Map/Mod making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Map/Mod making

Hello, I wanted to say that I am disappointed to her that you will need to buy the PC version of UT3 to make mods and maps. I am getting a ps3 for xmas because my comp would cost to much to upgrade, and wanted to try making maps for UT3 (made some for cs series). I do not see why I would have to pay 50 more dollars (which i really cant afford)to do this, I understand they don't want to release this for free, But my idea is why not allow ps3 users (and xbox when it is released) to register the game through something like a serial number, and once registered allow them to download the programs?

50 dollars is £25 right?
    you cant be dat broke if relatives are buying u a ps3

Comment

Your idea won't work because after registration, you'd not only need to download the editor but also the game content (static meshes, textures) and the engine itself (to test the map during development).. in other words, the entire game. For Epic Games, it doesn't pay to port UnrealEd to PS3 and Xbox 360 (most development tools are for PC anyway) so that's why people need the PC version to develop maps/mods.

Comment

lol, dats all im getting....and i had to push them to get me that.....and yea i am, i had to spend like 200 on xmas gifts....i only got about 10 bucks left, and i would also need to get ut3 for the ps3

as for needing basically the game for testing, couldnt u just do that on the ps3?

Comment

Originally posted by Surferdude View Post
          lol, dats all im getting....and i had to push them to get me that.....and yea i am, i had to spend like 200 on xmas gifts....i only got about 10 bucks left, and i would also need to get ut3 for the ps3

as for needing basically the game for testing, couldnt u just do that on the ps3?
          No.

You'd need Maya/Max, UnrealED, Gimp/Photoshop etc. to make the maps and mods. That means you need a high-end PC to do it... actually faster than it takes to run the game.

Unless you install Linux on your PS3 -- if Sony allows PS3-Linux to have GPU support then who knows, maybe Epic will port the development tools to Linux (like they currently "might be doing if possible") in which case you could potentially install Maya, Gimp, and UnrealED on your PS3. Currently that's impossible of course since the version of Linux available for the PS3 disables the GPU, but you never know what'll happen.

You'd need to PC version of the game unless Epic says "Hey, PS3 users... use the linux editor with your game disk."

But as it stands right now, again, Sony's locked out the GPU meaning all that is currently impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
            if Sony allows PS3-Linux to have GPU support
            This will NEVER happen, ever. This is only starting to become a reality because of some of the majorly talented hackers working on it (u can get some hello world types of things at ps2dev.org)

Comment

Working...
            X