Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In defense of X-axis inversion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    In defense of X-axis inversion

    I just learned that UT3 on the PS3 does not offer an option to invert the X axis (left/right) in addition to the option to invert the Y axis (up/down), and I'm getting pretty tired of missing out on great games because of this omission (playing without X axis inversion gives me severe motion sickness). I'm posting here in the hopes of seeing if there are many other X axis inverters out there and to let Epic know that this is such a small feature that is really appreciated. I had to skip Gears of War for this exact same reason and I was equally as bummed that I had to sit on the sidelines for that as well.

    More often than not, whenever I mention this "handicap", people have a hard time understanding why in the world I'd want it, and I was finally able to find something that helps illustrate the point:

    Laser beams of death!

    If one of those handsome fellows wanted to point their laser beam of death towards an object to their upper-left, they would push down-right on their handles. That's how my brain operates. The handles on the laser guns would represent an analog stick, the glass shields would represent the TV screen and the spiral shafts would represent the weapon model as seen in-game. My brain won't function any other way and, as I said, I get extremely sick to the point of puking if I try to play "normal".

    This seems like it would be such a simple and easy option to implement into a game and I'd sincerely appreciate it if something like this could be considered for an upcoming patch. I've been a giant UT fan since I saw a PC in EBGames running the demo in 1999 (I actually can't stand traditional single-player campaigns in FPS games solely because I cut my teeth on UT and can't imagine playing an FPS any other way) and I'd love to be able to finally play some raw Unreal Tournament again since my PC can't handle the game.

    Thanks!

    #2
    That's very....odd. I doubt it'll be able to be put in though. You might be able to get something for Windows to do it, though.

    Comment


      #3
      tbh this is an easy thing to apply and should be there for the small ammount of people who find it usefull!

      Comment


        #4
        whoa I've never heard of x-axis inversion actually being used. However I do completely understand your frustration. On consoles I have to have inversion on the Y axis in order to even play most games. Strange that that doesn't carry over to PC where I just leave everything set to "normal".

        Anyways when games don't include simple little options like that it really saddens me because it shows a lack of polish and consideration. True features like that could be added later on but it's just such a simple thing and for many a necessary feature. Hopefully this issue can be remedied soon.

        ~FalseEmperor aka False

        Comment


          #5
          Thanks for the kind words, guys. I get the feeling nothing will change and I'll just have to sit this one out as usual, but it was a nice surprise to see such sympathy towards a random stranger on the internet.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Unknown Target View Post
            That's very....odd. I doubt it'll be able to be put in though. You might be able to get something for Windows to do it, though.
            What? This would be very, very easy. But it is up to EPIC if they decide to put it in.

            @original poster
            For "instant action" you could put up a request for an x-axis mutator in the mod request forum.

            http://utforums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=339

            Comment


              #7
              You could try remapping your left and right controls....? I don't see why that's not possible.

              Comment


                #8
                Yes he can invert both his x and y axis with an ini edit to UTInput

                Code:
                Bindings=(Name="MouseX",Command="Count bXAxis | Axis aMouseX Speed=-2.0")
                Bindings=(Name="MouseY",Command="Count bYAxis | Axis aMouseY Speed=-2.0")
                The negative sign in front of the 2.0 in the Speed parameter flips the axis the binding is for. He can use -1.0 if he doesn't want to alter the speed.

                These are just the standard binding statements for the mouses axis...es... with the speed=<whatever> parameter added in...

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
                  What? This would be very, very easy. But it is up to EPIC if they decide to put it in.

                  @original poster
                  For "instant action" you could put up a request for an x-axis mutator in the mod request forum.

                  http://utforums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=339
                  I've heard talk of being able to put mods on the PS3 version of the game, but are Mutators possible as well? Will I be prevented from joining online games if I have a Mutator active? Any other side-effects?

                  Originally posted by dickbird View Post
                  Yes he can invert both his x and y axis with an ini edit to UTInput
                  Originally posted by Maximum_Jason View Post
                  You could try remapping your left and right controls....? I don't see why that's not possible.
                  As for these most recent comments, I'm speaking specifically about the PS3 version which, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't have any editable INI files. Thanks for helping, though!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    oh ps3... dang, sorry to hear that

                    I did read a press release last night where Mark Rein said there would be modding tools for the ps3 version.

                    Guess that would be your only hope, unless there's some editable configurations to mess with.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hey man I feel you on the x-axis inversion. I used to be one of the ones who thought an inverted x-axis was weird. But after playing through Final Fantasy 12, which forced you to use an inverted x-axis, my brain simply has not been able to adjust to games without it. Luckily the games I have, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Uncharted, give you the option to invert both axes. I think all console game makers should allow both axes to be inverted. I mean if you allow one axis, Y, why not the other?

                      On my PC I don't invert either axis and for some strange reason my brain doesn't mind a bit. If I move my mouse up I expect to look up, if I move it left I expect to look left. But when I pick up a controller for a console my brain immediately pushes right to look left. Thankfully, Epic allows keyboard and mouse with the PS3 version of UT3 so that'll tide me over until they, hopefully, allow an inverted x-axis. Though I suspect I'm so used to keyboard and mouse with UT on the PC I won't want to give it up on the PS3, hehe.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by zzhumphreyt View Post
                        Hey man I feel you on the x-axis inversion. I used to be one of the ones who thought an inverted x-axis was weird. But after playing through Final Fantasy 12, which forced you to use an inverted x-axis, my brain simply has not been able to adjust to games without it. Luckily the games I have, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Uncharted, give you the option to invert both axes. I think all console game makers should allow both axes to be inverted. I mean if you allow one axis, Y, why not the other?

                        On my PC I don't invert either axis and for some strange reason my brain doesn't mind a bit. If I move my mouse up I expect to look up, if I move it left I expect to look left. But when I pick up a controller for a console my brain immediately pushes right to look left. Thankfully, Epic allows keyboard and mouse with the PS3 version of UT3 so that'll tide me over until they, hopefully, allow an inverted x-axis. Though I suspect I'm so used to keyboard and mouse with UT on the PC I won't want to give it up on the PS3, hehe.
                        We are the exact same, my brother, I don't invert either when I use a mouse but I have to have both inverted for console shooters.

                        At this point I think our only remaining hope is that Mutators will work on the PS3 version, but we won't know until the update is released to the editor which would allow us to cook them ourselves. I'll certainly post back in this thread with any results I find either way, I really hope I can play this game.

                        Additionally, I'm hoping the Mutator won't have any side-effects like blocking us from joining online games. I really hope it's just something that we can silently tweak so we can enjoy the game but honestly my faith is dwindling

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I use regular axis in everything, but when possible I like to have inverted axis in vehicles. I hate when developers don't take care of simple little things like this, whether I use them or not.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X