No announcement yet.

Freezes are getting worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unstable RAM can also cause crashing in games, which normally wouldn't happen under everyday internet browsing. Switch your timings and/or memory speed could work for some people with this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenoxious View Post
      For a start how about detailing the hardware of your PC.

Its ultra retarded to make such a post and then give no information about your kit.
      Dude be cool. There is no need to be insulting to someone who is obviously a newbie when it comes to forums and such (or who was so frustrated that he simply forget to list his specs). He needs some help and is already frustrated. He needs you calling him retarded like he needs a hole in his head. I swear I don't know what is wrong with some of you people ... you act like you were never new at something and never made a mistake. All you had to say is please list your specs and that was it. Lets see how you like it the next you need assistance and you don't get it because people remembered how utterly rude you are.

Comment

Having this problem myself. It's even worse on servers that are running the CustomUT mutator, though that seems to have something to do with the way that it loads custom colors for models.

I run Rivatuner and keep the fans at 100%. Every time I crash I check my temperature logs for both the proc and video card and everything checks out. I'm not overclocking and I have the latest drivers. Please don't bother replying to problems you haven't experienced with generic tech support advice. The only thing that it helps is your post-count.

Specs:
        Athlon 64 FX-60
        Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
        4GB DDR400
        Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Comment

nthexwn - a few quick things
          are you using matching ram? (alternating brands causes instability)
          have you tried a different OS?? (i cant get past the menu screen in vista ultimate x64 atm... i click one and BAM crash)

i have diagnosed an evga 8800GT, 2 8800GTS (xfx and bfg), and i myself run 8800GTX, i've never had a stutter problem except for a powersupply problem which caused tearing followed by stuttering. that doesnt mean the psu was too little for the rig, it just somehow was incompatible with it (one was an 850w in a single 8800GT build which is way more than enough) which happened in 2 instances with 2 different rigs entirely.

if your temp isnt a problem, do your pci-e rails support enough amperage for the 8800GTS to suck up when it gets under load? if not it will cause a stutter at first, eventually underclocking and a nv4_disp bsod.

define latest: official or beta? (169.21 isnt very good)

why cant good tv be on at 5am? *sigh* wheres my DVDs?

how old is your ram? someone above mentioned ram being a problem. check it with memtest (google memtest.zip) you'll have to run multiple copies. if you doubt this is the problem (i do) then check your gfx for power drain, i dont know of any good programs that can do this, but i do know the crysis benchmark will work your card over.

xp43, its very hard to diagnose your problems without more info. its hard enough to diagnose it already, with the simple result of a thousand different problems.

Comment

I havent had a single problem with the beta or the full game. Its probably just ur pcs :P Maybe overheating?

Comment

Could it be an over-heating issue? I've never had any freezing issues at all with my 8800GT. I had a 6600GT a bunch of years back.. That thing over heated like hell. Didn't seem to matter what game I played, I would get like 25 second complete freezes.

The 8800GT is a hot running card. If you don't have some decent ventilation and cooling in your tower, that could be very well be causing the problem. For a lot of people, this card idles at 70C and at full load it can get up to 90. I've also been told that is normal for this card, but it makes a lot of people uncomfortable... Def had me worried.

Comment

90c isnt good for anything, it raises your ambient which increases temps of every part in your rig, equally it increases your overall room temps over a short period of time and MY GOD thats hot! anything over 80c is too much, and im uncomfy with 75c

Comment

Originally posted by Rajinn View Post
                  nthexwn - a few quick things
                  are you using matching ram? (alternating brands causes instability)
                  Yes

have you tried a different OS?? (i cant get past the menu screen in vista ultimate x64 atm... i click one and BAM crash)
                  No, this could be a Vista issue.

i have diagnosed an evga 8800GT, 2 8800GTS (xfx and bfg), and i myself run 8800GTX, i've never had a stutter problem except for a powersupply problem which caused tearing followed by stuttering. that doesnt mean the psu was too little for the rig, it just somehow was incompatible with it (one was an 850w in a single 8800GT build which is way more than enough) which happened in 2 instances with 2 different rigs entirely.
                  I have a SilverStone ST75ZF, which is a 750W PSU with 72 amps across quad 12v rails. The voltages are steady.

if your temp isnt a problem, do your pci-e rails support enough amperage for the 8800GTS to suck up when it gets under load? if not it will cause a stutter at first, eventually underclocking and a nv4_disp bsod.
                  I haven't tested the PCI-E rails with a voltmeter or anything but I also haven't experienced anything like this in other games while the comp was under load.

define latest: official or beta? (169.21 isnt very good)
                  163.75_forceware_winvista_64bit_english_whql. I don't do beta drivers.

how old is your ram? someone above mentioned ram being a problem. check it with memtest (google memtest.zip) you'll have to run multiple copies. if you doubt this is the problem (i do) then check your gfx for power drain, i dont know of any good programs that can do this, but i do know the crysis benchmark will work your card over.
                  I ordered my memory from Newegg less than a month ago. It checks out in Memtest86 as well as Orthos with timings of 2-3-2-5-2T @ 400mhz.

why cant good tv be on at 5am? *sigh* wheres my DVDs?
                  Screw TV, play UT!

Comment

A friend of mine was shouting & balling of the game pausing all the time the otherday. He was running vista also & has the same spec pc as me. I told him to get WinXP on & now he says it plays 100% better.
                    I will say no more about Vista, I could go on forever

Comment

This is not just a Vista issue (it has been confirmed that it happens on XP as well) and it is unlikely that it is overheating from the info I have been told (that is why I am curious about how the new 8800 GTS 512 are with UT3 ... they have better cooling than the 8800 GT). I spoke to a tech dude from both eVGA and XFX and each one told me that the card are rated to operate safely up to 95c ... once it gets to that point then you need to cool it down so that gives people a lot of room to OC and not have to worry about temps. So again the most likely think are the drivers for the vid cards as I said earlier.

Comment

lmao! screw tv :-D well my internet is running at a whopping 12kbit/s due to a break in the fiber line a couple miles down the road, a week later they still havent fixed it, so i cant really play ut3 online and i already beat campaign on insane and instant action is just childs play.

im glad your ram checks out that eliminates something! silverstone makes an A+ quality PSU, i doubt you have any power issues. it could very well be a vista issue on your side. if you have access to windows xp, give it a shot, but be warned you will have to do a "repair" on vista (insert vista disc and boot from it) to get the mbr fixed (or download vistabootpro, freeware) so that you can boot into vista again. i need to figure out exactly whats wrong with mine, i screwed ut3 up once on vista already i dont think i did it twice o.0

as for the drivers, i've never tried 163 series on the 8800GT, if you dont use beta drivers then that is entirely your own decision, but 169.02 is the latest whql drivers for vista x64 located @ http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_169.02.html

anuban, even so, thats way too hot for the card. 105c will fry it. thats a dust ball away! (anything that can stop the fan for a moment). if xp stops the stuttering then so be it. and low heat is always better, regardless of the scenario, try putting a 120mm blowing through your 8800GTs and see if it yields any effect, if so its a heat issue.

lost my train of thought so my post ends here
                        edit:
                        whoa i got logged out while typing an edit a sec ago! wtf?!
                        remembered i had a stuttering problem (not the speech related one!) when i reinstalled xp. driver conflict IIRC, resolved it with driver cleaner pro in safemode, erased chipset/gfx (both nvidia) then reboot, reinstalled chipset in safe mode, reboot, reinstalled gfx in safemode, then reboot, all was good.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
                          There is no need to be insulting to someone who is obviously a newbie when it comes to forums and such (or who was so frustrated that he simply forget to list his specs). He needs some help and is already frustrated.
                          There is a difference between being 'new' and having common sense. I know some people are ohhhh you can't say anything bad to people they might cry... but ("Its ultra retarded to make such a post and then give no information about your kit.") is not even that abrasive. On the other hand if I had said what I was really thinking which was that the post was stupid written by a stoopid person you might have a point not the mention the following but:

1) He's obviously not interested as he has since not responded.
                          2) He's replied several times whilst people have been asking WHAT HARDWARE do you have.
                          3) If you want to waste your time on such lost causes be my guest but until he does the minimum by either looking at other posts or stating his hardware then I am not going to waste my time trying to help him.

Comment

This may help with over heating problems, it helped a lot on my rig. (8800GTX)

Riva tuner is a utility that can speed up the fan on Nvidia 8800 cards, when fan is set to 100% my card idles at 113F(45C) and while ingame, gets no higher than 130 fahrenheit (54C)

here's a link with more details:
                            http://www.winxpcentral.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22574

here's the actual Riva site

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Comment

Originally posted by XP43 View Post
                              PC ofcourse, its a known bug, but its getting worse for me.
                              Known to who?

Comment

Originally posted by Odd1in View Post
                                This may help with over heating problems, it helped a lot on my rig. (8800GTX)

Riva tuner is a utility that can speed up the fan on Nvidia 8800 cards, when fan is set to 100% my card idles at 113 and while ingame, gets no higher than 130[/url]
                                Dude, if that's the case for your videocard, then your cooler is mounted badly, or your fan isn't working properly..

It should be around 40° C Idle and NEVER go above 85-90° C stressed.. ever!

Comment

Working...
                                X