Enabling anti-aliasing in Unreal Tournament 3 via nHancer,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enabling anti-aliasing in Unreal Tournament 3 via nHancer,

Only do this if you have a somewhat highend PC.

http://www.thattechsite.com/vbulleti...read.php?t=210

First, make sure you have .NET Framework 2.0 from Microsoft installed,
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Second, go download nHancer,
    http://www.nhancer.com/

Now, after installing, open nHancer, and browse through and find "Unreal Tournament III" on the list of games. Select it, and look over to your right. Click the correct check-boxes as you see in the picture below. We see here 16x anti-aliasing (coverage sampled, gamma correct, etc.) has been selected.

Now, once this is done, simply minimize nHancer and it will return to the tool tray in the bottom of your desktop. Now launch Unreal Tournament 3, and see the rather nice change in the graphics. However, please note, this will most likely cut your framerate in half, so only do this if you have a high-end PC, or don't mind playing at really low frames per second.

Alternatively, you can try 2x and 4x with or without gamma correction, etc. to see if you can deal with the framerate using it.
    [screenshot]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/techrelated/UT3nHanced.jpg[/screenshot]

Also, please note that it is possible to enable anti-aliasing in this game via the Nvidia control panel. However, with nHancer, you do not have to rename any .exe files (and therefore lose optimizations for that game), and you have a lot more options to choose from. Also, another thing to remember is that most likely, this will not work on any Nvidia 7-series card (i.e.-7800gtx, 7900gtx, 7950gx2), etc. because of the issue of HDR rendering plus anti-aliasing, and of course, it most likely will not work on an ATI card such as the famous x800-series, etc.

isn't this the same as what nvidia control panel does ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sidesh0w View Post
      isn't this the same as what nvidia control panel does ?
      Also, please note that it is possible to enable anti-aliasing in this game via the Nvidia control panel. However, with nHancer, you do not have to rename any .exe files (and therefore lose optimizations for that game), and you have a lot more options to choose from.
      This is addressed.

Comment

Sorry for the bump, but I can't seem to get this working. I have it all setup, but still no AA..

Comment

What GPU, and what drivers?

Xp or Vista?

Comment

Only SSAA works proper with that amount of Pixel-shaders and stuff, but it eats up Frames like nothing.
            Yesterday i tried 4x4 SSAA at All to High, with 1280x1024, and my GF8800GTS 640 MB will be drop down to only 8 or 10 FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Scheibenwischer View Post
              Only SSAA works proper with that amount of Pixel-shaders and stuff, but it eats up Frames like nothing.
              Yesterday i tried 4x4 SSAA at All to High, with 1280x1024, and my GF8800GTS 640 MB will be drop down to only 8 or 10 FPS.
              Try multi-sampling, or coverage sampling.

Comment

System:
                AMD Anthlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz
                2gb DDR2 Ram
                Geforce 8600 GT 256mb DDR3
                Windows XP SP2

And Latest Nvidia Drivers.

Comment

Wow .. people really refuse to learn the truth about AA and this game .. it is getting ridiculous.

Let me attempt to assist you:

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=595035

And this:

"Antialiasing Support: UT3 uses a technique called Deferred Lighting, which doesn't allow for the use of normal Anti-Aliasing, at least in DX9 mode. Epic has stated that when running in DX10 mode in Vista, the game will allow the use of AA in the future. For the moment there are two ways to force Anti-Aliasing in the game:

# If you run a GeForce 8 series card you can force AA through the Nvidia Forceware Control Panel using the UT3 game profile in the latest Forceware, or rename the UT3.exe file found under the \Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\ directory to BioShock.exe, and use the BioShock profile.
                  # You can apply a brute force method called Supersampling - which works on pretty much any game - using a utility such as nHancer to set 'AA Compatibility mode 45' for the game profile. This is not recommended, as it has a major performance impact and can also cause visual glitches.

A better alternative to either of the above is simply to adjust your Post Processing setting to something like Vivid, which helps cover up aliasing extremely well at a minimal cost in performance."

Hopefully people will understand that any AA they get now is marginal at best and doesn't look nearly as good as it would if the AA support were native like in Gears of War. Just take a look at the two titles (after you force your "AA" of course in UT3 .... forcing DOES NOT WORK AT ALL in Gears so you have to have Vista to set the 4xFSAA ... which is how it will be when the DX10 code for UT3 is released ) and the difference is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoudazo View Post
                    Try multi-sampling, or coverage sampling.
                    Multi sampling doesn't work *sigh* ... please read my post above if you want the actual truth of the matter.

Comment

No, actually you can force anti-aliasing in Gears of War without DX10, *and* it runs better than DX10/anti-aliasing. It's not as good as anti-aliasing in BF2, but it still works quite well.

Next time don't come in here with condescending comments if you don't know what you're talking about.

Comment

Multi-Sampling only handles the Polygon-edges, that saves a hughe amount of Resources, but it does not work on that blurry effects.

Comment

"MaxMultisamples=1

This setting appears to control the use of Multisampling, which is a common form of Anti-Aliasing, used to reduce jaggedness. However at the moment altering this setting has no impact (either in DX9 or DX10 mode) since UT3 does not properly support AA - see Anti-Aliasing under the In-Game Settings section for more details of how you can force AA in UT3. In the future, Epic has stated that an AA option is possible for DX10 mode in Vista."

UT3 Tweakguide

Comment

Originally posted by Spoudazo View Post
                            No, actually you can force anti-aliasing in Gears of War without DX10, *and* it runs better than DX10/anti-aliasing. It's not as good as anti-aliasing in BF2, but it still works quite well.

Next time don't come in here with condescending comments if you don't know what you're talking about.
                            No you cannot force AA ... I have read enough technical articles on the web so I know what I am talking about ... believe what you want to but maybe you should read more and learn to listen to people who have a much better grasp on technology than you (and no I am not talking about me ... I am talking the numerous number of technical folks who write articles that cover this online).

Why not read what I pointed to instead of taking offense so quickly and telling people things that are not true ...

Comment

Epic has done a lot of Statements in the Past, and not all of them are true...
                              SSAA works pretty well under DX9, but as i said, it eats up Frames like nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X