Deathmatch - make sense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deathmatch - make sense?

my problem with death match is that death doesn't matter in the final result.

Is it just me?

Da

What do you mean?

Comment

it has always been this way since unreal tournament began. only frags matter

Comment

Originally posted by Rujman View Post
        What do you mean?

yes, I guess I was cryptic in my question...

I think deaths should be taken into account in score... makes sense to me.

Da (and I've played through all versions of Unreal.)

Comment

i can't understand....

Comment

Just because Death is in the name doesn't mean it should have any bearing over it.

In another way of looking at it, fragging someone causes them to die, thus you score a point off their death.

So in a way your idea is null, since death is brought into account in the scoring.

Comment

Doesn't really matter though, if your efficiency is good you have done more for your team than someone that spams around a bit in the most populated area and gets killed way more than he kills players himself. But it's always been like that.

Comment

lol its always been called deathmatch...the names never gonna change, neither is the gameplay...just dont think about the name, just have tonnes of fun blowing the brains outta ppl

Comment

Originally posted by DaUff View Post
                  my problem with death match is that death doesn't matter in the final result.

Is it just me?
                  well, since your questioning deathmatch, the root from which all FPS Multiplayer is derived, god probably hates you now, and probably some of the elder gods, and possibly even jesus. to be honest I dont even think satan like you now, and you should probably stay the **** away from vishnu. oh and socrates hates you as well.

if it was done by KDR (kill per death ratio) then the play style would be ultra-conservative. you would camp, and you would snipe. you would also try to do this near the spawn points and sniper spawns.

so if you like a sniping spawn/weapon-camp game, go for it.

when its a race for kills, you don't want to sit there and do nothing for 3 minutes, you want to rack up kills. This is why people move and don't just sit and camp.

if you look at the kdr of snipers in games like counterstrike, DoD:s, and other games; they are generaly lower than that of the non-snipers. Those games function well because there are other objectives besides kills.

[now you could do a point system that took kdr into account, but just remember that is basicaly just points to snipers]

Comment

Your deaths matter in 1 on 1 deathmatch.

Comment

Originally posted by Guru7892 View Post
                      well, since your questioning deathmatch, the root from which all FPS Multiplayer is derived, god probably hates you now, and probably some of the elder gods, and possibly even jesus. to be honest I dont even think satan like you now, and you should probably stay the **** away from vishnu. oh and socrates hates you as well.
                      LOL!

Complete win.

Comment

Originally posted by Guru7892 View Post

if it was done by KDR (kill per death ratio) then the play style would be ultra-conservative. you would camp, and you would snipe. you would also try to do this near the spawn points and sniper spawns.

so if you like a sniping spawn/weapon-camp game, go for it.

when its a race for kills, you don't want to sit there and do nothing for 3 minutes, you want to rack up kills. This is why people move and don't just sit and camp.

if you look at the kdr of snipers in games like counterstrike, DoD:s, and other games; they are generaly lower than that of the non-snipers. Those games function well because there are other objectives besides kills.

[now you could do a point system that took kdr into account, but just remember that is basicaly just points to snipers]
                        :-) "Race for Kills" ... much better name me thinks.

btw, socrates already disliked me.

Da <--- playing duel now.

Comment

2 points for killing, -1 for dying would be nice. That way the game isn't all about the race. It'd be good for bots. It's pretty difficult to outscore a bunch of bots that just keeps running into each other with the Impact Hammer right after spawning.

Originally posted by campbullard View Post
                          Your deaths matter in 1 on 1 deathmatch.
                          And in free-for-all, just less so.

Comment

Your death already matters. Your death = one more point for the person that killed you. Meaning that if you die a lot, other players will have more points. Simple math.

Comment

It's still nice to SEE deaths on the scoreboard, even though they technically mean nothing.
                              It's the only thing that seperates a good player and a great player in DM.
                              The great player will have 69 frags, 5 deaths. The good player will have 70 frags, 40 deaths.
                              Obviously 70 frags wins, but everyone knows the 69 frag player owned that map.

Comment

Working...
                              X