• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any n00b servers?

Hi all,

i play Unreal since the first part came out but never managed it to become
    a player that could mess with the online community...so here's my question:
    (and YES i did use the [non working] search function)

Are there other people out there that feel like i do? I love the community and
    it's very fun to play with you guys (and get slaughtered all the time). But
    sometimes it's quite annoying that you can't even see what's going on because
    you get killed the sec you respawn...i had the same problem in the former UTs
    but there has to be any server n00bs like me could have fun, too or am i wrong?

Please let me know if you know any...thx in advance!

Can't tell you a specific place, but I already saw a so called "average server" (TDM). Keep your eyes open, maybe just pop into random servers and ask around ingame, maybe someone can name a server there. :]

Comment

thx i'll try i do practice a lot but there's still a long road to success, you know...

Comment

I think the average standard isn't that high on most servers. I would recommend that you join servers with less people in them. You might get some extra spammy kills on a heavily populated server, but you also tend to die so quick because others are spamming every corner of the map

If you like DM, then try some TDM for a little while and run around behind another player. You should then only have up to 8 opponents to kill & you can make it 2v1 most of the time. It should help you get more kills and see whats going on a bit more.

Once you're used to it, those big servers will become easier.

Comment

I would recommend spectating alot of players to see what they do and how they play. You can learn a lot from doing that. Then join servers where you see people are your level of play. Keep practicing and dont let the constant spawn killing get to ya. We all have to deal with it.

Comment

the people who have a little experience just join the "noob servers" so they can rake in the points and look better. i guess the handicap mutator could solve this though

Comment

I would say play more duel for the time being,just to get your skill up to par.
              I think the server admins need to lower the number of players as 16-20 on deck is just spam city atm.
              Also we need bigger dm maps for that amount of players.

Comment

That's exactly the way i'm doing it actually...but thx...unfortunately i prefer insta ctf
                and that's quite hard as all of you know because all the pros are playing it...but i'll keep
                my eyes open to find some servers.

in UT2k4 I'll once found a great server Ā»HaveFun.orgĀ« (some of you will know it) that
                was awesome but everytime i played on it more and more better player's used to play
                on it, too. so over a few months it was almost impossible to be there for more then just
                5 min without getting bashed and prompted to leave and "learn how to play" and stuff...

Comment

If you have the patch, Quickmatch takes into account your ranking so you could try using that to find servers with a more appropriate skill level.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
                    If you have the patch, Quickmatch takes into account your ranking so you could try using that to find servers with a more appropriate skill level.
                    Cool. I guess I should play quickmatch more.

Comment

Now that's interesting... looks like a base for some interesting server browser additions/improvements in future patches. :O So: does that function get an average (ELO) value of the people currently playing on specific servers to find an appropriate one?

Comment

Wow!

That's great news! Thanks a lot! So I just have to choose Quickmatch from the
                        Multiplayer menu and the game searches automaticly for other players that are
                        near to my ranking (i loose 5000 ranks a day...rofl)? Yes, got it patched to 1.1!

And BTW THX to all of you for your great, usefull and instant replies!

Comment

Originally posted by Tagen View Post
                          I would recommend spectating alot of players to see what they do and how they play. You can learn a lot from doing that. Then join servers where you see people are your level of play. Keep practicing and dont let the constant spawn killing get to ya. We all have to deal with it.
                          no we don't HAVE to deal with it. I think its very possible to make servers requiring a certain ELO level (see WIKIPEDIA), its a variable formed by your level of play that can be used to have acces to certain servers or not. I think its even possible in the commandline of a UT3 server.

Comment

hit servers with 3-4 players or less

if you get skooled, justr bail the server and join another, you will eventually find a server that has the same skill as you

dont listen to n00b's and use the "quik" match"

just because you dont rank high doesnt mean you dont have skill
                            in other words
                            theres players out there that rank 15,000 , but will crush you

the ranking systems is fekking retarded,
                            it only shows publik pure games stats
                            so if you play hella private matches , you never realy get "high" in the ranks

another way to get " OMFG IM 1ST IN RANK"
                            is to dedicate a server yourself, password it, and dump a bunch of 1v1 against novies
                            in a couple days you could be ranked #1

Comment

i sometimes watch the round before i join. If the top player on any has a score that is 20 more than the 2nd guy and the cap is 30kills, im not joining that game! haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X