• Show
Clear All

hd 3870 or 8800 gt pci 2.0 version

which is better? I am not talking about the 640 pci x16 version

8800 GT is faster.

Comment

8800gt hands down

Comment

whats the best ati card to go with for ut3 im more of an ati fan than nvidia? im guessing 2900xt?

Comment

Being a fan is stupid.

These companies don't give a **** what you think of them. They just want your money.

Get the card that has the best bang for your buck.

Over the years, the performance crown goes back and forth and over the years I've had ATi and Nvidia cards. Never had problems with either company. But my money goes where the value is.

In this case, it's the 8800gt right now.

Comment

i have a micro atx case so I was thinking about getting the pci 2.0 version of 8800gt because it only takes up one slot but it is longer

Comment

Look up the measurements. If it fits, you're making a good choice.

Make sure you have a large, healthy power supply for the new card though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggo. View Post
                i have a micro atx case so I was thinking about getting the pci 2.0 version of 8800gt because it only takes up one slot but it is longer
                is it a mid tower? b/c my X1950GT is just as long as the 8800 and i have a micro ATX mobo and it fits in there just fine. (though my case also supports regular ATX)

Comment

If your case supports regular ATX, then its not a micro atx case.

Comment

my motherboard only have pci x16 I heard there isnt much of a power decrease when a pci 2.0 card is in a pci x16 slot is this true?

Comment

Your card is going to be getting most of its power from the power supply lead that you'll plug into it. You wont have any problems with using a 2.0 card in a 1.0 slot.

However, if you're asking if you'll save on power consumption by using pcie 1 over pcie 2; then no, you won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggo. View Post
                        my motherboard only have pci x16 I heard there isnt much of a power decrease when a pci 2.0 card is in a pci x16 slot is this true?
                        No you'll be fine. The advice you've been given so far is solid IMO. 8800gt is a great card at a decent price. I'm running it in a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard (also pci x16) and have had no problems...other than nVidia's drivers requiring me to manually set the fan speed (the 'auto setting' which ramps up the fan speed as the card heats up doesn't work on the latest windows/linux drivers).

Comment

Depending on the price..... and depending on your own experience with the drivers and what your willing to put up with.

The HD3870 beats the 2900xt quite often..... Even in leaps and bounds faster

But depending on the prices available, i can get a hd3870 a hell of alot cheaper... then i can a 8800gt.... which makes the price to performance ratio in favor of the hd3870....

Comment

8800GT 512MB if you can find it at a price closer to the MSRP as it is the better card. If you just find overpriced 8800GTs, it might be in your favor to buy the 3870 instead.

Also, it's silly to pledge allegiance to ATI or Nvidia. Just go with the better card at the time and you'll be happier.

Comment

Haven fun trying to find a 8800gt when they are pretty much sold out everywhere. My best bet if you want quality over speed get the 3870 which is also cheap but if you have money to burn go with the 8800gt its your call.

Comment

Working...
                              X