largest communities possible, and it seems like the Unreal community is getting spread a little thin across 3 game systems.

Last but not least. This game is on a console. Consoles have a huge advantage over PC's in that more emphasis is placed on skill, since there is more of an even playing field. Not withstanding internet connection, TV model, and skill of course everyone is equal.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my purchase and believe I've found a new home for my multiplayer FPS cravings. This is probably my last hurrah on multiplayer FPS with thumbsticks and m&k, and should last me a couple years until the killer light gun FPS I've been dreaming of finally comes out. See you in game!

I was initially put off by the game, but after playing it for a few hours, i'm enjoying the hell out of it.

The main issue i have is the vehicle handling doesn't feel polished.

Comment

Welcome to the Unreal Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by theBishop View Post
        I was initially put off by the game, but after playing it for a few hours, i'm enjoying the hell out of it.

The main issue i have is the vehicle handling doesn't feel polished.
        Took me a while to get used to the vehicles, too. The airborne vehicles seem natural because they control very much like the planes in Warhawk, but the ground vehicles can feel unresponsive at times depending on their size. I just kept practicing with them and have gotten a bit better.

Comment

Could you post links to your forums ?

Comment

I agree with you, it's an awesome game and it's surprising that it's so complete on a console. All other UT's on consoles have sucked.

Now if only they could fix the problem with the Warfare mode where on the official servers they only let you play one map. I now hate that map.

Comment

Would be a lot better if there was better mic support, actual mod support, and a party system so you and your friends could be on the same teams every now and then.

Comment

Once you've played Unreal Tournament you realise that if you want to play an FPS, it should be this!

Comment

I agree that cross-platform (properly done) is the glue needed to hold the UT3 community together and give it a chance to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by leukoplast View Post
                    Would be a lot better if there was better mic support, actual mod support, and a party system so you and your friends could be on the same teams every now and then.
                    def agree with that . thats basicly the main thing they need for the online play to be crisp.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                      I agree that cross-platform (properly done) is the glue needed to hold the UT3 community together and give it a chance to grow.
                      QFT

See my sig

Comment

EVGA 8800GT 256MB? I didn't know they made 8800GT's with lower than 512 megs of ram?

Comment

UT3 isn't perfect (it feels rushed) but its incredibly fun...This is by far the best FPS game i have played to date on the PS3...I own both COD4 and Resistance, which are both very good games but neither seem to satisfy my FPS thirst like UT3...I guess im more of an unreal type of guy...

If Epic can fix the bugs, give the browser more options, add clan support, splitscreen (this has to be added, come on Epic) and cross-platform play this game will truly be "godlike"...

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                            it would certainly help, thats for sure. Even if it was just for lan i know people who would buy it just for that.

As for the ps3 version being awesome, i totally agree. i even used a crazy adverb(?) like totally

Comment

Working...
                            X