Want more FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want more FPS

When I play online or offline, there are sometimes fps drops.

My specs:
    Motherboard: Asus p5nsli
    Graphic card: 2 times Asus 7900 GS in SLI
    Processor: Intel Dual core about 300 euro 3 monts ago. (Forget the name)
    RAM: DDR2 of 1 gb

My question is how can inprove my fps?
    I thought of upgrading my RAM to 2 gb DDR2 or buying a new Graphic Card like 8600.(I don't want to spend more then 150 euro)

And I like to know how I can see my fps?

I hope someone can help me. I thank in advance.

Originally posted by Shonof View Post

"stat fps" in the console (F10)

Comment

Is the game just playing choppy or is it actual fps decrease? 1 gig is pretty weak compared to the rest of your rig, and if I had to make a suggestion I would say put in another gig.

Comment

buying an 8600 is much better than getting 2 gigs of ram if FPS is what you're after. RAM dereases loading times, but doesn't give you any FPS improvements.

Comment

My specs:

I thought of upgrading my RAM to 2 gb DDR2 or buying a new Graphic Card like 8600.(I don't want to spend more then 150 euro)

Looking at your config i am happy I waited for UT3 release with my hardware upgrade. I had that itching to buy new parts around time you bought yours. Ane yes goo for new graphics card, buy one 8800GT.

F10 and show fps

Comment

There is also a thread with INI tweaks which hepls alot...i cannot remeber which one though..:-)

Comment

So a 6800GT or a other 6800 is better then 2 x 7900GS?
              A other gb ram don't cost much so I buy it anyway.

Comment

Get 2GB's of ram and a hd3850 (faster than a 8600gt, and it only costs 150 euro)

Comment

So a 6800GT or a other 6800 is better then 2 x 7900GS?
                  A other gb ram don't cost much so I buy it anyway.
                  Not 6800 series, but 8600 or 8800 series (single) are much better than 2 x 7900GS

Comment

Dont buy any more ram if you use XP. There was a performance test done with UT3 comparing size of ram. Going from 512mb to 1gig made a huge difference. Going from 1gb to 2gb/3gb showed no difference. Unless of course you run a lot of stuff in the background, in which case it would matter. I find that on forums people are willing to tell you what MIGHT help, but not necessarily what WILL help. So be sure to double check what people are saying.

ANyway, going with an 8600 would not make much of a difference in performance. Its more of the budget card of the 8 series, where as the 7900 is the performer of the 7 series. Im not 100% sure though. There is a side by side comparison of card performances with ut3 at soem popular tech site. Im sure someone here will point you in the right direction.

Comment

See this Gamespot UT3 graphics card hardware review. You're not likely to get much gain with an 8600GT over sli'd 7900GS. Doesn't look like the 6800 series is the way to go either.

Check out the 256MB 8800GT's if cost is a concern (see my post about them). Newegg has a couple right now.

Comment

Oh. And the Gamespot article has the RAM review mentioned by other poster. To sum it up: If you have XP, you won't see increased FPS with 2GB; a little under Vista.

Tip for increasing FPS: make certain your weapon is hidden instead of visible. I did some testing and found that it definitely makes a noticeable difference in FPS.

Comment

Buy a 8800GT or a HD3850...It are great cards and very cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathmooN View Post
                            buying an 8600 is much better than getting 2 gigs of ram if FPS is what you're after. RAM dereases loading times, but doesn't give you any FPS improvements.
                            Even the 8600GTS 512MB DDR3 is not better than the 2X 7900GS in SLI, not even close. When playing maps with lots of players having 2GB ram prevents you from having to use the HD as virtual or page memory which kills fps.

Comment

My specs:

Check out your SLI mode settings, set it to split frame rendering 2 and get the 2nd GB of ram.

For increased fps, decrease quality, decrease screen resolution, see Ultron's sticky.

Beware of the 8600 cards, there are about 20 different ones, many of them perform very poorly even if in SLI compaired to what you now have. Only the 8600GTS 512MB DDR3 card is good, but in single card is not as good as your current SLI setup and it's very pricey, better to save up and spend a little more on an 8800GT 512MB than get an obsolete 8600 series card.

My very obsolete specs;
                              Opty 180 @ 2.6GHz (socket 939)
                              DFI Infinity NF4 SLI (nforce 6.85 driver)
                              2GB DDR400 (value ram)
                              2 X 7950GT 570MHz 512MB SLI (169.04 driver)
                              Ageia PhysX (1.1.1.14 driver)
                              SB Live 24 bit (1.004.0055 driver)
                              XP64 pro SP2 until Linux port arrives (AMD Dual-Core Optimizer)
                              1600x1200, 3-3 quality, 47-85 FPS (I set a 85 FPS cap for offline)
                              1600x1200, 3-3 quality, 26-70 FPS PhysX maps
                              UT3 ver. 1.1

Comment

Working...
                              X