Wheres There Color ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I found a very interesting console command that'll restore some color to the game:

set postprocessvolume settings (scene_desaturation=0)

Seems that PostProcessVolume.Settings.SceneDesaturation is usually around 0.2 or 0.3. That means you lose 20%-30% of color to the post-processing alone.

I just gave this a shot and it made the game look a bit better, and not at all cartoony or unnatural. I might write a mutator that does this automatically, some day.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think anyone that turns off things like like depth of field/bloom forfeits the right to say they a "max candy" setup. If you have 10 peices of candy, and someone takes 2 peices from you, you're no longer at your max.

Anyhow, the colors are just fine in this game. And there are some maps that look ruined without the atmosphere provided by the HDR effects. I also find it interesting the people who are showing these so-called "bland" screenshots have those HDR effects disabled, or lower the settings in-game, disabling various forms of eye candy.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Am I one of the only people who likes the colors(or lack of)?

If I want realism, I'll go play a game that isn't supposed to be unreal.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Matfei View Post
    It's called realism.

I doubt in a war things are going to be particularly idealistic, bright and colourful.
    Lol, it's only a "war" because Epic made the story like that, and they made it like that to please console players. It shouldn't have ever been a "war", it should've been another proper tournament.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
    Because it's well known that when a war happens, all colors in the area becomes less saturated.
    Yeh man, just watch Saving Private Ryan.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
    Because it's well known that when a war happens, all colors in the area becomes less saturated.
    Lol, yes, and sometimes the entire area will turn into various shades of pale blue.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Matfei View Post
    It's called realism.

I doubt in a war things are going to be particularly idealistic, bright and colourful.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
    People are complaining too much about issues that are just not worth it (IMO of course). You don't like the new color scheme then go back to playing UT2K4. (...) I think you folks need to learn to appreciate things a bit more.
    I think you need to cut down on the fanboyism, set higher standards and stop telling other people what they should do (IMO of course).

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
    Color correction is not done on the maps, but is a global parameter used by the shader code.
    Would there happen to be a way to adjust that parameter?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Color correction is not done on the maps, but is a global parameter used by the shader code.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    People are complaining too much about issues that are just not worth it (IMO of course). You don't like the new color scheme then go back to playing UT2K4. That is why I have both games installed ... I actually like that they are somewhat different and not exactly alike like UT03 and UT04. I think you folks need to learn to appreciate things a bit more. The game is awesome and few games (if any imo) look as good as this game does and deliver the kind of smooth silky gameplay on high settings that no other game this advanced looking can match. If by now you are still complaining about the game have you considered that maybe it is just not for you? It does happen you know ... that is why there are so many different games available for us gamers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok well...i put the world detail to 1 and it does look better less glow/fog and little more color

Leave a comment:

• replied
    From them screen shots you can see that anti alias is turned off or on very low.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Drintion View Post
    I really doubt its possible to play Crysis at that resolution, settings, combined with 16xAA. Dual 8800 Ultra's have a tough time pushing 40+ frames at that resolution with NO AA at all
    Well, to be honest im not sure if AA sticks. I am running XP, so from what I've heard it doesnt matter if you set it to 16 or whatever in the menu, it won't work ingame. The game is still pretty darn amazing without thought, and imo I think they got the DOF, HDR and bloom and such in the game just right. I am down to around 30 FPS at that setting, but it still looks pretty smooth ingame for me except in the most intense fights, like the last scene on the ship. UT3 is pretty smooth too, at over 100 FPS and an alltime low of 65 FPS sometimes in intense fights.

Like many have pointed out here, it helps to turn of bloom/DOF and such in UT3 to bring back some colour, which helps for alot of maps, but turns maps like Coret, which actually is of really good quality visually (props to the level designer there!) down a bit. Like I said earlier in the post, I have this feeling I used to have when mapping for HL and CS, where when I had a leak in the map, it would turn everything to a full bright lighting. Again, this is just my opinion, but I think many here can agree that either many of the levels are missing some proper lighting, or something is just screwing with it all making everything look washed out and wrong.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wolferey View Post
    To further show this, we can compare it to other new games out there.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    A well rounded SP part which looks really good, and a solid MP part too, in terms of graphics.

Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2
    Screenshot 3
    Screenshot 4
    Screenshot 5
    Screenshot 6

Crysis
    Motion blur can be a mixed bowl, but besides that the game looks amazing, specially when you have my rig where you can crank it up to 1920x1200 with 16 AA all settings very high. Jummy! Gotta love the jungle, the winter and the core, crysis is a visual feast for the eye.

Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2
    Screenshot 3
    Screenshot 4
    Screenshot 5
    Screenshot 6
    Screenshot 7

These are just two of the newest games I bothered to find screenshots for, but there are plenty of other games which is also pretty sweet grahpically. I had high hopes for UT3, knowing that UE3 CAN do pretty amazing graphics, as seen in Rainbow 6 Vegas for example. So far, only CTF-Coret gets my approval in UT3 as the best visual map.. somehow it doesn't look as bland as all the other maps. There are some other maps too, but like pointed out, the game does lack that umpf to make it unreal, to make it the standard Epic is known to have on their game, visually.

I am not a fanboy, but I am a fan of the series, and I wish it all the best. Gameplay-wise, most flaws are such nit-picks I don't really mind that they are there, no game is perfect, but **** UT3 is close. Graphically, I am hugely dissapointed. UT3 was to me a holy grail in graphics and I feel I was left with a class of muddy water. UT was colourful, beautiful for its time. UT2k3/4 was great because it was new and fresh and still made me go "woahh" when I played it, granted it had its flaws in too flashy lights. UT3 perfected most of the gameplay, but I have to wonder if Epic have their previous graphics designers locked up somewhere and are using some fairly techy monkeys today.

This is my opinion ofc, some might agree, some might disagree, some might just go "meh" at it all and go back to fragging. I, on the other hand, hope that Epic really do something instead of letting the issues rest (becoming EA/Lucas Arts/SOE). Its making me crazy to think I have a computer that could perhaps run 2 UT3's at the same time, and it looks like a gray drawing in photoshop with bloom/lens flare filters and a brown/blue colour overlay all mixed in on random.

I really doubt its possible to play Crysis at that resolution, settings, combined with 16xAA. Dual 8800 Ultra's have a tough time pushing 40+ frames at that resolution with NO AA at all

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Grayscale 2k7

But the sky in Suspense is more of a hazey white if you turn post processing all the way up =\

(And im not too much a fan of the pavement that looks like wrinkly plastic)

But you tend to forget about it's bland subtleness when you have fast paced action going around you, so it balances out at times ><

Leave a comment:

Working...
X