No announcement yet.

State of the PC game, One Month In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Midway really screwed Epic. I'm just putting that out there.

Epic made a great game that most players agree is good, and Midway fails to advertise it at all. Crysis was so hyped up pre-release with 10-minute gameplay videos, ads, etc. I saw ONE trailer of UT3 this year, and it sucked. Probably had 100+ cuts in it so you couldn't see what was going on, the quality was terrible (and I had a good copy,) just terrible.

The demo had most of the high-quality visuals stripped out of it to make it smaller, so Midway could distribute it more cheaply, etc. Great game, terribly mishandled from the beginning.

Comment

Japan and other Asian countries tend to be tech/gaming trend setters...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110400502.html

Comment

Originally posted by Czechnmymail View Post
        I think Midway really screwed Epic. I'm just putting that out there.

Epic made a great game that most players agree is good, and Midway fails to advertise it at all. Crysis was so hyped up pre-release with 10-minute gameplay videos, ads, etc. I saw ONE trailer of UT3 this year, and it sucked. Probably had 100+ cuts in it so you couldn't see what was going on, the quality was terrible (and I had a good copy,) just terrible.

The demo had most of the high-quality visuals stripped out of it to make it smaller, so Midway could distribute it more cheaply, etc. Great game, terribly mishandled from the beginning.
        Totally agree, Crysis was way overhyped and is still. The gameplay from Crysis makes me want to cry since it is totally unimaginative and is even worse in multiplayer ... CoD4 is far from being great in multiplayer, even CSS gameplay is better than CoD4 ...

Both of them worked very well because of the marketing ... many people posted that Epic is only selling its engine but if UT3 sales do not go up, Unreal engine will not have any games to show how 'good' it is ...

Comment

Originally posted by EffeKt View Post
          To be honest and I hate saying this but pc gaming is dead.
          For large developers. Epic, Id, Valve, and other well knowns can't make a profit on PC sales anymore. It's back to the roots for small developers to cater to the PC market.

The majority of people want it simple such as console: get it straight out of the box and can use it.
          I have multiple high end PC's for LAN get togethers but also I have a 360. There are some games that simply play better on a Console without issue.

...however numbers show and the only pc games that aren't slumping have to do with elves and dwarves in a magical forest (World of Warcraft).
          That's pretty much the last bastion for PC game success. Online Console gaming communities live from game release to game release. A very high rate of replacement. Now that the 360 and PS3 have hard drives, there may be incremental version updates.

There will always be a market for PC games. Infinity Ward did a great job with COD4 version of the PC. Everything about it feels PC. Great single player and strong online multiplayer. The COD franchise is "alive and doing well"

When you boil UT3 all down, its a graphics update with several game modes removed and little else added. Cynicaly speaking its an ad for a game engine.
          I've read enough of Mark Reins interviews to feel that this may be the last UT we see on the PC. Unfortunately for Epic I don't expect UT3 to lead to stellar sales on the PS3. That and the fact its the dark horse running in the console market. Tough times ahead...

Comment

It IS getting too difficult for game developers to generate a profit on the PC. And they ain't got the resources to waste tryin'.

May get to the point where PC gamers need to step aside for a new gaming generation.

Comment

yawn, pc gaming aint dead, stop with the bull. quote the truth, epic released manure.

Cod4 and battlefield 2142 are the most played ione shooters for the pc currently. Y? its simple there good. point blank. Yes they made it for console also but they didnt kill the pc feel in the process which epic seems to have done with this

Comment

I'm glad to see that the patch was out less than a month after release.

Generally I'm pleased with the game.

Comment

Went to EB Games for my copy of UT3:

They had a XBoX section, a PS3 section, and a Wii section.

They keep the PC games in the back of the store.

Comment

always been like that at eb, if you wanted a game store that sold pc games you have to go back in time when eb was once software etc. That is till they got bought out by the starbucks company

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Roots View Post
                      Went to EB Games for my copy of UT3:

They had a XBoX section, a PS3 section, and a Wii section.

They keep the PC games in the back of the store.
                      In France, some shops do not sell PC games anymore

Comment

Originally posted by karmatized View Post
                        yawn, pc gaming aint dead, stop with the bull. quote the truth, epic released manure.

Cod4 and battlefield 2142 are the most played ione shooters for the pc currently. Y? its simple there good. point blank. Yes they made it for console also but they didnt kill the pc feel in the process which epic seems to have done with this
                        How would you define good? I personally think ut3 is awesome, its just different from the typical 'assault-rife' shooter. Maybe thats the problem: these kinds of shooters only gear towards players that remember the Doom days (?) Due to this they do not appeal to the new crowd of shooter fans (?).

Comment

dude dont get me wrong i think ut should be king. But actually pick up cod4 and tell me if it feels like a cheap console port and you will see what people are complaining about, ut3 feels cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by karmatized View Post
                            dude dont get me wrong i think ut should be king. But actually pick up cod4 and tell me if it feels like a cheap console port and you will see what people are complaining about, ut3 feels cheap.
                            CoD4 actually feels like a very cheap console port ...

Comment

no way man, the menues dont feel consolish, the game actually responds to the mouse and isnt tied to Frame rate. Tell me how it feels console

Comment

Quit talking specifically about non-UT3 games. That is against forum rules.

Comment

Working...
                                X