State of the PC game, One Month In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And also:

I have had absolutely zero problems while getting the game installed, patched and running. Last night I experienced no crashes, hitches, glitches or anything. Game ran smoove as a baby ***** on my single core system

Comment

Well all i can hope for now is that UT3 doesnt pull Quake 4

Comment

they do unreal tourlaments on tv sky channel 279 (xleague.tv)

i bought it because it looked fun there a match on tonight @ 9:00 you can watch it via internet to on there site

Comment

I am hopeful...

The current state of the game, in terms of online player counts and polish, is a bit of a disappointment. Obviously, Epic was forced to release a relatively unfinished product in order to meet shipping deadlines, etc... It's tough to fault them for that. From a business standpoint, expecting them to miss having the game out for the Holidays due to what was left to finish is a bit unrealistic.

They seem quite cognizant of the problems remaining and are moving quickly to fix them.
          This whole thing is very similar to the UT2k3 release... The first draft of that game was quite buggy and had some serious problems; however after a few patches and 1 or 2 bonus packs, it was quite fun to play and lead nicely into 2k4.

I am back on 2k4 for now. Besides the fact that I am waiting for some needed UT3 fixes that will inevitably get patched, the main reason is my PC is too old to really enjoy UT3 (FPS-wise)...
          I can tell that the core UT3 gameplay is solid, and can see myself making the move once the game and my PC have been upgraded.

Comment

It's the lack of advertising, and the fact they shipped an incomplete game. That did more damage to the games reputation than you can possibly imagine.

They also need patches with content, not just fixes, there is not enough modes in the game, and the game is too chaotic with high player count.

Comment

From the DM I played last night I can definitely say:

I feel for the noobs playing UT for the first time...they are getting torn the f*ck up...like a T-bone thrown into a pit of dobermans lol

I mean, people have been playing this game for 8 years!

Comment

Originally posted by sltdestini View Post
                They also need patches with content, not just fixes, there is not enough modes in the game, and the game is too chaotic with high player count.
                I think that they are still in full blown damage control mode. There are so many ESSENTIAL fixes that needed to be made from the original release, I don't think that Epic can even start to think about releasing additional content (yet).

Rest assured, like every other UT game there will probably be some nice bonus and map packs on the horizon... But they have some serious work to do on the core game first.

As for advertising... I don't know about that. I agree that it makes a big difference with console players, but I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of hard-core PC gamers, that go to the trouble of keeping their machine upgraded to the point where they can play cutting-edge games, are fully aware of UT3. Still, I think that at least some ads would be better than none.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerNut View Post
                  I think that they are still in full blown damage control mode. There are so many ESSENTIAL fixes that needed to be made from the original release, I don't think that Epic can even start to think about releasing additional content (yet).

Rest assured, like every other UT game there will probably be some nice bonus and map packs on the horizon... But they have some serious work to do on the core game first.

As for advertising... I don't know about that. I agree that it makes a big difference with console players, but I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of hard-core PC gamers, that go to the trouble of keeping their machine upgraded to the point where they can play cutting-edge games, are fully aware of UT3. Still, I think that at least some ads would be better than none.
                  you don't make money with a game which is targeted ONLY to hardcore gamers

Comment

Originally posted by BlueTrin View Post
                    you don't make money with a game which is targeted ONLY to hardcore gamers
                    Exactly...

This is why I think that they are focusing their advertising efforts on the console market... That, and like I said, hardcore gamers are more than likely already fully aware of UT3.

Comment

No need to market UT3 to hardcore PC gamers. The quality of the demo may have hurt with this crowd.

Interesting to see how the PS3 version of the game sells...

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Roots View Post
                        From the DM I played last night I can definitely say:

I feel for the noobs playing UT for the first time...they are getting torn the f*ck up...like a T-bone thrown into a pit of dobermans lol

I mean, people have been playing this game for 8 years!
                        Lol yea that is very true.

I think the lack of advertising is the biggest factor. My IRL casual gamer friends don't know/care that UT3 is even out. Even the ones who played the other versions (UT99 2k3, 3k4) for years. There are just way to many other huge name franchises that are willing to cough up the dough to get the name recognition, the only people really following UT3 are people who play UT religiously.

Comment

The NPD reports dismal sales of UT3 for the PC.
                          Only 33,995 copies sold

The demo produced more detractors than supporters on the forums I visit.
                          To many long time UT players, the interface alone was a bad sign of Epics new direction.

The in game Bloom and Blur actually masked level details making people wonder why system requirements were so high. The game demo simply didn't match the expectations after 3 years of screen shots provided by Epic. I know my initial impression was one of a let down.

I bought the full version on a whim - hoping that it was better. After modifying the ini's the game looks and performs allot better. Unfortunately its clear allot of people aren't going to give UT a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnout View Post
                            I don't think it has a lot to do with UT3 itself. It's the mentality of gamers these days. Everyone seems to want slow-*** military style gameplay, with pseudo-realistic weapon feedback and other gameplay mechanisms that just take the imagination out of gaming.

UT3 is by no means perfect, but at least it's still a game, rather than a war simulator.
                            I second that one mate. I hate most games nowadays. Ut3 is a great game.

Comment

There is at least one commercial out that I actually saw on the Sci-fi channel a couple of nights ago ... but as I said when I posted that info that was for the PS3 and they did not even mention that is was also available on the PC. Make what you want to of that but imo it definitely means that Midway (not Epic necessarily) feels like they have the greatest potential to make real money on the console and after reading today that only 33K copies of UT3 PC were sold last month I can see why. Usually you can expect twice that much the first week in sales for a console if the title is just halfway decent. Most good titles on the 360 for example don't sell less than 100K units the first week they are available. So when you look at it from a pure business standpoint you can understand the shift that Epic is making.

But this is also why good lower priced Video cards are starting to come out. The vid companies and others associated with PC gaming that want to see it stay alive and thrive see that these super high prices for top notch cards was helping to drive people into the console market ... with many people reasoning why spend $500 or more on a vid card (GTX and Ultra ... which before the current GT and GTS were the only real choices for high end gaming) when they can get a complete gaming system ... one with Blu-ray on top of that for $400. So now by bringing costs down and offering great performance the pc gaming fiants are trying to grow the audience again ... having learned their lessons I am sure. You make more money selling tons and tons of lower priced but good cards then a few high priced uber cards. Now is when it gets interesting if it is not already too late for PC gaming (high end I mean ... not WoW or Sims but graphics intensive shooters and RPG games like Oblivion).

Comment

Originally posted by MeepZero View Post
                                Now, first off, this is not a bashing post, I don't wanna see this get locked/deleted as much as anyone. I am trying to figure out a way to help the community here, expand the game, and give Epic a leg up and push some sales here.

In a recent post from gamespy it was stated that in the first month UT has sold something close to 33,995 copies to the PC users out there. Crysis sold something around 86,633 copies, but from what I hear their multiplayer is the worst thing ever and we all know that game takes a render farm to run. Other games such as COD have sold pretty decently, but the running tally here is showing that console games are selling far more then PC games. So what can we do as a community to help bolster the PC sales? The PC game is really where the heart of the community is, moreso then any console could ever produce.

We here have all whined and moaned about all these things that are "broken" and "wrong" about UT, but its really a great game. We all complain about not seeing enough players online but thats not something that can be simply patched. What I think is we need to get out and tell others about UT, get the word out that the game is actually pretty decent, I mean, if we didnt think it was any good then why would we all keep coming back here and playing the game and everything. Get out there, show it to your friends. Buy it as a chirstma/hana/kwanza/athiestholidyofgiftgiving present for someone.

Epic is doing what they can in the constraints of what they have to work with. Ideally from here they could start boxing copies of UT3 in video cards or something, but that will prolly happen when the next gen cards come out or something like that.

What can we do as a community to bring this game back into a brighter light and bring us some people to go frag with?
                                To be honest and I hate saying this but pc gaming is dead. The majority of people want it simple such as console: get it straight out of the box and can use it. When it comes to computers the casual computer person will get a laptop because they only use msn messenger, explorer, and Microsoft word. I personally love computer gaming because its far more advanced than console, however numbers show and the only pc games that aren't slumping have to do with elves and dwarves in a magical forest (World of Warcraft).

Comment

Working...
                                X