No announcement yet.

Are there any n00b servers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you have to just find something or someplace you are comfortable with. try playing in servers with 6-8 people (as said above). that should give you enough room to work on your skills.

also try doing bot matches. i do 2 things to practice maps. first i go into a bot match with 0 bots. and just work my way around to figure out the map, all the quirks and different movement paths. then i'll work on it in a bot match with maybe 4 or 5 bots, not really difficult and just kinda get used to it that way. then you at least have some sort of idea how to react in the server against people who know what they are doing. then have fun

Comment

Originally posted by F3NR!5 View Post

Are there other people out there that feel like i do?
      You're not the only person who feels this way. I personally don't belong on noob servers, but I definitely understand why we need them and wish there were a way for players to sift servers by skill level.

The really good players--the elite pro players--don't want to play on noob servers anyway and tend to play on designated and sometimes passworded pro community servers.

In my experience, there will always be some good players at the very top of the scoreboard, often on both teams. Hopefully there's a nice distribution of skill levels on each team so it balances out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
        If you have the patch, Quickmatch takes into account your ranking so you could try using that to find servers with a more appropriate skill level.
        Huh? This is the first I've heard of that. Can you set it up so that it will try to find a skill-appropriate server by game type?

Comment

One more piece of advice:

It takes a while to get good at this game; it does have a learning curve. Also, consider playing team games like CTF and Warfare--games where you can try to make contributions (and have fun doing it) that aren't all frag based. That way you have something to do while you improve your skill and learn the game.

In Warfare you can make a nice living by merely building up power nodes, shooting enemy nodes, and repairing your own nodes. You can also try to become an orb runner (and practice your elusive movement and dodging skills).

In CTF, start out by playing defense--your team really needs defense. The nice thing about CTF is that players will often be distracted with trying to grab and run your flag, which makes it a little easier to surprise them with a shock combo when they enter a bottleneck area. Also, nice thing about defense is that when you die, you can get back into the action quickly. You died! Grab a shock rifle (or your weapon of choice) and head back over to your flag. Practice hiding in corners and "shock camping" the flag using shock combos.

Comment

Noobs are rare in UT3, compared to ut2004.

last ut2004 game the day before ut3 release i did with my clan was a public ONS-torlan match... the gab in points between us & the rest was 120, with 5 players of a score below 5. linking own core, shooting teammates, getting stuck, they had it all. conclusion: there are STILL pure noobs in ut2004.

Why doesnt this happen in UT3 ?

because UT3 needs a gaming pc, and you have to be a gamer to play it. not so for ut2004, which ran on any pc.

thats my vision why there are so few "real" noobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kensei View Post
              Why doesnt this happen in UT3 ?

because UT3 needs a gaming pc, and you have to be a gamer to play it. not so for ut2004, which ran on any pc.
              I won't say that... i myself would not call me a gamer (even if i do play a lot)
              I use my computer (about 95%) for work and by the way i'm a mac user and
              UT3 is my first windows PC game i bought for sth like 8 years or so (just
              couldn't wait for the crappy transported mac version and thanks bootcamp )

I think there are a lot of n00bs out there on UT3. I see them all the time. They
              join servers get smashed and leave immediately...it's just a game that came
              out a month ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Kensei View Post
                Noobs are rare in UT3, compared to ut2004.
                Depends on where you played in 2k4, I guess. On Torlan demo servers - true. :P But I already saw quite a few people in UT3 who tried to heal the core, guys who are shooting just everything that moves etc.

It was quite funny when my team got pushed back to the base (Torlan, iirc), I typed "ZOMG, heal teh core!!11" and suddenly you could see 2 or 3 three guys drawing their Link Guns and trying to heal it. :>

Comment

Originally posted by Slokop View Post
                  no we don't HAVE to deal with it. I think its very possible to make servers requiring a certain ELO level (see WIKIPEDIA), its a variable formed by your level of play that can be used to have acces to certain servers or not. I think its even possible in the commandline of a UT3 server.
                  I only meant we all have to deal with the spawn killing.

Comment

Hi all,

i play Unreal since the first part came out but never managed it to become
                    a player that could mess with the online community...so here's my question:
                    (and YES i did use the [non working] search function)

Are there other people out there that feel like i do? I love the community and
                    it's very fun to play with you guys (and get slaughtered all the time). But
                    sometimes it's quite annoying that you can't even see what's going on because
                    you get killed the sec you respawn...i had the same problem in the former UTs
                    but there has to be any server n00bs like me could have fun, too or am i wrong?

Please let me know if you know any...thx in advance!
                    Sometimes I feel this game is full of cheaters. I'm not a veteran player by no means, but getting killed by only two shots of pistol means simply cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by mjordan View Post
                      Sometimes I feel this game is full of cheaters. I'm not a veteran player by no means, but getting killed by only two shots of pistol means simply cheating.
                      Hehe, not possible. Since the server controls the damage done by weapons it's impossible to hack it. I believe you need 4 hits with the enforcer to kill a freshly spawned player (100 health, no armor).

@ all the new players who are getting destroyed online: Don't be afraid to ask questions while ingame. I always give some tips or otherwise try to help people improve if they just ask. More people should do this, it's just in your best interest. After all, more good players online means better, more intense matches!

Comment

Originally posted by LêøÑ¡dås View Post
                        But I already saw quite a few people in UT3 who tried to heal the core, guys who are shooting just everything that moves etc.

It was quite funny when my team got pushed back to the base (Torlan, iirc), I typed "ZOMG, heal teh core!!11" and suddenly you could see 2 or 3 three guys drawing their Link Guns and trying to heal it. :>
                        This is way worse in UT3 than 2k4 because here there's an explicit popup that says "You cannot heal the core!" ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by jehjoa View Post
                          @ all the new players who are getting destroyed online: Don't be afraid to ask questions while ingame. I always give some tips or otherwise try to help people improve if they just ask.
                          that's ace mate...but I guess your one in a million. Just yesterday I asked a
                          couple of guys how they managed it to get into the hidden upper area on
                          Reflection between the middle lift and the ramp to the flag...the only answer
                          that came was »trade secret«...

Comment

that's ace mate...but I guess your one in a million. Just yesterday I asked a
                            couple of guys how they managed it to get into the hidden upper area on
                            Reflection between the middle lift and the ramp to the flag...the only answer
                            that came was »trade secret«...
                            I try to help out new people as well. I've actually taken people on "tours" of maps from time to time (this was in 2k4, not yet playing UT3). It's actually quite fun to do. At one point I had a tail of 4 people running after me and following my tips and pointers Sadly it's rare that you can do this as there is always some ******* that ruins the fun. That said I always try to help people if they ask questions. It's the only way to get more and better players to the game IMHO.

Comment

We welcome players of ALL skill levels on our servers, and we don't tolerate any disrespect of those players either!

SO... you can come play, get help (if needed) and enjoy good games without having to deal with "azz hats."

DM Server: FUNZ0RZ by vvv-clan.com (14 player)

IP: 63.209.32.202:7777

#40 in the world according to Gametracker!

VCTF Server: .:vVv:. Clan VCTF/WAR Server (32 player)

IP: 8.6.74.11:7777

#4 in the world according to Gametracker!

Hope to see you online!

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
                                If you have the patch, Quickmatch takes into account your ranking so you could try using that to find servers with a more appropriate skill level.
                                I will try this option...actually I have tried it before but maybe because the lack of servers it led me to the very first in the browsing list...(which was far from my skill lvl )

Comment

Working...
                                X