No announcement yet.

Assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just checked ni the UT2k4 server browser and yeah it's better now, proportionally, than it was when I played it between 2004 and 2005. I don't know why. Either a) it had a resurgence, maybe because of those race maps or b) everyone else just plummeted to similar levels.

Comment

Asssaullltttttt

Comment

If you counted the retail assault, trial assault and race assault together it was even the 2nd most popular gametype last year right behind tam.

Comment

I miss AS Will be installing 2k4 and 99 again after I reformat UT3 off of it. Danks, we need to pug

Comment

Originally posted by aston12 View Post
            If you counted the retail assault, trial assault and race assault together it was even the 2nd most popular gametype last year right behind tam.

If that is true, then that's an amazing comeback. It was nigh dead when I quit playing.

Keep in mind I want there to be an AS gametype, I'm just reluctant to recommend Epic do the work to get it going.

IMRO, they'll probably release a new version of UT3 next year with a bunch of content updates and more polish so it's possible more gametypes could come then. But I think it's unreasonable to expect the AS community to sit and do nothing on the off-chance Epic will bring back AS a year from now.

That's exactly why I recommend the AS community get behind third party developers to bring that experience back.

Comment

Your not listening Ultron. Most of us don't want them to spend months making AS maps, we just want the mode seperated so we can make the maps ourselves in the editor, and not publish them as WF maps (which is going to get incredably messy and confusing).

Since EPIC made Kismet, and they've stated themselves many times it's easy to convert WF maps into AS, then there's no excuse as to why they can't just seperate the modes, and it wouldn't take them long to do.

Comment

You're the one not listening. Epic is not going to do that. I don't know how many times to tell you that, before it sinks in. But that's not my department. If you don't want to get it, you won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                  You're the one not listening. Epic is not going to do that. I don't know how many times to tell you that, before it sinks in. But that's not my department. If you don't want to get it, you won't.
                  And why wouldn't they? Considering it so easy and so little time consuming to do so? Considering they did the same thing with vCTF in UT2004?

You're clearly losing your case, that was an incredably empty counter argument.

Comment

Originally posted by sltdestini View Post
                    And why wouldn't they? Considering it so easy and so little time consuming to do so? Considering they did the same thing with vCTF in UT2004?
                    But they didn't do it in UT2k3, did they? No, of course not. But they did in UT2k4. That's my point, Destini. That Epic might make new gametypes in some future upgrade like UT3.5 or UT3 Special Edition, but not before then.

I said this in my first post:

"they'll probably release a new version of UT3 next year with a bunch of content updates and more polish so it's possible more gametypes could come then"

And naturally you gloss over that. But you admit that they created a new gametype in UT2k4 - thank you.

You're clearly losing your case, that was an incredably empty counter argument.
                    You're too busy "not getting it" to listen to what I'm saying, Destini.

And hey, get this. UT2k3 didn't have Assault, either. It was released with UT2k4.

Comment

Both of you shut up.

I know who Destini is and where he played, who did u play for Ultron, i don't recognize the name.

As for the AS community, the competitive side is happy to support any modders, unfortunately, all the modders seem more interested in doing trials and race maps.

Competitive AS has been dead for a year btw.

Comment

Epic has spoken on this issue before gametypes that were not getting played or were not popular were getting cut (and why not) assault is one of them sorry ...it is not a good business practice to spend a ton of money on a gametype then have only a small percentage of people play it .. again sorry..

Comment

Originally posted by tehlostone View Post
                          Both of you shut up.
                          That's not for you to decide.

I know who Destini is and where he played, who did u play for Ultron, i don't recognize the name.
                          That's irrelevant. I've been here since Unreal in 1998. Like it matters to me that you've don't know me.

As for the AS community, the competitive side is happy to support any modders, unfortunately, all the modders seem more interested in doing trials and race maps.
                          There's already a BR mod in the works. The same thing can happen for AS. And I would hate to think the only thing that's popular about AS are trials and race maps.

Competitive AS has been dead for a year btw.
                          Better watch out, you'll probably be lynched here for suggesting any part of AS isn't popular or being played.

Personally, I liked AS. I played it in UT and UT2k4. But it wasn't that popular overall, and from what I gather the only thing that's kept it alive the last couple years were race maps. Clearly I'm not the only one to notice AS's issues. You have. Epic has. Epic just decided not to bring a version to UT3. Certainly not at this time.

I believe it's possible Epic might release a new version of UT3 a year from now. Just as previous versions of Unreal titles have had revised versions come out for them. When those things occured new gametypes were created then. Even vCTF came out in UT2k4, not UT2k3, because of this.

Comment

1) That's not for you to decide.

2) That's irrelevant. I've been here since Unreal in 1998. Like it matters to me that you've don't know me.

3) There's already a BR mod in the works. The same thing can happen for AS. And I would hate to think the only thing that's popular about AS are trials and race maps.

4) Better watch out, you'll probably be lynched here for suggesting any part of AS isn't popular or being played.

5) Personally, I liked AS. I played it in UT and UT2k4. But it wasn't that popular overall, and from what I gather the only thing that's kept it alive the last couple years were race maps. Clearly I'm not the only one to notice AS's issues. You have. Epic has. Epic just decided not to bring a version to UT3. Certainly not at this time.

I believe it's possible Epic might release a new version of UT3 a year from now. Just as previous versions of Unreal titles have had revised versions come out for them. When those things occured new gametypes were created then. Even vCTF came out in UT2k4, not UT2k3, because of this.
                            1) That was said with sarcasm, forgot the smiley

2) Good for you, want a cookie for that? I will get myself one to since I also played U1. I have also been a part of the NA competitive hub since it was founded. It was a simple question just wondering if you played for a good teams, don't get your panties in a twist over it.

3) No, just not many coders left that want real Assault. The good coders and mappers never came to 2k4 AS because they felt it was to nerfed. All that is left of 2k4 AS is the **** that also killed it.

4) I think that Danks or Destini attacking me would be pretty bad as I have pwned SLT in the past (much <3 Danks). I know better than most what is going on in competitive Assault, i admined TWL AS and helped in the Dry Lobster leagues.

5) 2k4 AS had many flaws, i am a fan of later era 99 AS but was still happy with 2k4. Personally, i would not want Epic to do Assault EVER again without the team that originally did AS in 99.

In the end I am split though, i want AS but I don't think there are any coders that would listen to the competitive community on how it should be played, and that is there choice of course, but i also don't want another nerfed Epic version.

Comment

But they didn't do it in UT2k3, did they? No, of course not. But they did in UT2k4. .

"they'll probably release a new version of UT3 next year with a bunch of content updates and more polish so it's possible more gametypes could come then"
                              I would come back with a large constructive argument, I really would, if you hadn't given it for me.

vCTF did not come with UT2004, it was implemented with community maps because of requests. Yes, the exact same case as here.

I think the point you were going for was that AS would be added in UT3.5?

Well for a starters I highly doubt we'll see one, and for seconds, that contradicts your argument, vCTF did not come with UT2004.

The only other angle your argument could be coming from, is that there needs to be a second game ontop of this one first, and then a bunch of requests on top of that in order to get the mode. You rely on the past too much, Epic would rather make quick fixes for the game.

Comment

I would come back with a large constructive argument, I really would, if you hadn't given it for me.
                                Well you've unwittingly argued all my points for me, and let's be honest, you've yet to be constructive here.

vCTF did not come with UT2004, it was implemented with community maps because of requests. Yes, the exact same case as here.
                                Incorrect. Allow me to educate you. Again.

If you had UT2k4, and any vCTF maps in your map folder, a new gametype would show up in the UT2k4 menu for vCTF. Furthermore, once Epic's 3355 patch came out, that gametype was visible by default, even if you did not have any vCTF maps whatsoever. So even though Epic didn't make any maps for the gametype, they supported the gametype in UT2k4. You can read the 3355 patch notes if you don't believe me.

I think the point you were going for was that AS would be added in UT3.5?
                                It's the point I made, yes. And if Epic doesn't create the maps, they might at least support the gametype as they did with vCTF for UT2k4.

Well for a starters I highly doubt we'll see one, and for seconds, that contradicts your argument, vCTF did not come with UT2004.
                                Wrong. As demonstrated above, Epic supported vCTF but they did not make any maps for it in UT2k4. Isn't that what you are asking Epic to do now?

Destini: "Most of us don't want them to spend months making AS maps, we just want the mode seperated so we can make the maps ourselves in the editor"

You want the mode separated, like Epic did with UT2k4, even if they don't make makes for it, right?

The only other angle your argument could be coming from, is that there needs to be a second game ontop of this one first, and then a bunch of requests on top of that in order to get the mode. You rely on the past too much, Epic would rather make quick fixes for the game.
                                You're perhaps finally getting it. I am saying we will probably not see Assault for UT3 _from Epic_ unless there is another version of UT3 that comes out, my guess is a year from now.

This why I tell people to, you know, work on Assault now. That's constructive. Because even if Epic themselves don't create the maps, they might support the gametype in the future, most likely in a similar manner as they have done in the past. Worst case, and they don't, then at least the third party community will have created AS for everyone else to play.

Comment

Working...
                                X