No announcement yet.

Assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"If you had UT2k4, and any vCTF maps in your map folder, a new gametype would show up in the UT2k4 menu for vCTF. Furthermore, once Epic's 3355 patch came out, that gametype was visible by default, even if you did not have any vCTF maps whatsoever. So even though Epic didn't make any maps for the gametype, they supported the gametype in UT2k4. You can read the 3355 patch notes if you don't believe me."

if this is true you really need to read the other assault threads becasue destini already suggested that idea to epic about assault. Stop being a pretenious **** and pretending you know stuff, you cleary dont mate. You know hardly anyting about assault so please reframe from speaking further on the subject, spread your depressing psots elsewhere. We want assault back we dont need to hear your pointless viewpoint as to why you think it wont come back. Go make your own thread and debate all you want, you never know someone might beleave your intellectual rather than a failing life.

Comment

Despite the fact you're probably in the 40s, and thus probably double my age, sigh... don't bother trying to pull off the patronising act.

What is the point of you posting here?

You think we arn't working on AS? You think you're helping us by sitting here arguing with us whilst we're having a side shot at asking a small boost from Epic?

Get a life ffs... we've already started making a map which is shaping up to look pretty sweet, you've sat here telling Epic that they shouldn't bother with AS, and that they should leave it to the community.

There are people working on an AS mod, but there's no harm in us asking for a few objective example actors etc from Epic, all you've done is just fill these threads with negatives. We KNOW that a lot of the mode depends on us, but there's no harm in having a shot and getting help from the officials whilst people work on it.

If you're trying to help, then stop, you've already filled this thread and others with pages upon pages of your own attempt at trying to spin a constructive argument, you're too deeply into things, mate.

Comment

Yea, major comeback! 4 servers! 1 that almost looks full, 1 with 14 bots showing up as players and the other two across the country! Giant comeback!

Comment

Destini, you're _still_ misrepresenting what I'm doing and saying. All I said in the beginning were things like this:

"Keep in mind I want there to be an AS gametype, I'm just reluctant to recommend Epic do the work to get it going. IMRO, they'll probably release a new version of UT3 next year with a bunch of content updates and more polish so it's possible more gametypes could come then. But I think it's unreasonable to expect the AS community to sit and do nothing on the off-chance Epic will bring back AS a year from now. That's exactly why I recommend the AS community get behind third party developers to bring that experience back."

Then you start patronizing me, telling me I'm "not listening", telling me I'm "losing my case" and telling my I am somehow magically making your arguements for you, etc. So yeah, complain that I'm trying to "pull off a patronizing act" when you're the one who started this whole mess, is a completely disingenuous. It's this sort of activity from you that got you banned last time.

Comment

If you take offence so easily then it's understandable. The patronising only began because you made so many **** posts of repeating yourself that someone needed to step in otherwise you'd probably never stop. As for the account issues, I recieved an apology in my inbox since the thread was more than constructive, thus more or less terminating your agument.

If you want to argue this further, do it in PM, this thread is for discussing AS.

Comment

Much rather see invasion come back with the rpg mod to go with it.That is still played alot in ut2k4.

Comment

Originally posted by upNsmokeISaGOD View Post
                Much rather see invasion come back with the rpg mod to go with it.That is still played alot in ut2k4.

Reported mate

Comment

i just want the invasion gametype finished and polished first, then the rpg folk can have their way with it

Comment

Originally posted by sltdestini View Post
                    If you take offence so easily then it's understandable. The patronising only began because you made so many **** posts of repeating yourself that someone needed to step in otherwise you'd probably never stop. As for the account issues, I recieved an apology in my inbox since the thread was more than constructive, thus more or less terminating your agument. If you want to argue this further, do it in PM, this thread is for discussing AS.
                    I've been discussing AS. You're the one that's been sidetracking my discussions on it. And I don't take offence easily. I think you're so caught up in trying to pin some sort of anti-Assault reasoning to me you're just overlooking the fact I am just making observations about the gametype, and Epic's reasoning for not including it now, as well as mentioning it might be supported later on down the line in something like a UT3.5.

All you have to do, Destini, is respect other people's opinions. Browbeating them because you don't agree with them, isn't neccessary. Your first words to me were "You're not listening" - and from then on it's been nothing but that from you. Agree to disagree and leave it at that. You don't have to make it so personal.

Now, if Epic somehow supports and AS gametype in the next few months, or before some UT3.5 type title comes out - that's fantastic. But it's easy for a talented modder to work on AS with or without the benefit of Epic's direct support. The whole issue of vCTF and it's support from Epic in UT2k4, it's because back when UT2k3 was out, mappers and modders were already working on a vCTF gametype, and maps for it. They didn't wait for UT2k4 to come out, they had been asking for it in UT2k3.

We knew that UT2k4 was going to involve vehicular gametypes like Onslaught and Assault. So we had asked for there to be a vehicular CTF gametype since mixing a TL and a vehicle didn't really mix, and we found out they were going to support the gametype, if not work on maps for it. That's why since day 1 if you had UT2k4, if you had a vCTF map, that gametype would suddenly show up in the server browser. It's not because people waited until UT2k4 to come out to start.

Comment

I think its fair to say that Assault would be a welcome return, warefare doesnt really cut the mustard.

Comment

Hi!
                        I never played any deathmatch shooters, since it seemed boring to me. I started online gaming with Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory, because I liked the objective driven gameplay, and now moved on to ET:Quake Wars. I was thinking about getting UT3 though, because I would like now to try a fast deathmatch shooter. I didn´t know much about the missing gamemodes from UT2004, but curious as I am I downloaded the demo and tried assault and bombing run. I was very surprised that assault played similar to ET in stopwatch mode, and can understand now why many players seem to miss it. I would buy UT3 immediately (well, as soon as I get a 8800 GT at least), if assault was added, at least as extra gamemode, so maps could be added as custom content.

Edit: Just ordered UT2004 for seven bucks, so I can play assault there in the meantime. But I will gladly pay 50 bucks for UT3, as soon as it has assault...

Comment

Ultron if you still want to argue about absolutely nothin then do it in PM plz.

Originally posted by H0neyBe4r View Post
                          Hi!
                          I never played any deathmatch shooters, since it seemed boring to me. I started online gaming with Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory, because I liked the objective driven gameplay, and now moved on to ET:Quake Wars. I was thinking about getting UT3 though, because I would like now to try a fast deathmatch shooter. I didn´t know much about the missing gamemodes from UT2004, but curious as I am I downloaded the demo and tried assault and bombing run. I was very surprised that assault played similar to ET in stopwatch mode, and can understand now why many players seem to miss it. I would buy UT3 immediately (well, as soon as I get a 8800 GT at least), if assault was added, at least as extra gamemode, so maps could be added as custom content.

Edit: Just ordered UT2004 for seven bucks, so I can play assault there in the meantime. But I will gladly pay 50 bucks for UT3, as soon as it has assault...
                          Very true, I think it added a whole different level to the game in the sense that it was just less linear.

Comment

yeah ultron shut up, no one gives a dam about your negative views save it for PM and stop brining down AS. Oh and epic give us what we want Assault or something offcial to work with to create Assault. Not this bull**** warfare half hash ****

Comment

Totally forgot about this thread.

Originally posted by sparxxx View Post
                              I think its fair to say that Assault would be a welcome return, warefare doesnt really cut the mustard.
                              I'd like to see AS, too, but Warfare is still fun for me. I'm a CTF guy first, however.

Originally posted by sltdestini View Post
                              Ultron if you still want to argue about absolutely nothin then do it in PM plz.
                              I've already said what I've needed to. Thanks for the offer, however. You should follow you own advice in the future, too.

Originally posted by Dankss View Post
                              yeah ultron shut up, no one gives a dam about your negative views save it for PM and stop brining down AS. Oh and epic give us what we want Assault or something offcial to work with to create Assault. Not this bull**** warfare half hash ****
                              Well you're hardly intelligible here, and you've clearly not read what I've said. I like AS, I played it for years, between UT and UT2k4. I'm not bringing down AS. But thanks for not trying.

Comment

I see a grim future for Assault. The community that is so vocal about it's absence doesn't seem to be nearly as energetic in supporting its presence. In 2k3, the Roar team put together an Assault mod, and it went exactly nowhere. No maps. No servers. The AS community from UT99, so loud in their protests, lifted not a finger to help the mod that had recreated it for them in 2k3.

Enter 2k4. Epic brings back Assault, and the community greets it (rightfully, in my opinion), with a collective yawn. The initial surge of excitement wears thin quickly, and Assault is easily overthrown by Race and Skill maps, which aren't, in my view, the point of the gametype. The community tried to make some maps, but the feedback threads tended to be so bitter and negative that very few were ever polished to a playable level. The gametype was crippled by a mapping system that made Assault maps about ten times more time consuming to make, and for what? So the online AS community could insult you, and your map could, perhaps, get onto one of the exactly zero mission-based (non-race or trial map) servers? The mappers who might have served AS'04 took a pass.

Now comes Warfare, with a system (Kismet) both more powerful, flexible, and extensive than anything given to mappers before, easily able to create mission-based maps, and people who want mission-based gameplay won't accept it because it doesn't bear the AS name.

If people want to re-create a gametype with such a spotty past, knock yourself out. But Epic has done their job with Warfare, and if people want to re-create the wheel, and ignore the potential of Kismet and Warfare, then go right ahead. Nobody will stop you. But Assault as it existed in Ut99 will never come back, not really.

Comment

Working...
                                X