Is UT3 (PC) Too "Hardcore?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is UT3 (PC) Too "Hardcore?"

I'm just wondering if maybe its popularity, or lack thereof, has anything to do with being geared towards longtime vets of the series, without a lot of thought to casuals and newbies.

I don't even mean people who play all games casually, so much as those who are casual about this game. For example, I've been a longtime fan of the series, I started with the original Unreal, then UT, and UT2004 - but haven't actually played UT2004 since, well, 2004. It was a great game, but I still got bored of it after a few months.

So, when I started UT3, I was horrible at it. Despite my previous experience, just horrible, it was pretty sad. After a month of playing, I'm about so-so average, now. Still, not all that encouraging, considering that I don't plan on keeping at it, practicing diligently for months to come. I'll find something else to play, before I ever really get good at this. Just the kind of gamer I am, but we're still talking hundreds of hours, and it not being enough.

So, I'm wondering, what about all the people who don't even have the previous experience that I do. Or people who game more casually, in general, than I do. The gamespeed alone took some serious getting used to. And then there's all the tricks to using different weapons and vehicles. Do you even remember trying to do shock combos for the first time, back when the game was less crazy? I'm guessing the learning curve is quite a bit steeper now.

Was I doing just as bad as these complete n00bs, or are they doing even worse, giving UT3 a shot? That's gotta be discouraging. Not like, "suck it up, and learn to play" discouraging, but more like, "screw this, I'm just gonna play something else," discouraging.

Aside from those annoying helper arrows, it seems to me that the devs were thinking so much about people who've been playing their games for years, they didn't give much thought to the much larger audience of potential new players required for the game to really flourish.

It's a much more involved and skill requiring game, while the mainstream has moved on to slower and simpler games, you need to be quite hardcore to enjoy UT3.

Comment

UT3 feels too much like a console game to be considered "hardcore" in contrast to older iterations of the series...

But in comparison with other console games it does appear to be that way ><

Comment

Hardcore? Lets just say that I get twitchy after a DM in UT3.

Comment

Hardcore probably isn't the best word to use, but I was trying to be succinct

Comment

some people learnt quite fast some mechanism of this game. as there are hardcore fans who play it a lot. *whisle* even though UT3 has been released recently there's already a big gap between new purchaser and people playing from release date.
            for the shock rifle i still remember my first shock combo good old shock combo does still work but i have to agree that it's become harder to place.
            try to spec a lot. and watch for the orb carrier if you are playing warfare. few things like that that can make things less hardcore for you ^^

Comment

hell if anything i think it feel slower than 2k4

Comment

Originally posted by NitrousOxide View Post
                Hardcore? Lets just say that I get twitchy after a DM in UT3.
                Yeah. I felt that same UT3 twitchiness tonight while watching some of the intense fight scenes in Bourne Ultimatum and thought," Hey, that's UT3 speed."

Comment

YES, and I love it.

Comment

Actually for me this version is much harder than UT2K4 ... I got good at that within a couple of months I was playing at Godlike but I can't ever see that happening with this game. These bots are seriously hardcore ... man they are much more aggressive than the ones in UT2K4 and they aim waayyy better ... heck playing UT3 on skilled is equivalent to playing UT2K4 on inhuman. I don't play as much as I used to so lately I've been playing on Masterful and I can abuse the bots in UT04 so I know what I am saying. I don't know what it is that makes them so hard ... maybe it is just their amazing aim coupled with the fact the weapons do more damage and there is no longer any adrenaline so you can't give yourself health booster to stay alive longer.

Comment

I have been playing Unreal Tournament since ut2k3 and I feel that this installment is much more novice friendly then that game or ut2k4. The dodges seem to go noticeably shorter this time around, the character models are easier to see and the weapons are devastating. I also find the jumping in general to be much less floaty and lower.

In my opinion Epic has got the game play down pat I just wish they where given more time to bug test and give us a user interface like ut2k4 was. I have always sucked at this series but even though I am still getting my *** handed to me I am enjoying this game far more then the previous ones. Come on Epic get those bugs worked out and give us PC gamers a good PC interface!

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
                      Actually for me this version is much harder than UT2K4 ... I got good at that within a couple of months I was playing at Godlike but I can't ever see that happening with this game. These bots are seriously hardcore ... man they are much more aggressive than the ones in UT2K4 and they aim waayyy better ... heck playing UT3 on skilled is equivalent to playing UT2K4 on inhuman. I don't play as much as I used to so lately I've been playing on Masterful and I can abuse the bots in UT04 so I know what I am saying. I don't know what it is that makes them so hard ... maybe it is just their amazing aim coupled with the fact the weapons do more damage and there is no longer any adrenaline so you can't give yourself health booster to stay alive longer.
                      Keep practicing and you will find a way to beat them, also keep in mind Epic may nerf the bots in future patches. You can also try the game online I prefer playing against people since their aim isn't always near perfect.

Comment

^^ I actually already have a way to beat them in UT3 ... it's called lowering the settings and then opening a serious can of whup ***! And I am strictly an Instant Action player .. I'll let the youngsters play online and curse at eachother.

Comment

Even if it is "slower than 2k4" I still think it's probably too hardcore for the masses. I'm not a big UT fan but I love UT3. I see people complaining that the game's not very when they just suck at it. I've played with them, they consistently only muster 4 kills in a TDM, and they complain that the gameplay is no good.

Comment

Originally posted by Drintion View Post
                            UT3 feels too much like a console game to be considered "hardcore" in contrast to older iterations of the series...
                            All the UT games excluding UT1s gameplay were designed to fit in some way on the console(I'm looking at you UT2k3).

Comment

The problem is that the game is stuck between two target audiences and misses them both completely...

Pros for Newbies:
                              *Cinematic campaign leads to more complete offline experience
                              *Increased weapon damage leads to easier kills
                              *Removal of dodge jump makes movement slightly easier to learn
                              *Weapons and levels designed to be more realistic and aid suspension of disbelief
                              *Menus made easier to navigate
                              *Console versions added

Cons for Newbies:
                              *Bot AI very buggy
                              *Core gameplay still faster than most games
                              *Weapon options can still be overwhelming at first
                              *Skill level of existing playerbase makes playing online more difficult
                              *Lack of match-making forces newbies to play with experienced players
                              *Enhanced voice command system for bots not implemented

Pros for Pros:
                              *Core gameplay is still the same
                              *Experience transfers over to new version
                              *Models are more visible
                              *Duel mode added

Cons for Pros:
                              *Duel mode and demo playback barely work
                              *Essential competitive mutators left out
                              *Essential server tools either broken or left out
                              *Numerous GUI options removed
                              *Directional sound system is FUBAR
                              *Stock maps based around concepts and not game balance

I just threw those out there off the top of my head. Some of those points could be argued and some are genuine bugs, but a lot of them are design decisions. EPIC has tried to keep UT true to it's roots to appeal to long-term fans while simultaneously attracting new players, but instead has frustrated it's fans while simultaneously bewildering new players. Hopefully a few patches can change that, but the damage has already been done in terms of lost sales.

Comment

Working...
                              X