Assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I now believe Assault was take out because of time limit. They have way too much stuff to do. basic stuff like fixing the server browser.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ultron View Post
    Epic has released three types of retail releases...
    This is a good way of looking at it. But I still think that the chips have fallen. If the community wants Assault so badly for Ut3, they'll have to do it themselves.

With other gametypes already having dev teams to bring them back, its telling that nobody has claimed Assault as a project. When the rubber hits the development road, Invasion and Mutant have a stronger following than Assault, it seems.

I'd also be interested to hear what makes Assault so unique that the Kismet system and Warfare can't replicate it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I predict by thanksgiving/christmas someone might actually give a dam about what ultron says. goodluck ultron we are all with you

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I remember RoAR and unfortunately it was DOA in UT3 in the online scene, and once wind of AS coming in UT2k4, I think that was essentially the last straw in it's development, and efforts later went into making AS maps of that day for AS in UT2k3. It wasn't the only mod for 2k3 that came out and bombed, but I was personally surprised it didn't fly, given the hype and community support for it.

But then we knew how hard it was to make unexploitable AS maps, especially given the split mentality of the AS community. One side was pro-exploit and the other side was against them. 2k4 AS was essentially designed to minimize it, if not prevent it entirely. But even so maps still had to be more carefully built, and often larger and/or outdoors, given the high speed and varied movement options. And scripting objectives were more an issue in AS than in other gametypes where you either just fragged opponents or stole their flags, or took over a control point. You had to do things that essentially put AS maps in the same league as scripted single player/cooperative maps in terms of sophistication.

I will say this, however. The new visual scripting tool will probably be a boon to AS mappers, and I'm sure we'll see some interesting ones at some point.

-

I want go back and elaborate on what I've discussed previously in this thread, and in others. Epic has released three types of retail releases.

1) The first edition release. Unreal. UT2k3. UT3 (usually the first of each engine generation)

2) The new version release. UT. UT2k4. (usually the product of so many good changes it becomes it's own full-fledged title)

3) The updated version release. Unreal Gold. UT GOTY. UT2k4 ECE. (usually the product of significant patching and content upgrades)

Basically I see Epic coming out with either a type 2 or 3 release by next Thanksgiving/Christmas - not a type 1 release. I don't see a next-gen engine release. I don't see a completely new title with different assets. I see UT3 is the building block for what's to come, and I think Epic could either just re-release UT3 with more patches and some additional maps, mutators and characters and call that UT3 Gold. Or they could release a new title with all that but additional gametypes and a new campaign, and that would become something else. And this product would be given the same treatment that brought us the original UT and UT2k4, and likewise the high praise those two games brought to the Unreal series. I think in this new retail release there is probably room for Assault as a gametype there.

Here's my official prediction: I'd look for Unreal Warfare out next year, with an extended campaign (basically extra chapters beyond what we see in UT3 now), more gametypes, more maps, more mutators, more characters and armor, and and I suspect there will be a lot of effort by Epic to make even more new WAR maps in that release. I think this will be Epic's last hoorah for the Unreal series, before they move onto a new game series title. And it'll also be a 10 year anniversary for the Unreal series, so I suspect it'll be amazing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I see a grim future for Assault. The community that is so vocal about it's absence doesn't seem to be nearly as energetic in supporting its presence. In 2k3, the Roar team put together an Assault mod, and it went exactly nowhere. No maps. No servers. The AS community from UT99, so loud in their protests, lifted not a finger to help the mod that had recreated it for them in 2k3.

Enter 2k4. Epic brings back Assault, and the community greets it (rightfully, in my opinion), with a collective yawn. The initial surge of excitement wears thin quickly, and Assault is easily overthrown by Race and Skill maps, which aren't, in my view, the point of the gametype. The community tried to make some maps, but the feedback threads tended to be so bitter and negative that very few were ever polished to a playable level. The gametype was crippled by a mapping system that made Assault maps about ten times more time consuming to make, and for what? So the online AS community could insult you, and your map could, perhaps, get onto one of the exactly zero mission-based (non-race or trial map) servers? The mappers who might have served AS'04 took a pass.

Now comes Warfare, with a system (Kismet) both more powerful, flexible, and extensive than anything given to mappers before, easily able to create mission-based maps, and people who want mission-based gameplay won't accept it because it doesn't bear the AS name.

If people want to re-create a gametype with such a spotty past, knock yourself out. But Epic has done their job with Warfare, and if people want to re-create the wheel, and ignore the potential of Kismet and Warfare, then go right ahead. Nobody will stop you. But Assault as it existed in Ut99 will never come back, not really.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Totally forgot about this thread.

Originally posted by sparxxx View Post
    I think its fair to say that Assault would be a welcome return, warefare doesnt really cut the mustard.
    I'd like to see AS, too, but Warfare is still fun for me. I'm a CTF guy first, however.

Originally posted by sltdestini View Post
    Ultron if you still want to argue about absolutely nothin then do it in PM plz.
    I've already said what I've needed to. Thanks for the offer, however. You should follow you own advice in the future, too.

Originally posted by Dankss View Post
    yeah ultron shut up, no one gives a dam about your negative views save it for PM and stop brining down AS. Oh and epic give us what we want Assault or something offcial to work with to create Assault. Not this bull**** warfare half hash ****
    Well you're hardly intelligible here, and you've clearly not read what I've said. I like AS, I played it for years, between UT and UT2k4. I'm not bringing down AS. But thanks for not trying.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yeah ultron shut up, no one gives a dam about your negative views save it for PM and stop brining down AS. Oh and epic give us what we want Assault or something offcial to work with to create Assault. Not this bull**** warfare half hash ****

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ultron if you still want to argue about absolutely nothin then do it in PM plz.

Originally posted by H0neyBe4r View Post
    Hi!
    I never played any deathmatch shooters, since it seemed boring to me. I started online gaming with Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory, because I liked the objective driven gameplay, and now moved on to ET:Quake Wars. I was thinking about getting UT3 though, because I would like now to try a fast deathmatch shooter. I didn´t know much about the missing gamemodes from UT2004, but curious as I am I downloaded the demo and tried assault and bombing run. I was very surprised that assault played similar to ET in stopwatch mode, and can understand now why many players seem to miss it. I would buy UT3 immediately (well, as soon as I get a 8800 GT at least), if assault was added, at least as extra gamemode, so maps could be added as custom content.

Edit: Just ordered UT2004 for seven bucks, so I can play assault there in the meantime. But I will gladly pay 50 bucks for UT3, as soon as it has assault...
    Very true, I think it added a whole different level to the game in the sense that it was just less linear.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi!
    I never played any deathmatch shooters, since it seemed boring to me. I started online gaming with Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory, because I liked the objective driven gameplay, and now moved on to ET:Quake Wars. I was thinking about getting UT3 though, because I would like now to try a fast deathmatch shooter. I didn´t know much about the missing gamemodes from UT2004, but curious as I am I downloaded the demo and tried assault and bombing run. I was very surprised that assault played similar to ET in stopwatch mode, and can understand now why many players seem to miss it. I would buy UT3 immediately (well, as soon as I get a 8800 GT at least), if assault was added, at least as extra gamemode, so maps could be added as custom content.

Edit: Just ordered UT2004 for seven bucks, so I can play assault there in the meantime. But I will gladly pay 50 bucks for UT3, as soon as it has assault...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think its fair to say that Assault would be a welcome return, warefare doesnt really cut the mustard.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by sltdestini View Post
    If you take offence so easily then it's understandable. The patronising only began because you made so many **** posts of repeating yourself that someone needed to step in otherwise you'd probably never stop. As for the account issues, I recieved an apology in my inbox since the thread was more than constructive, thus more or less terminating your agument. If you want to argue this further, do it in PM, this thread is for discussing AS.
    I've been discussing AS. You're the one that's been sidetracking my discussions on it. And I don't take offence easily. I think you're so caught up in trying to pin some sort of anti-Assault reasoning to me you're just overlooking the fact I am just making observations about the gametype, and Epic's reasoning for not including it now, as well as mentioning it might be supported later on down the line in something like a UT3.5.

All you have to do, Destini, is respect other people's opinions. Browbeating them because you don't agree with them, isn't neccessary. Your first words to me were "You're not listening" - and from then on it's been nothing but that from you. Agree to disagree and leave it at that. You don't have to make it so personal.

Now, if Epic somehow supports and AS gametype in the next few months, or before some UT3.5 type title comes out - that's fantastic. But it's easy for a talented modder to work on AS with or without the benefit of Epic's direct support. The whole issue of vCTF and it's support from Epic in UT2k4, it's because back when UT2k3 was out, mappers and modders were already working on a vCTF gametype, and maps for it. They didn't wait for UT2k4 to come out, they had been asking for it in UT2k3.

We knew that UT2k4 was going to involve vehicular gametypes like Onslaught and Assault. So we had asked for there to be a vehicular CTF gametype since mixing a TL and a vehicle didn't really mix, and we found out they were going to support the gametype, if not work on maps for it. That's why since day 1 if you had UT2k4, if you had a vCTF map, that gametype would suddenly show up in the server browser. It's not because people waited until UT2k4 to come out to start.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i just want the invasion gametype finished and polished first, then the rpg folk can have their way with it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by upNsmokeISaGOD View Post
    Much rather see invasion come back with the rpg mod to go with it.That is still played alot in ut2k4.

Reported mate

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Much rather see invasion come back with the rpg mod to go with it.That is still played alot in ut2k4.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you take offence so easily then it's understandable. The patronising only began because you made so many **** posts of repeating yourself that someone needed to step in otherwise you'd probably never stop. As for the account issues, I recieved an apology in my inbox since the thread was more than constructive, thus more or less terminating your agument.

If you want to argue this further, do it in PM, this thread is for discussing AS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X