Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You were killed by Rook (Flak Cannon)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    It is especially helpful since the sounds in UT3 are somewhat unclear from time to time and I get odd lags on unstable servers anyway - just today I got killed by a deemer and didn't hear or see its explosion at all, it just wasn't there. Without the message, I would have thought a Nightshade ran over me. :S

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by ElDiablo2k3 View Post
      No. I'm just tired of people making a big issue out of nothing... *sigh*

      ...but you are right, I wasn't being constructive. Apologies.

      I wasn't trieng to make a big deal out of it but somehow this thread got blown up to 7 pages... and the weird thing is it's not realy ment as an epic made an other sucky change in the game topic.

      just motivated my action before hand and finished it with asking for help so i could change the little thing myself.

      but i noticed there are a lot of bored people here, stating that i am angry or need to grow up, not whine etc.

      anyways i've made some progress in editing it and am now getting some help from the coder forum seems to be a bit more then just changing some letters & numbers around

      Comment


        #63
        the info was already there in the death msgs - this is another something that needs to have an On/Off switch. that way it works for everyone, those who want it, and those who dont...

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by UnrealGrrl View Post
          the info was already there in the death msgs - this is another something that needs to have an On/Off switch. that way it works for everyone, those who want it, and those who dont...
          agreed some like it minimalistic others clean and some love a full screen...

          anyways working on a how to when all is clear so i can help others to configure those messages to their satisfaction

          Comment


            #65
            Plz. take that message away when I was driving the nightshade lol.

            Comment


              #66
              Wasn't the death message (in prior UTs) a format string that could be edited in some ini file?

              Seems like there may have been an exploit on that somehow also.

              You might poke around in the older games forum sections for that type of item. It's been too long to remember much more than that, sorry.

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by [209] View Post
                anyway i've done some searching in the configuration files and i can edit the "You where Killed by" and even figured out the weapon name trailing it (well at least part of it when i removed the english weapon name and it was replace it with the italian one :s )

                but still haven't found out where the "(" and ")" are noted and I am still searching for the string that points towards the item names in those config files

                but getting there, seems like almost every message and link is just in plain text so that makes for easy editing, you got to love XML

                when i've figured it all out with or without your help i will make a how to topic for the people that like something diferent
                Ok, here's some help (or lack thereof).
                If you decompile the unreal scripts for the 1.1 patched game, you'll find the code that appends the weapon name in UTGame/UTVictimMessage.uc (or some similar name, I'm typing this from the top of my head).

                I've looked at the code yesterday and appending "(", then the weapon name, then ")" is hardcoded in the script (although there are specific strings including the parentheses for some special types of damage like viper self-destruct, scorpion self-destruct, spider mines and hit and run)

                The weapon name is taken from the damage class and it's probably localized in external files somehow. However, even if you replace those with empty strings somehow, it'll probably affect every place where a weapon name is displayed.
                And the parentheses will still be there.

                I have no experience whatsoever in modding ut3, but maybe a mutator would be able to change this. It would have to be enabled server side, though. I doubt there is anyway to mod things client-side only as it would be possible to cheat this way.

                So I guess your best option is to lobby epic games to add an option for this.

                Comment


                  #68
                  Frankly, this is such an irrelevant thing -- and all it does is give you more and more obvious information -- that I'd rather Epic spend time improving other features of the game than adding a toggle for people who complain about this.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by DireWolf View Post
                    I dont mind it, its nice to know. They should have just gave us the option to switch it off. If you want to complain about something complain about the lack of options.
                    +1

                    10characterslul

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by Brap View Post
                      +1

                      10characterslul
                      Originally posted by Wail of Suicide View Post
                      Frankly, this is such an irrelevant thing -- and all it does is give you more and more obvious information -- that I'd rather Epic spend time improving other features of the game than adding a toggle for people who complain about this.

                      wow... thx guys... no really ... good contribution...

                      *aplaude


                      Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
                      Ok, here's some help (or lack thereof).
                      If you decompile the unreal scripts for the 1.1 patched game, you'll find the code that appends the weapon name in UTGame/UTVictimMessage.uc (or some similar name, I'm typing this from the top of my head).

                      I've looked at the code yesterday and appending "(", then the weapon name, then ")" is hardcoded in the script (although there are specific strings including the parentheses for some special types of damage like viper self-destruct, scorpion self-destruct, spider mines and hit and run)

                      The weapon name is taken from the damage class and it's probably localized in external files somehow. However, even if you replace those with empty strings somehow, it'll probably affect every place where a weapon name is displayed.
                      And the parentheses will still be there.

                      I have no experience whatsoever in modding ut3, but maybe a mutator would be able to change this. It would have to be enabled server side, though. I doubt there is anyway to mod things client-side only as it would be possible to cheat this way.

                      So I guess your best option is to lobby epic games to add an option for this.
                      thats about as far as i got as well, still working on it tho, but thx mate

                      Comment


                        #71
                        So, hear whats Mr. Noisemaker has to say, it is very important! Ok, not really, but i like the word "important", ("import-Ant" Haha. Fun.)
                        I would prefer the big, red, "new" (restored) Kill-Message then this stupid descriptions in the lower left Corner, "Scheibenwischer got slimed by 209' snot rag".
                        The annoying ones are just simple an precise, the Name of the Enemy and the Weapon, all i wanna know. Maybe it looks like a Debug-option from the Programmers, but i say it is fine, like in the old Days.
                        Useful for flaming Flak-imps, too

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Okay

                          I'll tell you why they added it...

                          Because people were complaining before... even in Reviews.

                          See people! This is why complaining is pointless! There's always a dozen other people who complain for the exact opposite thing!

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Maybe they should look at the "Pro" and "Contra"-Complainers (is that right? sounds stupid.) and count witch one has more "votes"...

                            Comment


                              #74
                              How do you enable death messages in the corner anyway? I've never figured this out.

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
                                I'll tell you why they added it...

                                Because people were complaining before... even in Reviews.
                                I wondered about that... but if that were they case, why didn't they simply turn on the console death messages by default? Why this clunky message? Sounds like more work for less result.

                                If they wanted to offer a clear, to-the-point and unfunny message, they could have given players a choice like this:

                                Death Messages:
                                - Off
                                - Funny (X got slimed by Y)
                                - Short (Y > BioRifle > X)

                                Epic isn't one for adding options to the UI, nowadays. I wonder why. It's not as if console players need their game to have as few options as possible.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X