State of the PC game, One Month In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bloody its just used as a example

but ok if you like 2k4 then same deal, mouse responds the way its supposed to and menu's are not consolized, how ever you want to put it.

Comment

Originally posted by karmatized View Post
      no way man, the menues dont feel consolish, the game actually responds to the mouse and isnt tied to Frame rate. Tell me how it feels console
      It feels like a console because I have to tap down twice the same key to switch weapons, it doesn't exploit fully my video card, the looks feel consolish, even the way you walk feels consolish.

You have to put classes in slots for multi and prepare them in advance, you cannot equip during the missing (comes from the fact that memory is limited on consoles)

Multiplayer gameplay is consolish, you just spawn and spray ... Instant action for the masses.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, in single player, but multiplayer feels like a cheap shooter compared to CSS or CS 1.6 in terms of gameplay. I do not think you will see a veteran PC FPS gamer enjoy CoD4 in multi ...

From having played prolly all the FPS that exist since Doom on PC, my opinion is that between Crysis and CoD4, UT3 is the only one with a decent gameplay in multi.

Comment

Some good points.. however one that hasn't been said is the power MicroSloth... 3 cheers for Epic to release to PS3 first (before Xbox), and to eventually support most all platforms. The reason you see some of these games being advertised so much (Halo comes to mind) is because of the above stated backer. All of you and surely not me, can not even fathom the amount of money Mr. Gates has... which makes for a tough competitor.

Here is my prediction. Even though Epic appears they are concentrating on consule marketing and sales (who knows for sure), I think the PC version will stand the test of time. I think it will be the turtle and the hare race and turtle in this case is the PC. The race is both against the different versions of this game (PS3 and XBOX), as well as the different games (quake, halo, etc..). This game, though bugs are still being worked out, is a solid foundation with potential for some serious mods to come out of the wood work. I predict that we will see it surpass achievements of the UT2K4. Don't get me wrong, I think Epic *could* do more to help this along. I think with all their 6 figure lic. sales that they could afford more advertising for this game. I think they could do some things in the way of supporting their loyal-over-10-years customers in the way of promoting competitions and awarding prizes etc. They *could* show more support to their community... even though their community is a complaining bunch of scrubs. ;-)

No, I think the PC version of UT3 is the most stable FPS game on the market with the most potential for growth. Time will tell.

Da

Comment

blue look into it and you will find that a lot of the people have went to it. you need to have played bf to get the game.

also tap down twice? get a betterkeyboard

everything else you mentioned is more Bf then anything else

Comment

Originally posted by karmatized View Post
            blue look into it and you will find that a lot of the people have went to it. you need to have played bf to get the game.

also tap down twice? get a betterkeyboard

everything else you mentioned is more Bf then anything else
            You didn't get it, you tap the same key to switch between primary and secondary ... but maybe you are just too used to play console games with 8-10 buttons since you did not even understand what I meant, you know, us, PC gamers use keys on a thing called a keyboard, and it has more buttons than your console ...

Or maybe you still use arrow keys and you like the spamfest, it seems so since your references are BF and CoD.

I played BF and yeah I admit, I have to like to shoot with a pea shooter that has no stopping effect to like BF and CoD, it feels like playing paintball. They (EA) probably wasted too much money on commercial and GFX to make a decent gameplay and physics engine.

IMHO TF2 has the best gameplay at the moment with UT3

Comment

pc games last years, console games last months 8 ).

Comment

no way, i have all the console but most of mine time is spent here on the computer

Comment

There is no question that the UT universe has never been better realized than it has on Unreal Engine 3 in UT3.

Comment

Counterstrike is the worst thing that ever happened to PC gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Roots View Post
                      There is no question that the UT universe has never been better realized than it has on Unreal Engine 3 in UT3.
                      I own 4 copies now so I'm liking the game here....but Epic may have had a change of heart after Gears of War became a smash success. I'll openly admit game modes are minimal and beyond the graphics revamp, there is less content overall. Go to any forum other than here were UT3 was discussed. There was/is allot of dissapointment. Result only 38k UT3 games for the PC sold so far.
                      Originally posted by Arnout View Post
                      Counterstrike is the worst thing that ever happened to PC gaming.
                      If anything CS showed developers that graphics were not as important as game play. More importantly is that focusing on game play and wide hardware appeal, has enabled CS to continue strong to this day. The communities built around it will be around for some time to come.

Graphics upgrades do not a hot seller make. Counter Strike Source and Day of Defeat Source communities can't beat their originals.
                      UT3 is beautiful but I know a number of people who can't play it on their PCs. It may be a long while before hardware catches up to UT3 and by then hopefully there will be community Mods that make a difference.

Comment

Maybe an answer is an adjustable damage mod across the board.. something to make vehicles last longer before imloding, and to make characters live a while longer.

When a warfare game lasts 4 minutes (torlon last night) but the scores at the end show there have been over 300 deaths, that's an unGODLY number of player kills in a short time. It's like all that **** armor every player is wearing is made of tin foil.

I really DO miss the lighter more stylized characters, in the mix with the armored ones.. and I haven;t seen anyone successfully import of convert a player model yet.

Comment

Originally posted by richcz3 View Post
                          If anything CS showed developers that graphics were not as important as game play. More importantly is that focusing on game play and wide hardware appeal, has enabled CS to continue strong to this day. The communities built around it will be around for some time to come.
                          What it showed me was that you don't need any imagination to satisfy millions of gamers.

Originally posted by richcz3 View Post
                          Graphics upgrades do not a hot seller make.
                          May the force be with you.

Comment

I have been UT'ing since the original UT99 came out. I've played it online and at LAN parties for years and years. I love it and it is my deathmatching weapon of choice.

I will not be buying UT3 though. I got the demo and that would not load at all on my machine. Before anyone says "But it's a DEMO", I have a very standard rig with not a lot of fancy bells and whistles. My rig runs ETQW and Bioshock flawlessly. I consider myself to have a decent, average system. There is no reason that the demo should not have run on my rig. I would only consider any software to be in the 'beta' stage if it successfully loads on an average system!

The other reason is that the game has been 'dumbed down' for consoles. PC owners like to tweak their settings. Even my Son's first opinion on the game from the opening screen (as far as we got on the demo before it BSoD'd) was "Where are the options?".

I was patiently waiting for bug fixes when only one week after the buggy demo was released we heard that the game had gone gold. Why should I spend 50 bucks on something that probably isn't going to work on my system and was rushed out the door before it could really be considered to be at an 'alpha' state of development?

FACT: THAT is why the PC boards are empty.

Comment

Like I've said, I'm enjoying the game, but that doesn't mean others are. We're going to LAN with it over the holidays. Unfortunately the sales numbers speak for themselves. As Tea Monster added, the technical problems hasn't helped. I'm reading that even PS3 players are running into glitches. I'm getting the vibe Epic rushed this to market for the holiday season. The console really needs to be locked in and working.

Epics Console design approach, the reduced game modes haven't brought measurable new value to the UT franchise. It's going to be up to the Modders and Mappers (if there are enough of them) to give UT3 some staying power.

Comment

I'm also a long time UT fan who hasn't picked up UT3 yet. I still remember picking up UT99 at launch and debating into the wee hours with friends whether Quake 3 or UT99 was better.

No Assault, less customization, and just significantly less content overall have been the deal breakers for me so far. I'll probably still pick up the game eventually over the coming weeks, but I'm in no hurry considering that the game still seems to be lacking a lot of the basic stuff that shipped with UT2K4.

Funniest thing is, I have a decent enough comp to run it, but am highly considering picking up the PS3 version instead if there's really almost nobody playing the PC one as is being touted everywhere I read.

It has been a sad week for PC UT fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X