Changing Player Name from 'player'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Player Name from 'player'

I bought two copies of UT3, and I'm playing it on a LAN, but I don't have Internet access on these computers. How do I change the player name without logging into an account? Am I not seeing a menu option, or do I need to edit INI files? Thanks in advance for any help.

edit ini

Comment

ini, or type "setname (name)" in the console when you enter a map

Comment

Originally posted by Cleary View Post
        edit ini
        Originally posted by Archon3 View Post
        ini, or type "setname (name)" in the console when you enter a map
        Thanks. I'm in "...\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config", but which INI file(s) do I need to edit?

Comment

Im not 2 sure myself... I never had 2 edit an ini file, coz i used the profile i made with the beta demo. Im not sure if it would work, but try backing up the configs u edit, and find (cntrl+f) all the "player" lines in the files and change the word "player" 2 ur name. As i said..i have no idea if it would work.. But thats all i can think off..

Comment

I would like to know this also.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleary View Post
              edit ini
              I've gone through and edited all instances of 'player' in all the INI files, but that has done no good. Is there anything else I can try?

Comment

I'm going to guess your looking for this:

[DefaultPlayer]
                Name=Player

Its found in the UTGame.ini file.

Comment

Originally posted by Reverse View Post
                  I'm going to guess your looking for this:

[DefaultPlayer]
                  Name=Player

Its found in the UTGame.ini file.
                  Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, that was the first one I tried editing, but with no luck.

Comment

I also tried that with the demo. I'm not sure if your name saves with the patch, even if ONLY playing offline..
                    I made a profile with the demo and use the same one with the full game. Know any buddies where you could install demo -> make profile -> then take that? I hope that its possible to change your player name in game in the next patch.

Comment

I am also experiencing this problem:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=593058

Could the issues be related?

Comment

I'm also experiencing that problem. However, i don't see how it could be tied to not having a profile, as both players - myself and my friend - had a profile. Playing LAN did the same thing for us. We see Mr. Demo man. Weird bug i reckon. Even with the "allow custom characters", it was still there.

Comment

This "you must be online to play offlline" thing is really stupid, can someone tell me one single positive feature that has come from building gamespy into the game?

Comment

In south africa, internet is 4 the super rich. Normal people have dial up here. Internet gaming is out here. Gamespy = **** *for me* bcz i dont have internet. I had 2 pull strings and get a profile made 4 me with the demo at a friend.. But 2 the point. I dont c why they (epic) didnt put the same thing. Gamespy, in the multiplayer tab only. Not 2 log in and play offline. Its B.S.

Comment

I found a friend with the full UT3 whose name does appear in the game, and I tried copying his profile (everything in ...\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\). I then went through and changed all instances of his name to my name, but my name still shows up as player. Is there anything else I can try?

Comment

Working...
                              X