X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gratz 2 Epic & Midway!

Gratz, you really deserve it!

http://www.thesimexchange.com/resear...rt.php?id=12#6

Originally, the market expected Unreal Tournament 3 to surpass Crysis; however, this was proven to be false as Crysis triumphed over Unreal with 86,633 to 33,995 units, respectively. It should be noted that even though Crysis beat market expectations, it is far from being called a success, and still suggests that the best PC titles are those that can be readily available to a wider market by having lower hardware requirements.

US Software in November 2007
    Rank//Title//Actual units//Expected units//% From Expected
    1 Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360) 1,565,404 840,000 +86.36%
    NR Crysis (PC) 86,633 68,600 +26.28%
    NR Unreal Tournament 3 (PC) 33,995 70,600 -51.84%

Epic deserves it, they made a kickass game.

Midway deserves no thanks for not doing anything to benefit the game via marketing.

Comment

One has to wonder where they draw these "expected figures" from.. seems like arbitrary numbers pulled out of their asses to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
        One has to wonder where they draw these "expected figures" from.. seems like arbitrary numbers pulled out of their asses to me.
        They have methods, looking at sales of previous titles and such. UT2004 sold extremely well, therefore they (and alot of others) thought that UT3 would have sold well too.

Comment

Originally posted by Matfei View Post
          Epic deserves it, they made a kickass game.

Midway deserves no thanks for not doing anything to benefit the game via marketing.
          The gameplay itself is great.

Lots of people don't like the bloom and especially the pointless DoF and blur effects. UT doesen't need this.

The UI, also the server browwser is a mess (still after patch 1.1).

Still no linux server.

The result: Nobody plays it online. There are reasons for this lack of players.
          The demo showed to a lot of people, that this game is unfinished and unpolished.

And i believe it is a shame, that such a great franchise ends up like this. The current server situation reminds me the situation with the original Unreal game: No players, no good servers. That's hard, because UT 99 was such a smash hit and UT2004 too.

Looks like they didn't learn from the UT2003 release. 2k3 wasn't polished too...

Comment

sadly this is the truth

Comment

humpf.... well unreal has not begun so good with 33.000 copies,
              but crysis... 80.000?? is not so much either way???

whats happening here, those both games are amazing, both them should be far away from those numbers...

EDIT: im seiing the list and im seeing that more sold titles are call of duti for the 360 and mario for wii,

to my impression, is like people go buy in mass games that are easy to play and not hardcore or competitive, with functional graphics,

Are better easy games than competitive ones? i dont know, but i know what i like, and im not in age to play super mario

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                thats how it works

Originally posted by r1esG0 View Post
                humpf.... well unreal has not begun so good with 33.000 copies,
                but crysis... 80.000?? is not so much either way???

whats happening here, those both games are amazing, both them should be far away from those numbers...
                lack of money, games are expensive nowadays, also to run crysis normally you need a kick *** machine, as for UT, i have no idea why numbers are so low but note that the games isn't really finished yet

Comment

Originally posted by r1esG0 View Post
                  True, it's odd. :/

People's preferences seem to follow a totally different tack these days... slow spray-weap shooters seem to be the way to go. :S

Comment

You have to compare these counts with the count in a year or 2, when the activity will rise its peak. Everybody still has a crappy computer and maybe not enough money to buy the game. 2 or 3 christmasses from now a lot of more people will be able to try the game. And to be honest, they are better off than us. More and better maps will be on publics, bugs will be fixed. A steady community be there.

Comment

I really hope, that is true. Perhaps, games like CoD 4 will loose players soon, if the "new game" effect fades away. But if you compare the cod 4 servers and players, and the UT3 servers and players, i wonder, if UT3 will survive as an online game. Well, perhaps the UT2k4 players will switch to UT3. But i am not sure, if this will happen...

Comment

These are US Software Charts - lets face it over at the US only Wii und XBox360 Games are really sold in high numbers - most PC Games get warezed in the US (thats still a problem in Europa but not in such high Numbers) so a big Portion of US PC Gamers dug the grave for PC Gaming over there.
                        More interesting would be the european Numbers as in a matter of fact the Heart of PC Gaming lies over here - especially Germany 50% of the Games sold here are PC Games, maybe thats why Germany got UT3 Release first.
                        Respect to Crysis for selling that "much" over at the US - atleast better then FarCry in its times - shows that Germans and Turkish People can make good games too.

EDIT: That all does of course not take away the fact that Midway did an even more bad Job in Advertising UT3 then Atari did back in the times of UT2kx (didn't Epic broke with Atari because they thought their games were badly advertised? So whats the SH*T with Midway now? That can`t be anything bette, in fact its the worst Advertising ever - NONE).

EDIT2: http://www.gamestar.de/aktuell/charts/verkaufscharts/
                        These are the German Charts (PC) based on Saturn-Sales - there are no Figures but most times the Top5 PC Games sell all the way more Units then Top5 ConsoleGames (only NDS and Wii Games break into those from time to time)

Comment

Those sales numbers are just depressing.

Comment

Crysis had about a week headstart on UT3. That wouldn't have made up for the difference, but it's worth noting.

Comment

i havent played/beaten Crysis since i got UT3

Comment

Working...
                              X