Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    here in the uk we have hundreds of 8800GT for sale

but the new 8800GTS 512MB can nearly beat 8800gtx ultra in some tests asnd is doing cheaper

have a look at this

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175&p=8 on some results only 1fps behina a ultra!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just see the benchmarks. The 8800GT is in a league of it's own compared to the cards that sell for any cheaper, so if you can dish out the extra 50€ which really isn't much, the 8800GT will take you a long way

Now I used to have an AMD/ATI setup, and when I built this rig I really wanted to do the same thing. I wasn't a fanboy, but I found that it used to be a better deal - more performance for the $$$. Anyway, there's just no real alternative to Intel/Nvidia if you want max power, so I was forced to jump ship

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I`m picking up my MSI NX8800GT OC Edition on Friday.......yippee

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I prefer ATI for a number of reasons

Little to ZERO issues with Vista
    Constant Schedule usually monthly Driver updates
    ALL drivers released are typically WHQL certified and thoroughly tested
    Occaisional, rare HOTFIX driver releases typical for make quick fixes so that usually a hot game title can play with little to zero issues.

HD3870 has ultra low power draw/low noise.... in comparison to it's 2900 parent

I've had both 8800's and HD2xxx/3xxx cards.... and i've had the best luck with nvidia within a XP enviroment.. specially with SLI.... where as it's COMPLETELY reversed with vista, where crossfire shows instant improvements usually overall, and just excellent results.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Haven fun trying to find a 8800gt when they are pretty much sold out everywhere. My best bet if you want quality over speed get the 3870 which is also cheap but if you have money to burn go with the 8800gt its your call.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    8800GT 512MB if you can find it at a price closer to the MSRP as it is the better card. If you just find overpriced 8800GTs, it might be in your favor to buy the 3870 instead.

Also, it's silly to pledge allegiance to ATI or Nvidia. Just go with the better card at the time and you'll be happier.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Depending on the price..... and depending on your own experience with the drivers and what your willing to put up with.

The HD3870 beats the 2900xt quite often..... Even in leaps and bounds faster

But depending on the prices available, i can get a hd3870 a hell of alot cheaper... then i can a 8800gt.... which makes the price to performance ratio in favor of the hd3870....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sluggo. View Post
    my motherboard only have pci x16 I heard there isnt much of a power decrease when a pci 2.0 card is in a pci x16 slot is this true?
    No you'll be fine. The advice you've been given so far is solid IMO. 8800gt is a great card at a decent price. I'm running it in a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard (also pci x16) and have had no problems...other than nVidia's drivers requiring me to manually set the fan speed (the 'auto setting' which ramps up the fan speed as the card heats up doesn't work on the latest windows/linux drivers).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Your card is going to be getting most of its power from the power supply lead that you'll plug into it. You wont have any problems with using a 2.0 card in a 1.0 slot.

However, if you're asking if you'll save on power consumption by using pcie 1 over pcie 2; then no, you won't.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    my motherboard only have pci x16 I heard there isnt much of a power decrease when a pci 2.0 card is in a pci x16 slot is this true?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If your case supports regular ATX, then its not a micro atx case.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sluggo. View Post
    i have a micro atx case so I was thinking about getting the pci 2.0 version of 8800gt because it only takes up one slot but it is longer
    is it a mid tower? b/c my X1950GT is just as long as the 8800 and i have a micro ATX mobo and it fits in there just fine. (though my case also supports regular ATX)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Look up the measurements. If it fits, you're making a good choice.

Make sure you have a large, healthy power supply for the new card though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i have a micro atx case so I was thinking about getting the pci 2.0 version of 8800gt because it only takes up one slot but it is longer

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Being a fan is stupid.

These companies don't give a **** what you think of them. They just want your money.

Get the card that has the best bang for your buck.

Over the years, the performance crown goes back and forth and over the years I've had ATi and Nvidia cards. Never had problems with either company. But my money goes where the value is.

In this case, it's the 8800gt right now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X