Want more FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dannydeman View Post
    Buy a 8800GT or a HD3850...It are great cards and very cheap.

^^ follow this advice ...

Comment

Your CPU still plays a big role. C2Ds run from 1.83 to 3GHz on the high end.
      Right Click on My Computer and click on Properties. At the very bottom you'll get the make and speed of your Processor.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
        Only the 8600GTS 512MB DDR3 card is good. . .
        I wouldn't disagree that 7900GS in SLI should beat the 8600GTS in UT3 given benchmarks of single cards. I know that I have a little of a bias as an 8600GTS owner, so I try to stick to data to support my assumptions. As I already pointed out, Gamespot's data is probably accurate, and there is reason to believe that 512MB offers little appreciable performance over 256MB. Different test data with UT3 and Unreal Engine games with the 8800GT 256MB are now confirming this at resolutions of 1600 and below.

Comment

Originally posted by cel4145 View Post
          I wouldn't disagree that 7900GS in SLI should beat the 8600GTS in UT3 given benchmarks of single cards. I know that I have a little of a bias as an 8600GTS owner, so I try to stick to data to support my assumptions. As I already pointed out, Gamespot's data is probably accurate, and there is reason to believe that 512MB offers little appreciable performance over 256MB. Different test data with UT3 and Unreal Engine games with the 8800GT 256MB are now confirming this at resolutions of 1600 and below.
          Anandtech has done this set of benchmarks recently;

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175

Hard to tell which has the price to performance lead due to the currently inflated prices on all the new cards. Looks like the 8800GT 256MB is right between the 3870 and the 3850 in performance and about 20% behind the 8800GT 512MB. I would still go with the 512MB as that will keep it's resale value longer, that along with the wide variation in performance of the 256Mb card depending on which games are played. Some obviously like more memory than others. It does look like the 256MB version does well in UT3 and it's priced the same as the 25% lower performing 8600GTS 512MB DDR3 superclocked card. So, it's obviously a better choice than the 8600.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
            Anandtech has done this set of benchmarks recently;

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175

Hard to tell which has the price to performance lead due to the currently inflated prices on all the new cards. Looks like the 8800GT 256MB is right between the 3870 and the 3850 in performance and about 20% behind the 8800GT 512MB. .
            That's to be expected at the 1920x1200 resolution based on the other data where it is clear that the extra memory is coming into play, and it would certainly be worthwhile to go with the 8800GT 512mb or consider the ATI instead.

But it depends on what monitor size someone hopes to use. If I'm not mistaken, 1920x1200 is in the 24" and above monitor range. It's the lower resolutions up through the 1600 width range which Anandtech didn't test where the differences are shown to be minimal and where the 8800GT 256MB jump ahead of those ATI cards by showing performance equivalent to the 512MB version. That's where that EVGA review test with Bioshock comes in helpful because it gives insight into Unreal Engine performance. The EVGA has a 50mhz higher clockspeed than the reference 8800GT, and is beating the stock 512MB handily at 1680 and stomping on it at 1280, indicating that the additional memory is having no positive impact at those resolutions. It's the clock speeds determining performance.

So it sort of depends on whether or not someone has a really large monitor or is plugging the game up to an HDTV. For the average person just looking to upgrade their video card with an average LCD monitor, this looks like the best buy for Unreal Engine.

Comment

Working...
            X