Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Xyx View Post
    If you take out the weapon and ammo pickups and the neon signs, all that's left is drab browns and grays.

Observe the difference in color contrast...

vCTF-Suspense
    Concept art
    Screenshot

DM-Sanctuary
    Concept art
    Screenshot

vCTF-Containment
    Concept art
    Screenshot

vCTF-Corruption
    Concept art
    Screenshot

The concept art is neither cartoony nor unrealistic. The game is simply bland. The problem is Epic not sticking to their brilliant concept art. The maps were craftily built, but the textures lack color. To make things worse, someone then applied fog, blur, bloom and other post-processing tricks to further dim what color remained.

Note that these screenshots were made to show the game from its best side. I didn't make these myself.

To further show this, we can compare it to other new games out there.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    A well rounded SP part which looks really good, and a solid MP part too, in terms of graphics.

Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2
    Screenshot 3
    Screenshot 4
    Screenshot 5
    Screenshot 6

Crysis
    Motion blur can be a mixed bowl, but besides that the game looks amazing, specially when you have my rig where you can crank it up to 1920x1200 with 16 AA all settings very high. Jummy! Gotta love the jungle, the winter and the core, crysis is a visual feast for the eye.

Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2
    Screenshot 3
    Screenshot 4
    Screenshot 5
    Screenshot 6
    Screenshot 7

These are just two of the newest games I bothered to find screenshots for, but there are plenty of other games which is also pretty sweet grahpically. I had high hopes for UT3, knowing that UE3 CAN do pretty amazing graphics, as seen in Rainbow 6 Vegas for example. So far, only CTF-Coret gets my approval in UT3 as the best visual map.. somehow it doesn't look as bland as all the other maps. There are some other maps too, but like pointed out, the game does lack that umpf to make it unreal, to make it the standard Epic is known to have on their game, visually.

I am not a fanboy, but I am a fan of the series, and I wish it all the best. Gameplay-wise, most flaws are such nit-picks I don't really mind that they are there, no game is perfect, but **** UT3 is close. Graphically, I am hugely dissapointed. UT3 was to me a holy grail in graphics and I feel I was left with a class of muddy water. UT was colourful, beautiful for its time. UT2k3/4 was great because it was new and fresh and still made me go "woahh" when I played it, granted it had its flaws in too flashy lights. UT3 perfected most of the gameplay, but I have to wonder if Epic have their previous graphics designers locked up somewhere and are using some fairly techy monkeys today.

This is my opinion ofc, some might agree, some might disagree, some might just go "meh" at it all and go back to fragging. I, on the other hand, hope that Epic really do something instead of letting the issues rest (becoming EA/Lucas Arts/SOE). Its making me crazy to think I have a computer that could perhaps run 2 UT3's at the same time, and it looks like a gray drawing in photoshop with bloom/lens flare filters and a brown/blue colour overlay all mixed in on random.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Dragon View Post

UT3 running max candy no bloom/gloom bs and it looks 100% better you will need to tweak the ini to get this look

http://forums.gamers.net.nz/showthread.php?t=85927
    I did the settings like on that forum and I think I like it so far.
    Only the first step is not really necessary, you don't really have to delete your old ini. It's just about a few true to false settings.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I just disagree with you plain and simple. And I don't need a Masters degree to say that the game indeed has color and great color at that. I gave specific examples and levels and I used my eyes which have not failed me up to now. I just think it is fine to disagree on this topic ... you obviously feel pretty strongly about your POV as do I mine. Anyway the sky is blue on many of the maps in this game ... I don't how anyone could miss that. Oh well no skin off my nose since I am really enjoying the game and in the end that is all that matters for me since I had to use my money to purchase it. I don't like buying games I end up not playing because they bore me *cough* HL2:Ep2 *cough* and no UT has ever been guilty of that.

What you've said makes sense and I don't think you're wrong per say. Yes there is some examples of color but at least from my perspective, most of the maps are bland. And I don't feel THAT strongly on the topic. I just don't like how EffeKt talks to people. I do respect your opinion though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by BiscuitWaffle View Post
    I love blatant extremes. I went B&W, while you chose gay pride parade.

However, when I look out the window in the summer, the sky is blue and the grass is green. Everything is vivid and visually enticing.

You won't however find me hanging out the window screaming, "OH WTF GOD!?!?! GAY PRIDE PARADE AGAIN!??!!!!"

I don't see anything very artistic about using Brown for every pallet on every map. I like some of the brown maps, but not for every map.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I just disagree with you plain and simple. And I don't need a Masters degree to say that the game indeed has color and great color at that. I gave specific examples and levels and I used my eyes which have not failed me up to now. I just think it is fine to disagree on this topic ... you obviously feel pretty strongly about your POV as do I mine. Anyway the sky is blue on many of the maps in this game ... I don't how anyone could miss that. Oh well no skin off my nose since I am really enjoying the game and in the end that is all that matters for me since I had to use my money to purchase it. I don't like buying games I end up not playing because they bore me *cough* HL2:Ep2 *cough* and no UT has ever been guilty of that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by EffeKt View Post
    Graphic designer eh? What milk advertisement cover you working on? Don't try to impress me with a degree that takes 2 years to get after you've learned how you use one specific program. It doesn't mean you know anything about art history or artistic styles in general, it just means you are in a field thats somewhat creative.
    hahahaha! Actually I have a masters degree which took 6 years. And if you think 1 program is what it takes to get that, you're mistaken. In fact, several of the classes I had to take were art history, historical art styles and color theory; But hey never mind. You must feel very threatened by me to lash out like that, so I'll leave it alone.

My point is that there's lots of ways to make things look industrial without it having radical fluctuations from highlights that are WAY too bright to shadows that are WAY too dark and medium tones that are completely bland. But anyway, tons of people have already hit the nail on the head with their responses.

I was just amused when you stated that everyone must have no clue what they're talking about because they didn't have an art degree. Then when someone had an art degree, you decided to place me in the milk advertisement cover industry.

You've decided that you'll be the poster boy for UT and you believe that you're 100% right on this topic. However, that doesn't make you right. Look at all the hundreds if not thousands of people who want the colors changed.

And then there's you by yourself on your soap box... but maybe I'm wrong.

Oh well, bell's ringing in the Old Milk advertisement factory. Gotta get back to work.

**Btw, the post above me shows very clearly what the problem is... not that you'll take time to look at it or anything.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you take out the weapon and ammo pickups and the neon signs, all that's left is drab browns and grays.

Observe the difference in color contrast...

vCTF-Suspense
    Concept art
    Screenshot

DM-Sanctuary
    Concept art
    Screenshot

vCTF-Containment
    Concept art
    Screenshot

vCTF-Corruption
    Concept art
    Screenshot

The concept art is neither cartoony nor unrealistic. The game is simply bland. The problem is Epic not sticking to their brilliant concept art. The maps were craftily built, but the textures lack color. To make things worse, someone then applied fog, blur, bloom and other post-processing tricks to further dim what color remained.

Note that these screenshots were made to show the game from its best side. I didn't make these myself.

Leave a comment:

• replied

UT3 running max candy no bloom/gloom bs and it looks 100% better you will need to tweak the ini to get this look

http://forums.gamers.net.nz/showthread.php?t=85927

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Graphic designer eh? What milk advertisement cover you working on? Don't try to impress me with a degree that takes 2 years to get after you've learned how you use one specific program. It doesn't mean you know anything about art history or artistic styles in general, it just means you are in a field thats somewhat creative.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why is it such a problem that they wanted to make it look more industrial?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Whatever, clearly you are all art majors and Epic doesn't know what they are doing. It must have been insanely difficult to switch a colour on the program they use; hence why they only left it on brown, and black.
    Actually, whats funny is I'm a very successful graphic designer and I work all day with compositions of Pantone colors. My job requires me to have extensive knowledge of what looks perfect on screen, in print and in the real world. So unfortunately for you, I just might know what I'm talking about.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Matfei View Post
    It's called realism.

I doubt in a war things are going to be particularly idealistic, bright and colourful.
    Realism? look around you. I guarantee the real world is colorful.

War? It's not a war, it's just some standard DM arenas that Epic dressed up like a war shooter... but it looks bland no matter what. Call of Duty (a real war game) has more colors than UT3 does, and that's sad.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Whatever, clearly you are all art majors and Epic doesn't know what they are doing. It must have been insanely difficult to switch a colour on the program they use; hence why they only left it on brown, and black.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I love blatant extremes. I went B&W, while you chose gay pride parade.

However, when I look out the window in the summer, the sky is blue and the grass is green. Everything is vivid and visually enticing.

You won't however find me hanging out the window screaming, "OH WTF GOD!?!?! GAY PRIDE PARADE AGAIN!??!!!!"

I don't see anything very artistic about using Brown for every pallet on every map. I like some of the brown maps, but not for every map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ART STYLE. Not everything needs to look like a gay pride parade to be legitimate, jeeze.
    You keep clinging to that raft.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ART STYLE. Not everything needs to look like a gay pride parade to be legitimate, jeeze.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X