Is UT3 (PC) Too "Hardcore?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how can it be too hardcore?

ut will never be as popular as cod because noobs get owned to quickly in ut. i'm not being mean, its true. ut was always the cream of the crop. its a shame people don't follow through

Comment

Of course it's too hardcore. A shooter's popularity is inversely proportional to its "hardcore-ness". I'd rather have UT3 be half as hardcore and twice as popular.

Years and years of popular non-hardcore shooters have reduced the UT series to a niche product and, besides adding vehicles and console support, Epic has not made any attempt to change that. And why would they? They can always sell Gears of War to the non-hardcore market.

Comment

Originally posted by Drintion View Post
        UT3 feels too much like a console game to be considered "hardcore" in contrast to older iterations of the series...

But in comparison with other console games it does appear to be that way ><
        UT3 is **** close in gameplay to UT99, so I'm not sure what you mean here. UT2k4 had quite different gameplay mechanics IMO.

Comment

I must say that I really like UT3. I play UT since 99. I tried UT2Kx for a couple weeks / months but didn't like the feel of it. Those 30-yard-jumps were just ridiculous, there was no room for good old infights, it was very aim-dependable.

UT3 feels very much like the original. Finally it's another worthy action-shooter that I might stick to. But it appears that the majority of players are not used to action-shooters and are not willing to adept. Most shooters are like CS or CoD: you have very slow movement without special moves like dodging etc, plus you only have pistols, rifles, machineguns or grenades. Besides grenades, these are all instant-hit-weapons that work exactly the same way. There is no variation. Personally I find these games for multiplayer completely boring. Also it encourages camping and apart from map-knowledge and aiming there is little room for improvement.

But obviously the vast majorioy only knows and plays this kind of game. It seems to difficult for them, to learn different weapons (with secondary fire modes) and movement. They don't seem to have the patience to learn something new and/or are frustrated when they get crushed by the veterans the first couple times they play it . So they return to CoD/CSS where even noobs can score a couple frags to feel happy about...

It's very sad, hopefully at least a "hard core" of players stick to UT3, cause other than that there is no action-shooter really alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
            Of course it's too hardcore. A shooter's popularity is inversely proportional to its "hardcore-ness". I'd rather have UT3 be half as hardcore and twice as popular.
            It's a tough balancing act. I'd hate to see UT dumbed down. I just think it needs more features or gameplay modes or something like that, which could appeal to less experienced and less ambitious players.

Years and years of popular non-hardcore shooters have reduced the UT series to a niche product and, besides adding vehicles and console support, Epic has not made any attempt to change that. And why would they? They can always sell Gears of War to the non-hardcore market.
            That seems to be a trend in gaming across all genres, unfortunately

Comment

I find the game far more easier to play than UT2004. Now that the movement is much more limited and heavy, predicting is no way near as difficult.

As for it's popularity, I think it's the lack of content and annoying UI which is putting most people off. I forget how empty UT3 is in comparison to UT2004 until I actually get on and play it. That's not just talking about game modes, it's talking about options.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix86 View Post
                Definately the push towards realism heightens the awareness of killing. If Unreal had the thigns you said about calling kills and deaths something else, it would be rated perhaps T, but it still glorifies the gore (which i enjoy..) and is rated M which is not appropriate for younger children in my opinion
                I used to turn off the gore and mature taunts in UT2K3/4 for my son. I haven't checked yet if you can do that in UT3, but he's older now and the taunts have calmed down a little, so I'm not as concerned.

As for the rating systems, well, those are intended so that parents who do not review the game themselves and are not providing guidance in the child's use and interpretation of the game can safely choose content for their children. It's context driven. There are many things in this world which children are not prepared to handle alone but can with adult supervision and guidance, and some children handle some situations better than others. A game will communicate one message to a child when the child is left by themselves to interpret it on their own. That interpretation can be changed with a parent's guidance and participation and can act as a learning experience in which the child is better able to process similar situations on their own in the future.

Comment

elegantly stated

Comment

I love that post! *bookmarked*

Comment

Working...
                    X